InterContinental O.R. Tambo: Our full report
The InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport is situated directly opposite the international arrivals hall at Johannesburg's O.R. Tambo International Airport, and about 12 miles from the city centre. It's a good quality accommodation, and an ideal base for an overnight stop in Johannesburg.
None of the Expert Africa team has yet visited this hotel personally, but here is what we know about it…
The InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport has 138 rooms, including 26 executive rooms and two presidential suites. They are all tastefully decorated with African textures in warm, natural colours, and comfortably furnished with king-size beds. Each room has an en-suite bathroom with a spacious shower, tea/coffee making facilities, satellite TV and wireless internet access. Soundproof windows guarantee a quiet sleep, despite the hotel's proximity to the airport.
Central facilities at the InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport include a fully equipped gymnasium on the hotel's top floor, a spa offering massages and beauty treatments, and a heated indoor pool. There's also an unstaffed business centre with five meeting rooms, and all kinds of technical equipment such as PCs, printers and copying facilities.
Dining is in The Quills Restaurant on the hotel's ground floor, serving local specialities and authentic South African cuisine, like springbok, warthog and crocodile, along with a collection of excellent local wines. The Quills also prepares breakfasts and lunches.
The InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport sounds like a perfect accommodation for an overnight stay in Johannesburg, whilst waiting for a connecting flight.
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- The Hotel is only about 70 m from Johannesburg's O.R. Tambo International Airport, directly opposite the international arrivals hall.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- The Quills Restaurant serves authentic South African cuisine and specializes in local wines and foods, such as springbok, warthog, kudu and crocodile. It is open 24 hours, and prepares breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at the InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport.
- Special activities & services
- Babysitting is available on request.
- Cots are available, and there are connecting standard rooms to use as family units.
- Every room has a cordless, direct dial phone with voicemail, as well as a fax.
- TV & radio
- There's satellite TV in every room, as well as a DVD player. The two presidential suites also have CD players and stereo sound systems.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
Quadbike warning: quad-biking is sometimes available as an activity in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it’s vital that you take responsibility for ensuring that you have adequate travel insurance prior to getting involved. Be aware that some insurances cover quad-bike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings: check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There's a safe for personal belonging in every room.
- Fire safety
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- The InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport has a foreign currency exchange bureau.
Other lodges in Johannesburg
Alternative places to stay in this same area.