Am Weinberg Boutique Hotel: Our full report
Am Weinberg Boutique Hotel is an understated but upmarket hotel in a quiet suburb of Klein Windhoek, within ...... a short drive of the centre of the Namibian capital. Set on an established estate that was originally a vineyard, it is contemporary in style with plenty of facilities, yet at its heart is the original estate house, now a national monument.
The hotel stands on the Am Weinberg Estate, a self-contained “village” that boasts an enviable range of amenities, including five restaurants, a delicatessen, a well-equipped gym-with-a-view, an upmarket spa with a pool, and a hair salon for both men and women; there’s even an on-site bank with ATM. Although we did not stay here on our last visit in 2019, we were impressed by the facilities and the standard of accommodation.
From the entrance to the estate, a long driveway curves around to the front of the hotel where a flight of stairs leads down to the reception area (though there’s a lift for whose would prefer). Here, helpful, friendly staff are on hand to check in and assist with any requests.
Leading off the reception area is a library cum lounge, lined with bookshelves and tastefully furnished with a range of armchairs, comfortable two- and three-seater sofas and high-back chairs. Side tables and large coffee tables are strategically placed, along with reading lamps, softened by pot plants and various pieces of artwork on the walls.
A feature of the adjacent restaurant, known as the Wine Lounge, is a small lounge where guests can enjoy a pre-dinner glass of wine. Double glass doors open out onto the courtyard with its fountain and plenty of shaded seating areas, where breakfast is sometimes served.
Throughout this main area, the décor is a mixture of rich textures in soft greys, with cushions in bold reds, blues, greens and sometimes floral patterns adding splashes of colour.
The hotel’s 41 rooms are linked by wide air-conditioned passages with high ceilings. Each room is en-suite, with full air conditioning and king-size or twin beds. The tasteful décor in hues of light greys, creams, silver, white and brown is enlivened by a bold-coloured fabric headboard and bright scatter cushions. A tea/coffee station is tucked away inside one of the drawers, and an electronic safe in the wardrobe. In the bathrooms – most with a shower rather than a bath and shower – you’ll find luxury shower gel, conditioning shampoo and body lotion, as well as a hairdryer.
The rooms are divided into six types:
- 12 Courtyard Fountain Level Rooms each have a shower rather than a bath. Rooms 1 and 2, which have interleading doors, can be combined to create a family room. A third room in this style offers disabled access.
- 16 Courtyard Upper Level Rooms are similar, with balconies looking out onto the courtyard below.
- 2 Courtyard Upper Level Rooms come with a bath. These rooms are on the first floor and have a small balcony overlooking the courtyard.
- 3 Courtyard Superior Upper Level Rooms are more spacious than the other Courtyard rooms. Two of these have both bath and shower, and a balcony with a seating area facing the courtyard.
- 3 Oasis Loft Apartments, in a separate wing of the hotel, feature a small living area along with a dining table, kitchen counter and sink, a minibar and espresso machine; crockery and cutlery are available on request.
- 7 Oasis Family Loft Apartments, in the same wing as the Loft Apartments, are set on two levels. The main bedroom with bath and shower is up a winding staircase, while downstairs are a sofa bed for two children to share, a dining table, a small kitchen counter with tea-making facilities and an espresso machine, and a minibar.
With 12 treatment rooms, the Soulstice Spa offers a wide range of treatments, from massages and flotation therapy to a rasul chamber. The spa also has a sizeable outdoor pool with a separate jet pool. Please note, however, that children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the spa area.
A gorgeous hotel tucked away in a quiet suburb of Klein Windhoek, Am Weinberg offers 41 stylish rooms, almost unrivalled amenities for such a small hotel, and great views from the Sky Lounge. It would make a good option for a mini vacation or for some pampering and relaxation at the start or end of any safari around Namibia.
- Windhoek, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- One or two nights, usually at the start or end of your holiday in Namibia.
- Am Weinberg is at 13 Jan Jonker Street, just off Sam Nujoma Drive in the quiet suburb of Klein Windhoek.
