Constance Ephelia is a new but very smart resort in an amazing location on Mahe
Constance Ephelia Resort: Our full report
Constance Ephelia Resort is set on the western coast of Mahé Island, overlooking two stunning beaches, a number of secluded coves, and Port Launay Marine National Park. It's the sister hotel of Lemuria, on Praslin, although we expect that the Ephelia will cater to slightly more visitors because they charge slightly lower prices.
Ephelia Resort of Seychelles opened in February 2010, but none of the Expert Africa team has yet visited. Discussing the hotel with the Ephelia team, we understand the following.
Ephelia Resort has 267 suites and villas, and a variety of different accommodation options. All suites and villas have complimentary WIFI, a TV, and a Mac mini (with iPod connection, DVD & CD player), as well as en-suite bathrooms with a bath tub, a separate shower and double vanities.
• There are 184 Junior suites (62m²) and 40 Senior suites (80m²) at Constance Ephelia Resort. Each suite has a small sitting area, a double bedroom, as well as an additional sofa bed to accommodate a child younger than 12. Beside this, all suites are equipped with air-conditioning, a ceiling fan, a mini bar, a safe and a telephone.
• The 12 Family villas are quiet spacious (350m²) and designed for a maximum of six persons. They have three bedrooms, one of which has twin beds, with en-suite bathrooms, a private swimming pool, and a courtyard including outside dining facilities.
• Ephelia's 12 Beach villas (370m²) are set on the resort's north beach. They have two double bedrooms and two sofa beds for children, as well as en-suite bathrooms, a private pool and a pergola. The beach villas are ideal for two small families to share.
• In addition, there are 8 Hillside villas at Constance Ephelia Resort. Five Hillside villas have only one bedroom (120m²), three have two bedrooms (220m²), but all offer a private plunge pool and views over Port Launay Marine Park.
• The 10 Spa Villas (330m²) are designed for total relaxation, with a number of meditation & calm zones. They each have one spacious bedroom to accommodate two adults, a private swimming pool, a pergola, and a special en-suite bathroom with a treatment area.
• Ephelia's highlight is the Presidential villa. This extends over 980m², with three spacious bedrooms, a private gym & spa, its own swimming pool and adjacent deck with dining facilities – not to mention the awe-inspiring views of the sparkling Indian Ocean.
The central facilities at Ephelia Resort of Seychelles include five restaurants & bars, where gourmets are spoilt for choice. From antipasti to sushi; from local dishes to French haute cuisine; and from freshly brewed ice teas to single malt whiskies – those places will leave nothing to be desired (or so we're told ...)!
Beside this, there are five boutiques offering basic day-to-day items, as well as a range of Seychelles art and handmade craft. A supervised kid's club is open daily from 9am to 10pm, and organise all kinds of child-friendly activities and excursions.
The resort also has conference facilities, but Ephelia probably won't seem like the right place for work – its focal point will be the 'Spa de Constance', with a number of different treatment rooms, a yoga pavilion, a sauna and a Jacuzzi, set in lush tropical gardens. The ten Spa villas are part of the Spa village, and guests staying here are able to enjoy pampering treatments and massages in the privacy of their own bathroom.
There are a huge choice of activities at Constance Ephelia: four swimming pools, a well-equipped gym and tennis and squash courts. Equipment for non-motorised watersports – including snorkelling, kayaking and windsurfing – is available at no extra charge. An extra charge will apply for motorised watersports (e.g. diving and fishing), as well as for the rent of tennis equipment, and probably for tennis & yoga lessons. For sun-seekers, the warm tropical waters and sands of Port Launay are just a mere hop, skip and jump away, and Mahé is a great place to explore with a hire car. Ask us for details!
Our ViewSet on the quiet western coast of Mahé Island, Ephelia Resort of Seychelles should be a comfortable, luxurious and well-appointed place, with many facilities and beautiful lush surroundings. It is aiming to be ideal for couples and small families, and their introductory rates are very competitive and great value!
Ideal length of stay: Ephelia Resort will be sufficiently big that many visitors will probably only come here for a week or two. That said, it will probably also work very well as the first half of a two-centre trip, combined with its sister-resort on Praslin, Lemuria.
