Expert Africa leads the field of specialist southern African operators.
Africa safarisThinking of taking your first safari holiday to Africa? If so, this is a great place to start your research.
You’re probably brimming with questions – Where to go? How much? What to do? … and more. At Expert Africa, we’ve been working to guide travellers to the places and safaris that will really suit them for over 20 years. So read on below, and then call us.
As a first stage, don’t try to dive straight into our website. With over 950 places to stay, split between over 120 areas in 12 African countries – it’s just too detailed for that!
Instead best first think about yourself, and what you (and your companions, if travelling with others) would like out of your safari holiday.
Your style of travel in AfricaRemember holidays that you’ve liked before, outside Africa, and how you’ve travelled. Do you like to travel independently, perhaps meeting others along the way – but not being tied to a fixed group of people.
- If so, then Expert Africa is very much your style of travel.
- If not, and you would prefer to travel in a group with others, then we’ll probably talk to you about the small-group trips of our sister-company, Wild about Africa.
Most of Expert Africa’s trips focus on independent travel, where smooth arrangements are made for you to travel, assisted by our team on in Africa. When you’re in safari areas, they usually include all your game activities – game drives, walking safaris, boat trips, etc..
Best for…. How you want to travelNow think about what matters to you – how do you want to travel? Here you’re starting to look for inspiration: for ideas about places that might suit you well.
- Honeymooners will find some ideas for Africa’s most romantic safari camps;
- Families, especially those with younger children, will want to focus on family-friendly camps and lodges;
- Whilst both groups of friends and families, may find inspiration in the idea of taking over a private villa, safari camp or large house; this can be a really amazing experience.
- Some solo travellers will want trips on their own, incorporating camps and lodges that are single-friendly; others may well want to look at our ideas for small group trips focused on singles.
Best for…. What experience you wantContinuing that theme, think about activities and experiences that you might like to build in to your trip.
- Most of our travelers love wildlife. There our choices are so wide that we’ve highlighted just a few specialist thoughts on very specific wildlife safari ideas.
- Some areas are great for hiking – and we’ve drawn attention to these on our walking pages.
- Meanwhile, if you’d like to get up close and personal, then leave the vehicles behind and strike out on foot. See our view on Africa’s best walking safaris.
- Keen birdwatchers might find inspiration on our birdwatching pages.
What now?Having mused on these ideas – talk to us. Even if you’re not yet as far as planning, bounce your ideas off us. We listen to your ideas, and help you to focus on questions which are important at this stage – and which will ultimately guide you towards the kind of trips which is likely to be best for you.
After an initial chat, we’ll often suggest that you do some more research – perhaps read up on some of the places that we’ve discussed. We’ll then leave you to this, without bothering you, until you’re ready to start planning your holiday with us.
“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same. But how do you begin to describe its magic to someone who has never felt it? How can you explain the fascination of this vast, dusty continent, whose oldest roads are elephant paths? Could it be because Africa is the place of all our beginnings, the cradle of mankind, where our species first stood upright on the savannahs of long ago?”
– Brian Jackman