As the name would suggest, the Sunshine Hotel is a bright and sunny hotel in Matemwe.
Sunshine Hotel: Our full report
Opened in June 2010, the sunny Sunshine Hotel is a new addition to the beachside accommodation in Matemwe, on Zanzibar’s east coast. Located on a lovely white stretch of beach, it’s a colourful, bright and vibrant place to stay, popular with young couples and honeymooners.
The Sunshine Hotel offers 15 en-suite rooms in chalets under makuti thatch, all spotlessly clean. The hotel tries to be as eco-friendly as possible, and the rooms have been designed so that sea breeze flows through, making air conditioning unnecessary. That said, each room has three fans – a ceiling fan, a standing fan, and a fan for the bed.
The rooms are divided into three categories –
- The split-level Garden Retreat is the smallest room here, and has no balcony. It has a bedroom on its first floor, and a small living room and bathroom below. In common with all the rooms, it’s been decorated in a bright, simple décor in a lovely warm and sunny yellow, in keeping with the hotel’s name. Each room has double or twin beds draped in a mosquito net, a small seating area and a wardrobe, as well as a safe and a lamp. The en-suite bathroom has a shower and a toilet.
- The 12 Sunshine Suites are located in three bungalows: Clove, Cinnamon and Coconut. These have four rooms in each, two on the ground floor and two on the first floor. All have balconies, those upstairs with sea views, and those downstairs with garden views. Although the stairs to the upper rooms are quite steep, you will be rewarded by a lovely view of the beach.
- The two suites, known as the Honeymoon Suite and the Blue Breeze Suite are located in a separate building right on the beach, with their beds facing the sea.
- The ground-floor Honeymoon suite is billed as the hotel’s “most luxurious room" and has its own garden with a verandah and plunge pool.
- Above this, the Blue Breeze Suite covers a similar area but has a large private terrace instead of a garden, with lovely views of the ocean and beach below. Its very lovely and solid furniture was created by recycling an old pier from Stone Town
The vibrant beachfront bar is a popular hangout, with an eclectic menu of refreshingly fruity cocktails on offer, as well as equally colourful and exotic curries and fresh seafood.
As with most hotels on Zanzibar, activities at the Sunshine Hotel include diving (arranged through a local dive centre), snorkelling and various trips and island excursions, such as spice tours. Guests should note, however, that it is not possible to swim in the sea here at low tide because the sea goes out too far.
Our viewSunshine Hotel is a good-value, welcoming beachside hotel that has a young and lively vibe. Its cheerful name is very appropriate, with bright sunny colours, friendly staff and a pretty beach giving a happy and relaxed atmosphere. It should appeal to those who like their hotel to have a bit of a buzz to it while remaining unpretentious.
Ideal length of stay: We would recommend a stay of at least three nights.
Directions: It takes around 35 minutes to fly to Zanzibar from Dar es Salaam, then it’s a further hour by car to the Sunshine Hotel.
Accessible by: Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
Usual board basis: Half Board
Food quality: Breakfast is served from 7.30am until 10.00am and consists of a choice of bread, fruit, jams and spreads, as well as a hot option, with tea, coffee and juices to drink.
Lunch, served from 12.30pm until 3.00pm, tends to focus on light, fresh meals such as pasta, sandwiches and snacks.
At dinner, served from 6.30pm until 9.00pm, there is a choice of various hot dishes such as fish, seafood, curries and samosas, as well as chef’s specials that change daily. There’s even a Swahili-style banana for you to try.
Dining style: Individual Tables
Dining locations: Indoor and Outdoor Dining
Cost of meal e.g. lunch: £5-10
Drinks included: No drinks are included.
Further dining info: No rooms service is available.
Family holidays: The fairly new, good-value Sunshine Hotel welcomes children of all ages. Due to its unpretentious, vibrant atmosphere, nice pools and friendly staff it’s a good choice for family beach holidays in Zanzibar. Cots and high chairs are provided by the hotel.See more ideas for Family holidays in Zanzibar
Beach holidays: Located on a lovely white beach, typical of Zanzibar’s east coast, Sunshine Hotel is a fairly new, good-value place to stay which is colourful, bright and vibrant. Away from the beach’s attractions, it has immaculate gardens and a relaxed lounge and cocktail bar.See more ideas for Beach holidays in Zanzibar
Attitude towards children: Sunshine Hotel welcomes children of all ages.
Property’s age restrictions: None
Special activities & services: None
Equipment: Cots and high chairs are provided by the hotel.
Generally recommended for children: Although Sunshine Hotel appeals mainly to young couples, in its lively, fun atmosphere families with children can feel welcome, too.
Notes: Children should be under parental supervision at all times.
Power supply: Mains Electricity
Communications: WiFi is available in the restaurant and the hotel will let guests use their phone in an emergency.
TV & radio: There are no TVs or radio here.
Health & safety
Malarial protection recommended: Yes
Medical care: The hotel has affiliations with the local expat doctor.
Dangerous animals: Low Risk
Security measures: Sunshine Hotel is gated with two guards on the front gate. There are also two 24-hour guards on the beach.
Fire safety: Fire extinguishers are available in the main areas. The hotel also has a pump that takes water from the swimming pool that can be used in an emergency.
Disabled access: Not Possible
Laundry facilities: Laundry is available for an extra charge.
Money: The hotel accepts Tanzanian shillings, US dollars, GB pounds and euros, and will offer an exchange service if they have enough cash.
Accepted payment on location: MasterCard and Visa are both accepted here but a 5% commission will be added.