Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel: Our full report
Set in the quaint fishing village of Paternoster, the privately owned Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel is ...... 145km north of Cape Town. It has beautiful views over the vegetated dunes to the sea, and is only steps away from a seemingly endless sandy beach. There is a nature reserve right on the doorstep and the West Coast National Park is about 60km away.
During our stay in 2014 (and a recent fleeting visit) we found Strandloper to be well appointed and with friendly staff. The 14 luxurious rooms and suites are tastefully minimalist and contemporary in design and furnished with locally made furniture. All have a light and airy feel, their white and earthy tones blending perfectly with their surroundings. The en-suite bathrooms feature indoor and outdoor showers and stone baths. Organic linen, fluffy white towels and handmade bath products show a thoughtful attention to detail.
Every room includes a satellite TV, DVD player and audio system, internal phones, WiFi, air-conditioning, a digital safe, Nespresso coffee machine and tea-making facilities.
The rooms at Strandloper are divided into three categories and all come with their own terrace or courtyard.
- The Courtyard Rooms are the smallest (30m2) of the three categories, but each has either a private courtyard or small terrace with a water feature and seating area.
- The Ocean Suites have a seafront setting offering lovely views of the ocean and direct access to the beach. The suites are similar in style to the Courtyard Rooms but, at 40m2, are a little bigger. High ceilings make the rooms feel spacious and light. They also have a lounge area with large windows opening onto a private terrace overlooking Paternoster Bay, which includes a seating area with sunloungers – a perfect place to have breakfast or enjoy a drink and admire the superb ocean views.
- The Nature King Suites are set on the banks of a dry riverbed, with stunning views of the inland West Coast landscape. At 80m2, they are the most spacious rooms at Strandloper. Their high whitewashed beamed ceilings offer a mezzanine loft space, with a desk that functions as a work area. The open plan bathroom has a free-standing stone bath, light furniture, ‘rain’ showerhead and white towels. These suites also have a lounge with a comfortable seating area and a fireplace – ideal for cooler winter evenings – and glass doors leading onto a private terrace.
The main building at Strandloper incorporates the Leeto Restaurant, where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served to a backdrop of beautiful ocean views. There is also a small shop, Ocean Boutique, in the reception area, selling authentic curios and gifts.
For a relaxing treat, head to the Element Wellness Suite – a spa offering various treatments including deep tissue aromatherapy body massages and revitalising facials.
The 20m pool has as a sundeck with elegant loungers and is a great place to relax and cool off on a sunny day.
Most people who visit Strandloper spend their time exploring independently, going on beach walks, birdwatching or just relaxing and taking in the beautiful environment. Other activities close by or a little further afield include kayaking, mountain biking, visiting a fossil park, viewing the stunning display of Namaqua flowers (in August / September, depending on when the rains come), horseriding and fishing.
With its first-class location and high levels of comfort, Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel is a lovely place for a tranquil holiday or secluded beach retreat. The nearby nature reserve and proximity to the West Coast National Park makes it a super choice for those who like the great outdoors; it’s the perfect spot both for birdwatching and walking, and also for seeing the spectacular Namaqua flowers which bloom late August / early September.
Country manager: South Africa
- Namaqualand, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- Three nights will give you time to explore.
- Situated in Paternoster, Strandloper is 145km north of Cape Town, a drive taking about 90 minutes.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Although we have not eaten dinner Strandloper, we understand that the menu features locally sourced, seasonal ingredients.
Breakfast can be taken on your own terrace or in the restaurant. You can choose between a continental buffet breakfast and a selection of hot dishes.
Lunch and dinner are served in the Leeto Restaurant, which is open daily until 9.00pm, and has a regularly changing menu, including fresh seafood. Be aware that the restaurant is also popular with locals and visitors, so even if you are staying here you will need to make a reservation in advance.
- Attitude towards children
- Younger children are not accommodated at Strandloper.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel welcomes children aged 14 and over.
- There is cellphone reception throughout the hotel, and free WiFi.
- TV & radio
- Satellite TV and a DVD player is provided in each room.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Medical care
- There are doctors in Vredenburg 20km away and excellent hospitals in Cape Town.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is a security guard on duty 24 hours a day.
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
Other lodges in Namaqualand
Alternative places to stay in this same area.