The Falls Guest House: Our full report
The Falls Guest House is set in South Africa's Northern Cape, surrounded by extensive landscapes and green vineyards.It offers quiet and peaceful accommodation, just minutes away from Augrabies Falls National Park, and is therefore an ideal place to stay whilst visiting the waterfalls. In addition, The Falls makes a perfect overnight stop for those travelling to Namaqualand or Namibia's Fish River Canyon.
The Falls Guest House consists of four modern, self-catering units. Each unit has one spacious bedroom, an en-suite bathroom, a fully equipped kitchenette, as well as a private veranda, overlooking the lodge's landscaped gardens. There are two deluxe units with king-size beds, one standard unit with twin beds, and one family unit with a double bed and a double sleeper couch to accommodate two children.
The rooms are tastefully and contemporary furnished, and decorated in light colours, with crisp white duvets covering the beds. Each room has a heater, air-conditioning, satellite television and a safe for personal belongings. For a spa-like experience, the en-suite bathrooms are equipped with fluffy towels, multifunctional showerheads and under floor heating.
Central facilities at The Falls Guest House include a sparkling swimming pool, set in the lodge's neatly landscaped gardens. Next to the pool, there's a comfortable lapa area overlooking lush vineyards, where farm style breakfasts are served in the mornings. The guesthouse also has barbecue facilities, doubling as cosy fireplaces on cold winter nights, and a secure parking area.
Without a doubt, Augrabies Falls National Park, with its ancient granite rocks and awe-inspiring waterfalls, is the main attraction of the area. There are lots of things to do here, including bird-watching, hiking, mountain biking or white-water rafting. Whilst staying at The Falls Guest House, you should also take the chance to visit one of the area's many wine cellars to taste some delicious wines. (NB: It’s essential that you read the Quadbike warning in the ‘Health & Safety’ section below for our comments on insurance issues regarding this activity.)
Family owned and operated by Piet and Adele du Plessis, The Falls Guest House sounds like a relaxing, peaceful and friendly accommodation option – with a good amount of luxury.
Country manager: South Africa
- Augrabies Falls National Park, South Africa
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- The Falls has only self-catering units, although a farm style breakfast is served every morning at the lodge's thatched lapa area. Dinner is available on request, and there are braai facilities available on the lodge's grounds.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at The Falls Guest House.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions at The Falls.
- Special activities & services
- The lodge has a big playground for children, and a fenced swimming pool. Babysitting can be arranged on request.
- Cots and highchairs are available in some of the rooms.
- Every room has a telephone, as well as wireless internet access for emailing. Fax facilities are also available.
- TV & radio
- There is digital satellite television in every room.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- Accepted payment on location
- The guest house accepts all major credit cards.
Other lodges in Augrabies Falls National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.