The hotel offers airport transfers and transfers into the city centre, both at an extra charge.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- There is a choice of five restaurants on the estate, where in-house guests can dine and charge the bill to their room. Alternatively, small groups may arrange to be served in the hotel’s dining room within the specified times.
The hotel’s own restaurant, the Wine Lounge, serves the following meals:
Breakfast, from 6.30 to 10.00am, is a cold buffet of cereals, fruit juices, bread, yoghurt and tea or (very good) coffee, followed by menu items from a traditional cooked breakfast to crumpets served with fresh strawberries, cream and syrup.
Lunch (11.00am–4.00pm) and dinner (6.00–10.00pm) are served from a set menu. This may include starters of baked bone marrow, risotto, mini burgers or cheese filo pastry, with mains of steak, salmon or pork belly with related sides. The selection of desserts may include.mini milk tarts, apple crumble, crême brulée or a mix of all three.
When I last dined at the Cape Town Fish Market, in May 2019, the food was very good. I tucked into deep-fried fish tacos and sampled a few of their refreshing mocktails.
- Family holidays
- The Am Weinberg Hotel is an excellent option for families travelling in Namibia. Spacious family apartments in a separate wing have baby cots and changing tables available. The hotel restaurant has a children’s menu, and there’s a choice of five other restaurants on the private estate.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Solo Travel
- With excellent facilities and amenities on a private estate not far from the centre of Windhoek, including a well-maintained gym, a state-of-the-art spa and five restaurants, the Am Weinberg would make a good choice for solo travellers in Namibia.
- See ideas for Solo Travel
- With couples’ packages at the Soulstice Spa, a choice of five restaurants within the estate’s grounds, and the option of private dining, Am Weinberg would make an excellent start or end to a honeymoon in Namibia.
- See ideas for Honeymoons
- The range of treatments and facilities at Am Weinberger’s Soulstice Spa is exceptional, from flotation therapy to a rasul chamber and an outdoor pool with a jet pool. For all-round pampering on a Namibia holiday, this would be a great option.
- See ideas for Wellbeing
- On a private estate in an upmarket suburb of Windhoek, Am Weinberg offers comfortable and stylish rooms, five on-site restaurants and a state-of-the-art spa. For a spot of luxury in the Namibian capital, it’s a strong contender.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- The Am Weinberg Boutique Hotel welcomes children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Children under the age of 13 are not permitted in the spa area, so cannot make use of the pool.
- Special activities & services
- There are no special activities for children, but Am Weinberg has special family loft rooms, and can organise a childminder for young children if parents want to go out. Note, however, that he/she may not be formally qualified in childcare.
- There are cots, a baby bath and a changing table, but no high chairs in the restaurants.
- Generally recommended for children
- The family lofts are in a different wing of the hotel, away from the other guest rooms, which is a plus, and there is plenty of space for children to run around. Note, however, that as children under 13 are not permitted in the spa area, they cannot make use of the pool.
- Power supply notes
- Mains with a back-up generator
- There is a telephone in each room and the family lofts have telephones both downstairs and upstairs. There is very good, fast WiFi on the estate and also cellphone reception, but note that no cellphones are permitted in the spa area.
- TV & radio
- Each of the rooms has a TV with satellite channels, discreetly hidden behind an arched mirror.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Only rooms 30, 26, 27 and 28 have both a bath and shower; the majority of rooms have only a shower.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and hospitals in Windhoek.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- Am Weinberg is on a secure property with a guardhouse and lockable gates. There is secure undercover parking available and guests are supplied with keys to the gates for 24-hour access. A security guard is on the property during the night.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are positioned throughout the hotel and outside some of the rooms, and there is an emergency evacuation plan in each room next to the door.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service and a dry-cleaning service are available at extra cost; every room has a laundry list with prices.
- There is a bank on the premises with an ATM, and currency exchange is available. Each room has an electronic safe for storing travel documents and valuables.
- Accepted payment on location
- All major credit cards are accepted, except Diners’ Card, as are cash payments in Namibian dollars and South African Rand.
Other lodges in Windhoek
Alternative places to stay in this same area.