Family beach holidays and safaris in Tanzania
With excellent wildlife, lovely, white sandy island beaches and good transport links between them, Tanzania has huge potential for family safari and beach holidays. In reality, only a handful of safari camps and beach holiday lodges are suitable for family holidays in Tanzania; we've highlighted the best below.
Family safari holidays in TanzaniaTanzania safaris seldom include kids clubs, but the amazing wildlife and environment, combined with safari activities designed for children, can make up for that. Start by considering the ages of your children -
- Due to the malaria risk, we don't usually recommend a Tanzania safari for family holidays with toddlers.
- For slightly older children, around 6-12 years old, many safari camps and lodges are ruled out because of their open nature and high densities of big game. That said, parents might consider Hatari Lodge, near Arusha.
- For children over about 8 years old the choices are wider:
- The larger 'hotel-style' lodges in Northern Tanzania have less wildlife wondering through them than small bush lodges, and so are safer for children. Linking these into a privately guided family safari holiday will work very well, especially if we arrange a guide who is experienced with children. That said - you might feel quite 'enclosed' in the closed vehicles; it's important that these trips are designed very carefully to be successful.
- For a more 'open-air' family safari in Tanzania, we would recommend the Selous Game Reserve and Ruaha National Park in Southern Tanzania. Camps here are smaller, with lighter footprints; they're more open and activities are more varied. Older children will love the open-topped vehicles, boat trips and just sitting around campfires at night. Do ask us about a private vehicle; it'll also make a massive difference!
Beach holidays for families in TanzaniaBecause Tanzania's coast is seldom very far from its game reserves, you can easily combine family beach holidays with safaris in Tanzania without long internal flights! There are so many choices of beach holidays for families in Zanzibar that this island warrants its own section on our website; see Zanzibar family beach holidays. Several options on Tanzania's Mafia Island also work well for families wanting low-key trips far from any bright lights; see below.
Family holidays in Tanzania: the 10 best safari camps and beach lodges
Chole Mjini Lodge|92% (15 reviews)The original Chole Mjini, which feels quiet but social, is charming for Tanzania family beach holidays with older children. Most kids love its six wooden tree houses, the ruins to explore around and activities like dhow trips and snorkeling in Chole Bay. More about Chole Mjini Lodge
Four Seasons Safari Lodge SerengetiNext to a waterhole, The Four Seasons Seregeti is a large, international-style hotel that makes for relatively safe, luxurious family safari holidays in Tanzania, ideally with children 8+. It's one of the few with special children’s activities, coordinated by an enthusiastic guide... More about Four Seasons Serengeti
Gibb's Farm|85% (26 reviews)At Gibb’s Farm, a tastefully furnished old farmhouse with beamed ceilings and stone floors, children of all ages can learn about farming, help with cows and pigs, go on guided walks, mountain biking or play in the garden during Tanzania family holidays. Cots and highchairs are provided... More about Gibbs Farm
Hatari Lodge|93% (3 reviews)Easily accessible and home to little dangerous game, Arusha is a good destination for family safari holidays in Tanzania with children of all ages. Walking and canoeing here add variation to a family safari. The 60s-themed Hatari happily arranges special meals for children. More about Hatari Lodge
Kiba PointKiba Point is an exclusive-use camp for up to eight guests on family safari holidays in Tanzania with children 8+. In a design of simple elegance, it provides excellent food and service - with its own drivers, vehicles and chefs. Note that it has steep drops and high game risks! More about Kiba Point
Lake Manze Adventure Camp|93% (142 reviews)Lake Manze Camp makes for affordable Tanzania family safari holidays with sensible children, best aged 10+, in an informal atmosphere. With no electricity and a rustic design, it gives a strong sense of wilderness. Triple rooms and early dining can be arranged. More about Lake Manze Camp
Mwagusi Safari Camp|95% (74 reviews)Overlooking a seasonal river in Ruaha, Mwagusi Camp is a quirky, owner-run camp, which feels comfortable though fairly rustic. Come for 4WD drives, (competently guided) walks and brilliant service on your family safari holidays in Tanzania! We recommend it for mature children 10+... More about Mwagusi Safari Camp
Ngorongoro Farmhouse Lodge|95% (4 reviews)Ngorongoro Farmhouse is a good-value base without age restrictions for Tanzania family holidays - and a working farm! Expect extensive lawns, animals, a large pool, funky highchairs, flexible dining and games like volleyball! You'll need to book private vehicle and guide. More about Farmhouse Lodge
Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge|88% (5 reviews)The simple, good-value Rhotia Valley Lodge works with a local orphanage where your children can encounter and play with local kids. The lodge also offers special children’s meals and flexible dining. We recommend it for family holidays in Tanzania with older children. More about Rhotia Valley Ttd. Lodge
Selous Impala Camp|96% (199 reviews)At night when you mustn’t walk unaccompanied on the ground, Selous Impala’s family tents allow passing between two tents as they’re set on one platform. Come with up to three children (all ages) for boat trips and flexible durations of drives on your Tanzania family safari! More about Impala Camp