Namibia is an amazing country.
Namibia car hireIncluded with all of our Namibia self-drive trips is a Group C/B or similar (manual) car hire. These are the smallest cars that we recommend for Namibia. Unfortunately, we're not able to guarantee specific models of vehicle; we can only request a particular group of vehicle. The choice of car category group is:
- Group A/J Chevrolet Spark/Kia Picanto or similar.
- Group C/B Toyota Corolla/Yaris T3 or similar. With radio/CD, air-con, ABS & power-steering. Comfortable for 2-3 people and included in our prices.
- Group D/D Toyota Yaris/Chevrolet Aveo or similar. With radio/CD, air-con, ABS, p/steering & automatic transmission.
- Group K/S Nissan X-Trail 2WD/Hyundai Tucson or similar. With radio/ CD, air-con, ABS & p/steering.
- Group S/O Toyota Hilux/Nissan single-cab 4WD or similar. With radio/ CD, air-con, ABS & p/steering & automatic transmission.
- Group L/W Toyota Hilux/Nissan double-cab 4WD or similar. With radio/CD, air-con & p/steering.
- Group N/E Hyundai H1/VW Combi or similar. With radio/CD, air-con & p/steering. Seats eight people.
Car-hire InsuranceWe always hire the best vehicles that we can and these include unlimited mileage and local taxes. The car insurance that comes with our trip ideas includes full cover for theft of the car, accident damage (even single-vehicle accidents), tyre damage, windscreen cover and roadside assistance. We believe that we offer the highest level of cover available in the industry today.
Note that it excludes a 'claim administration fee' (typically about £50/U$75) and towing fees (if the problem is not mechanical). It may also exclude water, sand and undercarriage damage - although it is very rare for our travellers to incur such damage.
Note that car drivers aged 18-20, and those aged over 75, must draw our attention to their age in writing before booking, and we may need to discuss the insurance with you. Cover may be restricted or supplements payable.
If you'd like a more precise outline of what your car-hire insurance covers, then please ask as to send you a copy. Note also that 4WD vehicles, and microbuses/people carriers may require different insurance provisions.
Spare tyresPunctures are rare, but they can happen. All of our Namibia hire cars have the tools to cope and a spare wheel. Namibia is a friendly place; people will usually stop to help you. In addition, if you wish, we can arrange an extra spare wheel for you, at a moderate cost and should be requested on your booking form. Please note that extra spare tyres cannot be booked for group B/C vehicles; whilst a group L/W vehicle comes with two spare tyres as standard.
In addition to our advice before you leave the UK, our colleagues in Namibia will be happy to further discuss the route for your journey, with the latest local advice and tips, if you drop into their office when you arrive in Windhoek. Driving in Namibia is a joy, it’s a great way to see the country and meet the people.
It’s good to have currency before you leave Windhoek, as most fuel stations only accept cash; they don’t often accept credit cards. South African Rand and Namibian Dollars are interchangeable in Namibia.