Dune Beach House: Our full report
Dune Beach House (formerly known as Dune Guest Lodge) is a small comfortable guesthouse, which overlooks ...... one of South Africa’s best beaches at Wilderness, on the Garden Route. Overlooking the Indian Ocean, it has uninterrupted views, and direct access via a private boardwalk, straight onto the beach where one can walk for miles.
The lodge sits on top of a ridge of dunes, in the residential part of Wilderness. From the road Dune Beach House is hidden behind a high wall. On entering the gate one is lead via a pretty courtyard garden into a spacious open-plan lounge with red terracotta floor tiles, topped by occasional rugs. Comfortable sofas and chairs with a cream, brown and terracotta colour scheme are arranged into separate seating areas, one of these being a shared TV area and another in front of a fireplace. There is interesting and original artwork on the walls, which can also be found dotted around the house. A wide passageway leads from the lounge to glass doors at the end with tantalizing views of the sea.
Stone stairs lead from the lounge to a spacious and light dining room, also with terracotta floors and large windows leading onto a balcony overlooking the ocean. Individual wooden tables and chairs are placed around the room and also out on the balcony. Here you will also find bright artwork on the walls. Breakfast is included at Dune Beach House and there are a handful of good restaurants a short drive away for lunch and dinner.
Dune Beach House has eight spacious, bedrooms each with its own colour scheme. Five of these are located downstairs and three are upstairs. Each room has been tastefully furnished and decorated, and all have the following: TV, mini-bar, coffee and tea facilities as well as a Nespresso coffee machine, hair dryer, under-floor heating, dressing gowns, luggage racks and a small safe. All the rooms are en-suite with separate baths and showers and some with double basins. Complimentary toiletries are provided. Most of the king sized beds can be converted into two three-quarter beds on request.
Each room has a sea related name and are described as follows:
- The Sea Star Room is the smallest room in the house. It is a garden-facing room designed for children and is located on the first floor, next door to the Sea Breeze Room. Here there are two three-quarter beds decorated in white and pale blues, and a bathroom with a shower is situated next door to the bedroom. Although the Sea Star and Sea Breeze rooms can be let separately, a communal door can be closed to make these two rooms into an interleading family unit.
- The Sea Breeze Room is on the first floor, next to the Sea Star Room, and is decorated in soft sandy colours with light wood furniture and bright pink cushions on the beds. A large window with sliding doors leads onto a balcony and has a wonderful view of the beach and the sea. It has a king-size bed and colourful pictures and accessories add to the warm and cozy feel of the room.
- The Sea Sand Room is also on the first floor and is decorated with similar shades of the beach with splashes of turquoise. It has the same facilities, but it also has a sleeper couch if children are sharing with their parents. Although it also has stunning sea views this room does not have an outside balcony.
- The White Room is located on the ground floor and is decorated in shades of white, grey and pale blue. It has two double beds and glass sliding doors leading out to a private sea-facing sundeck, with wooden sunloungers and chairs, with comfy cushions, and has direct access onto the beach.
- The Ocean Room is also sea facing with a white and dark blue theme. This room has a king size bed and also has a private deck, with wooden sunloungers and chairs, with comfy cushions and has direct access onto the beach.
- The Shell Room is another sea facing room decorated in whites, red and earthy tones. It also has a king size bed as well as an outside deck, with wooden sunloungers and chairs, with comfy cushions, and has direct access onto the beach
- The Beach Room is also sea facing and has a white and turquoise theme. It has a king size as well as an outside deck with direct access onto the beach.
- The Africa Room is a spacious garden facing room and has two double beds, and wooden furniture including woven cane chairs. The room is bright, with windows and sliding doors on two sides, and is decorated in soft sandy tones. This room is wheelchair-friendly and has two private areas – one in a pretty sunny courtyard garden as well as a private sea facing deck.
There’s plenty to do in the Wilderness area, with activities ranging from whale- and dolphin-watching (from July to November) to horse riding and even hang-gliding and para-gliding. For nature lovers, the area offers an extensive network of hiking trails and scenic drives. Visit the nearby Ebb and Flow Rest Camp where its possible to go kayaking on the Touws River or follow one of their hiking trails. Otherwise just relax at the lodge and enjoy long walks along this beautiful endless beach.
The Dune Beach House is a very comfortable, relaxed place to stay. Modern, stylish and quite arty – it’s a quiet place to relax and unwind with stunning sea views and yet just a few minutes drive to nearby Wilderness. The larger Garden Route town of Knysna is 30 minutes drive away and Plettenberg Bay is 50 minutes away – making this a lovely beach base on the Garden Route.
South Africa expert
- Wilderness | Garden Route National Park, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- 3 to 5 nights would be ideal to use Dune Beach House as a base to explore the Garden Route.
- Travel along the N2 in the direction of Knysna (coming from Cape Town). After the Wilderness turn off, cross the Touw River. After 700m turn right at a sign “Die Duin". At the top of Die Duin turn right, and The Dune Beach House is the first house on the left – no 31.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- On our visit to Dune Beach House in May 2014 we did not stay long enough to experience breakfast, however the manager explained what guests might expect here. Breakfast is enjoyed in the large first floor dining room or outside on the balcony overlooking the beach. A buffet of cold meats and cheeses, a fruit platter, fruit juice, fresh bread and a selection of cereals are available, as well as pancakes and flapjacks. There is also a cooked breakfast cooked to guest’s requirements.
Lunch and dinner are not provided here, however there is a small selection of restaurants in nearby Wilderness.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included. Approximate costs, in South African Rands, are R12 for a coke, R14 for local beer and a selection of wines from R90 – R150. (rate of exchange at time of writing was R17 to the pound)
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all age are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There is no age restriction
- Special activities & services
- There is not a child minder on site but Dune Beach House can arange one on request locally, however parents must be aware that they have not be trained to EU standards.
- A high chair and cot are both available.
- Generally recommended for children
- Dune Beach House is a relaxed place for families with children.
- Parents must note that there is direct access to the beach and the sea. The pool is unfenced so they are responsible for keeping an eye on their children at all times.
- Five of the eight rooms have direct dial phones. The guest house also has complimentary wifi and there is good mobile reception.
- TV & radio
- All rooms have TV with local channels.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a doctor in Wilderness and the nearest hospital is in George, 20 minutes drive away.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The lodge has a security gate, and all ground floor rooms have burglar bars on the windows.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in the kitchen and in the upstairs dining room.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available – at extra cost.
- Each room has a safe with a key.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Diners cards are accepted as well as cash in SA rands.
Other lodges in Wilderness | Garden Route National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.