Beho Beho Bailey's Banda: Our full report
Bailey's Banda is located to the northwest of Beho Beho, slightly higher up than the main lodge, and just ...... out of sight of it. A luxury stone cottage designed to give an exclusive, secluded experience to its guests, it has something of the cast of a stone house in France about it, and takes just one family or group at a time who book the house exclusively.
The palm-thatched stone banda has two floors, each with its own double bedroom, a huge double bed and a balcony. The ground floor has an open plan dinning room and living area; this spills out onto the split-level sun deck, which overlooks the 4.5m x 2.5m (15ft x 8ft) swimming pool and valley below. Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom with double basins, a free-standing bath, and downstairs an outdoor shower. The building is decorated with simple stone floors, dark wood trim and a mixture of white, and dry brick walls.
The banda is made to feel like a home from home in the African bush, and as such it has all the frills of a luxury house. There is a satellite TV with a DVD player, an iPod dock, Wi-Fi and a large kitchen, which comes complete with a personal chef. There is also a waiter and housekeeper, though you share your guides with the guests at the main Beho Beho lodge. Dining arrangements are flexible – meals can be served inside at the dinner table, outside on the veranda or out on game drives.
The entire stay at Bailey’s is designed to accommodate the guests who stay there. Game viewing activities can be done when you want, how you want, and for as long as you want (within reason!). Game walks are possible from the banda; guests also have their own exclusive safari vehicle and a private boat that can be taken out onto nearby Lake Tagalala.
There is a supplement for sole occupancy of Bailey’s Banda. There is a maximum capacity usually of five guests in a family group or a party of friends, and you have book the banda before arriving at Beho Beho so please speak to one of our Tanzania specialists if this is something that interests you.
Bailey’s Banda is a good option for any couple, a family or friends travelling together who want a luxurious but quiet safari experience. It is a great base to explore the Selous, and when guests return to the banda they can relax in the privacy of their own bush home. It is best suited for families who want to experience the quality of Beho Beho exclusively to themselves.
- Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- 3 – 4 nights
- It’s a 45-minute flight from Dar es Salaam into the Selous Game Reserve, where you will land at Beho Beho’s own airstrip.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- For more on the food here, read our report on Beho Beho. Meals at Bailey's are prepared in the main lodge kitchen and finished in the kitchen at the private banda.
- Family holidays
- Beho Beho Bailey’s Banda is great for families with older children (12+) who want to have a first class safari experience exclusively to themselves.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Private villas & houses
- Bailey’s Banda is a great private safari house for an exclusive holidays. It can host up to five people travelling together and comes with a private chef, 4WD and your own guide so you can arrange your private game drive for an amazing safari holiday.
- See ideas for Private villas & houses
- The private villa, Bailey’s Banda, has the same low-key opulence as its neighbor, Beho Beho. Complete with plunge pool and private dining, it’s a luxurious spot for up to five people. Expect the signature luxuries of superb food, thoughtful service and first-class guiding.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at Bailey's Banda.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Beho Beho main lodge only accepts children over the age of 12, however as Bailey's Banda is booked on an exclusive basis there can sometimes be flexibility here; talk to us for details.
- Special activities & services
- There are no special child friendly activities at Bailey's Banda, however the you will be assigned your own guide, and they would be happy to suggest activities that would be suitable for older children, such as boating safaris.
- There is a TV and media room at Bailey's Banda, as well as a private pool that older children can enjoy, although we would advise parental supervision in this area.
- Generally recommended for children
- We think that Baileys Banda is an excellent choice for families with older children who are looking for a high quality, exclusive safari lodge.
- Bailey's Banda is unfenced and animals regularly wander past. It is also worth noting that the rooms at the front of the building are open sided, and we would recommend that children be supervised at all times.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Beho Beho Bailey's Banda
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Beho Beho Bailey's Banda have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- UK style 3-pin plugs are in most rooms.
- Wi-fi and intermittent cellphone signal.
- TV & radio
- Private TV room with satellite TV.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a first-aid kit on site for minor illnesses and injuries. For more serious cases, Beho Beho has links with the flying-doctor service in Dar es Salaam.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Included
- There is no currency exchange at Beho Beho.
- Accepted payment on location
- There are no extras to pay at Beho Beho, but tips are best made in either US dollars or Tanzanian shillings.
Other lodges in Selous Game Reserve
Alternative places to stay in this same area.