Directions: Situated on the western coast of Mahé, Ephelia Resort is about an hour's drive from Seychelles International Airport and about 30 minutes from the island's capital, Victoria.
Owner: Ephelia Resort is owned by the Constance Hotels Experience Group.
Food & drink
Food quality: There will be five restaurants and bars at Ephelia Resort of Seychelles, each with its own individual style and concept:
• Corossol 'Live' and Main bar: Corossol restaurant on the resort's south beach will serve breakfasts of pastries and homemade breads, as well as international dinners in a buffet style, including Asian dishes, pizza & pasta, and meals prepared on a grill or plancha. It will be opened daily, and seat up to 320 persons. The Main bar will offer a vast variety of drinks and cocktails, with live music and dancing in the evening; there will also be a relaxing lounge area and an outside wooden terrace.
• Helios 'Mediterranean' and Helios bar: Helios restaurant is planned to serve lunch, as well as tea, pancakes and ice-cream from 3 to 5pm daily, and dinner on special theme evenings. Lunch will be served buffet-style, including a variety of snacks, tapas, mezze, antipasti, fish, pasta and pizza – baked in the restaurants wood-burning oven. Next to it, Helios bar will have a selection of classic drinks and cocktails, as well as freshly brewed ice teas and hot & cold coffee drinks on offer.
• Adam & Eve 'Ethnic Grill' and Adam & Eve bar: Adam & Eve restaurant should be open daily from 12 to 5pm, and provide an a la carte menu of lunches, including salads, skewers, meat and fish dishes, and 'native breads', served with their signature chutney. The restaurant is also likely to be opened for theme evenings. Adam & Eve bar will probably specialise in healthy drinks, smoothies, fresh juices and local drink.
• Cyann 'Signature cuisine' and Cyann bar: Cyann is the resort's haute cuisine restaurant. It plans to open six days a week for lunch and dinner, and serve French cuisine, mixed with Asian influences and local flavours; there are plans for a sushi bar and a wine cellar. Cyann bar will specialise in aged rums, single malt whiskies, rare spirits, and sake, but guests will also be able enjoy a glass of wine on the outside deck.
• Seselwa 'Cuisine des Iles' and Seselwa bar: Seselwa restaurant plans to open seven days a week, and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast will be served in a buffet style; for lunch and dinner, guests will be able to choose from an a la carte menu of Creole dishes and seafood. Seselwa bar will probably be the best place to sip a tropical cocktail or a cool beer in a relaxed atmosphere – and a place to socialise with fellow guests.
Dining style: Individual Tables
Dining locations: Indoor and Outdoor Dining
Attitude towards children: Children will be welcome at Ephelia Resort.
Special activities & services: Ephelia Resort will have a kid's club for children aged 4 to 12, including a games room and a dining area. It plans to offer a supervised, daily programme, as well as indoor & outdoor activities and excursions. The kid's club will be opened daily from 9am to 10pm. A special children's menu (including gourmet baby food) should be available on request; babysitting can probably be arranged at an extra charge.
Generally recommended for children: Yes
Notes: Ephelia Resort plans to have 12 vast Family Villas with three bedrooms (one twin), to accommodate a maximum of six persons. The resort's Junior & Senior Suites, as well as the Beachside Villas will have additional sofa beds for children under the age of 12.
Power supply: Mains Electricity
Communications: There will be a telephone in all of the suites, and complimentary WiFi in all of the suites and villas at Constance Ephelia Resort.
TV & radio: Each suite and villa at Ephelia Resort will have a LCD TV, as well as a Mac mini with iPod connection, CD and DVD player.
Health & safety
Malarial protection recommended: No
Medical care: Constance Ephelia Resort will have its own infirmary.
Dangerous animals: Low Risk
Laundry facilities: Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
Money: The hotel will accept traveller's cheques, and cash payments in Euro, US Dollar, UK Pounds and Seychelles Rupees.
Accepted payment on location: Ephelia Resort will accept all major credit cards, as well as traveller's cheques.