The Cape is renowned for its spectacular scenery.
Car hire in South AfricaThe car categories used in South Africa are similar to those in Namibia. Included with all of our self-drive trips is a Group B/C or similar (manual). Unfortunately we’re not able to guarantee specific models of vehicle; we can only request a particular group of vehicle. The choice of car category group is:
- Group M Hyundai i10 VW Chico or similar. With radio/CD and p/steering. Comfortable for 3-4 people.
- Group B/C Opel Corsa Essentia/Toyota Corolla or similar. With radio/CD, air con and p/steering.
- Group D Honda Jazz or similar. With radio/CD, air con, p/steering and automatic transmission.
- Group K Nissan X-Trail 2WD or similar. With radio/CD, air con, p/steering and manual transmission.
- Group L Toyota Hilux double-cab 4WD or similar. With radio/CD, air con, p/steering.
- Group N Toyota Quantum or similar. With radio/CD, air-con & p/steering. Seats eight people.
Insurance for car hire in South AfricaWe hire the best vehicles that we can and these include unlimited mileage and all local taxes. The car insurance that comes with our trip ideas includes full cover for theft of the vehicle, accident damage (even single-vehicle accidents), tyre damage, windscreen cover and roadside assistance. We believe that we offer the highest level of cover available in the industry today.
Note that it excludes a 'claim administration fee' (typically about £50/U$75) and towing fees (if the problem is not mechanical). It may also exclude water, sand and undercarriage damage - although it is very rare for our travellers to incur such damage.
Note that car drivers aged 18-20, and those aged over 75, must draw our attention to their age in writing before booking, and we may need to discuss the insurance with you. Cover may be restricted or supplements payable.
If you'd like a more precise outline of what your car-hire insurance covers, then please ask as to send you a copy. Note also that 4WD vehicles, and microbuses/people carriers may require different insurance provisions.
Driving in South Africa is easy, it's a great way to see the country and meet the people.
One-Way car rentals in South Africa (and to Namibia)It is very easy for us to arrange one-way car hire within South Africa, and also between South Africa and Namibia. So you can easily start a fly-drive trip in Port Elizabeth, and end in Cape Town or even Windhoek. (There are usually one-way drop off fees).
It's good to have currency before you leave Cape Town, as fuel stations often only accept cash in South African Rand; some won’t accept take credit cards.