Rufiji River fly-camping: Our full report
If you're visiting Rufiji River Camp for more than a few nights, then consider combining a night or two at ...... this satellite fly-camp with a longer stay at the main Rufiji River Camp. When fly-camping here, youll head out with your own guide, perhaps walking or driving, to a simple camp beside one of the lakes.
These fly-camps use good-sized Dome tents, with awnings, a hot safari shower and a toilet, yet they retain a feeling of being very remote. Dinner is cooked on the open fire, and eaten outside or beneath a canvas gazebo.
These fly-camps need to be booked in advance, and have a supplement. They’re usually run on an individual, private basis without any other guests.
Note that these particular fly-camping trips are only possible as a few nights out of a longer safari staying at Rufiji River Camp.
We have not had the chance to stay at the fly-camp at Rufiji River, however we have thoroughly enjoyed fly-camping in other locations in Tanzania, and this looks set to be an adventurous add-on to a safari at Rufiji River Camp.
Country manager: Tanzania
- Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- 1-2 nights
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Selous Game Reserve is a classic area for birdwatching in Tanzania, from the waterbirds found in the lakes and floodplains that surround the Rufiji River, to the dry-country raptors in the hills to the north.
- See ideas for Birdwatching
- Attitude towards children
- Generally recommended for children
- For all intents and purposes you should consider yourself out of contact. However there will be radio contact with the main camp for emergencies.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
Other lodges in Selous Game Reserve
Alternative places to stay in this same area.