The Bay Hotel is one of Cape Towns premier beach front hotels located in vibrant Camps Bay.
Bay Hotel: Our full report
The Bay Hotel has one of the best beachfront locations in Cape Town. It is situated at the foot of Table Mountain, across the road from the palm-fringed beach of Camps Bay.
The location of the Bay Hotel is within walking distance of the numerous restaurants and cafes of trendy Camps Bay. A short 10-minute drive takes you to the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town city centre or to the cable car station, from where you can smoothly be whisked about 1000m up to the top of Table Mountain. In short the Bay has an ideal location for exploring Cape Town.
Inside the Bay Hotel feels bright, light and airy; expect an exclusively white exterior to fade only a little inside – softened by natural marble floors and a few beiges and earthy tones. With its sea-front location, and cool, modern décor, the Bay is Africa's answer to trendy spots in southern California and Miami.
The Bay Hotel has 78 guest rooms, all identically decorated in soft, neutral colours. These are divided into about seven different types of rooms, differing mainly in their locations. Note that different locations and views can make a huge different to the price of the rooms.
In summary, the Bay Hotel's basic room types are:
- Mountain room - these face south and east, and have side-views of Table Mountain.
- Classic room - the same size as the mountain rooms, these also have a good balcony. All classic rooms face north or west, and have direct access to the pool.
- Classic club room - the same size as the mountain rooms, but these face north and have partial sea and mountain views.
- Premier room - the same size as the mountain rooms, most premier rooms have great views of the sea, with a handful facing north to Lions Head, and most are split-level, with the separate seating area on a lower level, leading out onto the balcony.
- Luxury room - bigger than the rooms mentioned above, each luxury room has a sitting area and a west-facing balcony, complete with private jacuzzi. The larger bathroom in these rooms includes an oval bath and separate shower.
- Suite - These large rooms have the facilities of the luxury rooms, but with more space and a separate lounge, rather than one that's part of the bedroom.
- Penthouse - on the top floor of the Bay Hotel, there is only one penthouse suite. It's very luxurious and reached from an exclusive staircase and lobby. This penthouse has a private dining room and lounge, complete with plasma TV and a surround-sound stereo system, as well as a separate guest bathroom. The balcony is huge, and has an amazing view of Camp's Bay beach and the ocean.
All the rooms at the Bay Hotel have a small entrance lobby to separate the bedroom from the outside corridor. Inside the room, all have tea- and coffee-making facilities, a mini-bar, an internet connection, and a radio/alarm clock with ipod docking station and remote-controlled air-conditioning. All have en suite bathrooms with cream tiled walls and floors, a toilet, a bath, a shower cubicle and double wash-basins with a range of complementary toiletries.
Along the wide ground-floor corridor to the rooms you will find an art gallery displaying works by local artists which are for sale.
The Bay Hotel has a large outdoor solar heated swimming pool surrounded by a series of wooden decks on different levels, each having plenty of white-and-wood sunloungers under equally pale umbrellas. There are a further three smaller swimming pools in the grounds, allowing guests to find quiet areas to relax and enjoy the Cape sunshine.
A small deli, located in the main hotel foyer, has easy access to the outside pool area and it serves light lunches and drinks. There is also a small wine shop in the foyer selling local wines which offers free wine-tasting every second evening.
In the hotel's main restaurant, Tides, which serves à la carte breakfast and dinner, all is light and airy with large windows that slide open on to reveal views towards the beach. It is decorated in soft creams and browns enlivened by African-print fabrics.
Enjoy cocktails on the deck of Sandy B bar while watching the sun setting over the Atlantic, or - for a quieter drinking experience - visit the more sedate and elegant Traders bar upstairs, a sophisticated bar/lounge with an impressive walk-in cellar.
Our viewThe Bay offers five-star accommodation with an unusual combination for Cape Town: a top beach location which also has plenty of buzzy bars, restaurants and nightlife. It certainly best suits a young, lively crowd and the bar here is often visited by Cape Town's smarter residents in search of a chic sundowner spot. Off-season (May-Sept), its rates reduce significantly.
The Bay probably won't suit older visitors, or those seeking peace and quiet, as its location beside the beachfront road in Camp's Bay is far too busy! It's a place to see and be seen, not a retreat for solitude.
Ideal length of stay: 4 - 5 days
Accessible by: Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Owner: Village and Life
Food & drink
Usual board basis: B&B
Dining style: Individual Tables
Dining locations: Indoor and Outdoor Dining
Drinks included: No
Further dining info: Yes
Property’s age restrictions: No children under the age of 12.
Special activities & services: None
Generally recommended for children: No
Notes: The hotel has no inter-leading rooms; it's really not a family hotel.
Power supply: Mains Electricity
Communications: There is business and travel centre with internet and fax facilities for guests to use. The main lobby area has wireless (WiFi) for those who have their own laptops.
TV & radio: Yes – local and satellite.
Health & safety
Malarial protection recommended: No
Medical care: There are doctors and hospitals nearby.
Security measures: There is a security guard at the gate and all guests are given a guest pass to allow entry into the property. There are security guards on duty in the grounds 24 hours a day.
Fire safety: Yes there are fire prevention measures in place as befitting a five-star hotel.
Disabled access: In Place
Laundry facilities: Available at an extra charge,
Money: Money exchange is possible. There are electronic safes in all the rooms.
Accepted payment on location: Most international credit cards are accepted as well as travellers cheques. Cash is accepted in SA rands, pounds sterling, US dollars and euros.