Anantara Bazaruto: Our full report
The newly named Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort & Spa, was until recently know as Indigo Bay Island Resort ...... and part of the Rani chain of resorts and hotels. (Before that it was simply called Indigo Bay, and before that Sabal Lodge stood here!) It first opened on this idyllic beach in 2011, but has now been taken over by the Anatara chain. It's a substantial place – indicated by the fact that golf carts are used to move guests and luggage between the rooms, and it has plenty of facilities for the more active of sun-worshippers.
There are a number of different bars and restaurants at Anantara Bazaruto – so guests have a real variety of options for eating and drinking. The first is just as you pass through reception and looks almost English in style, with polished wooden floors, wooden chairs, Persian rugs on the floor and white-washed walls. This bar and restaurant serves drinks and light snacks throughout most of the day and you can order lunch here if you want.
Head further on down the stairs, towards the beach and first swimming pool, and you find another bar. This specialises in cocktails and is where guests tend to gather before dinner which is served in the open-air buffet restaurant just nearby. This restaurant is on a stone terrace that has an uninterrupted view across the beach and sea. Depending on the height of the tide sometimes the team here will set a few tables on the sand as well.
A short walk north, up the beach and you will find a second swimming pool, which has been designed to look like natural spring water cascading out of a cliff. By this pool is another bar and restaurant that serves drinks and snacks throughout the day. Lunch is normally served here.
Anantara Bazaruto has many facilities for the more active guest. There is a well-equipped gym which has running machines, a cross trainer, bicycle and weight machines. There is also a fantastic water-sports centre where you can arrange activities such as snorkelling, diving, waterskiing, wake-boarding, kayaking, deep-sea or fly-fishing and stand-up paddle boarding.
Land based activities include island drives, tennis and even a 'qolf course' - this is a mix between croquet and golf. A more relaxing option is to head to the extensive spa, located high on a hill above the resort. There are a number of treatment rooms, jacuzzi and steam rooms and a wide variety of massages, waxes, manicures and pedicures are available.
Non-motorised watersports are included, as are all the land-based activities apart from the island-drive and spa treatments which are an additional cost.
Anantara Bazaruto also has a well-equipped kids club, with toys, a TV and a Playstation. This makes it the most family friendly place in the Bazaruto which can make it quite hectic around the pool area during school holidays!
There is also the stunning beach of course. However it is important to note that immediately in front of the lodge is a band of rock in the sand that is about three metres wide. At high tide it is possible to swim right over this, however when the tide is lower you will need reef shoes to walk over it and reach the sea.
There are a number of different room types at Anantara Bazaruto. All are similar in design and style, though they vary in size.
The simplest rooms are the 29 Beach Villas - you enter these rooms through the back where there is a small vestibule for hanging your clothes. There is also a tea and coffee making station here, as well as a digital safe.
To one side is the large modern bathroom with cream tiled floors, a sink set into a black and grey marble surface, a large bath by a big window looking out towards the sea, and an indoor and outdoor shower. Toiletries are provided for you, as are luxurious bathrobes and slippers.
The bedroom and lounge is a large open plan area. The large kingsized bed sits beneath mosquito netting and looks across to the lounge where there is a comfortable cream sofa and coffee table. There is also a TV and a writing desk and every room has air-conditioning. The rooms are decorated in cool creams and blues – with pale wood furniture. The result is modern and good quality, bright and spacious. For those who are looking for a resort-style hotel room it would be perfect.
Then there is one Honeymoon Beach Villa, which identical to the other Beach Chalets but with the addition of a plunge pool.
The 12 Luxury Bay View Villas are designed to be much more private. Each has two bedrooms an indoor and outdoor dining area, a private sala and splash-pool, lounge and kitchen. Guests can eat here and may never need to use the communal areas if they don't want to. All are extremely modern and spacious and are set slightly higher up the hill so have great views.
For those really wanting to splash out there is also the Executive Suite with king-size bedroom, en-suite bathroom, vast lounge, private veranda and private plunge pool. Then the Presidential Villa which is vast and includes a swimming pool. It two rooms, one with a kigsized bed and the other is a twin room, each is ensuite.
Anantara Island Resort is a very friendly place, with bags of facilities, good food and a very laid back atmosphere. For active people and families this is a very good option.
Country manager: Mozambique
- Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
- Ideal length of stay
- There are a lot of activities on offer at Anantara Bazaruto and so it would be easy to spend at least five nights here.
- It is a two hour flight from Johannesburg to the town of Vilanculos on Mozambique's mainland, with Federal Air. On arrival you will be met and transferred to a light flight which will take you over to Bazaruto Island and Anantara Bazaruto. After landing it is a short road transfer of only a few minutes to the lodge.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- When we stayed at what was then Indigo Bay, we were impressed with the food. When it is busy each meal is served as a buffet, as it was when we where there but it was all very fresh and tasty. When the resort is quieter they offer an á la carte menu.
For breakfast there was a vast spread of pastries, fresh bread, fruit and cooked breakfast items. There was also a cooking station where you could order freshly cooked eggs made to your liking. Juice, tea and coffee were also on offer.
We didn't have lunch when we stayed here, but were told that the buffet is much like the one served at dinner - and this we did get to try. Starters on offer included feta cheese salad, salmon tartar, orange and calamari salad, sardines wrapped in bacon and spring rolls. Main courses included tuna, calamari or steak with roasted vegetables, baked potatoes and pasta, chicken curry and rice. We then had a delicious fruit pavlova for desert followed by freshly made coffee.
- Family holidays
- On an idyllic beach, Anantara Bazaruto offers child-friendly activities and equipment including cots, high chairs and a play room with toys, a TV and a Playstation. Expect good food and a laid-back atmosphere here on your Mozambique family holidays with children of all ages.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Diving & snorkelling
- The reefs around Bazaruto Island are in excellent condition - and this resort has its own dive centre
- See ideas for Diving & snorkelling
- The modern villas at Anantaro Bazaruto are bright and spacious, and some even have their own private splash-pool. Numerous activities, the pampering spa and two lovely swimming pools add variety to a relaxing day on the sandy beach - perfect for a luxurious getaway!
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- The lodge will gladly welcome children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Anantara Bazaruto cannot offer child-minding but they do have a kids play area with numerous toys, TV and a Sony Playstation. Parents can leave their children to play here when it is open during the day.
- Anantara Bazaruto has cots and high chairs.
- Generally recommended for children
- Yes, it is good for children. Though parents should note that Mozambique is a malarial area.
- There is a business centre with a computer that is connected to the internet. The bar area also has free WiFi. There is no cell phone reception here.
- TV & radio
- There is a TV in all of the rooms.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- Anantara Bazaruto has a nurse on site which is available 24 hours a day, and there is also a dispensary located here. For more serious cases they have links to medevac.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There are 24 security guards on duty at any one time.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers by every room – these are serviced regularly and staff are trained how to use them.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is included, and is machine-washed and line dried.
- Anantara Bazaruto can exchange euros, US dollars, South African rand and Metical. They cannot exchange British pounds.
- Accepted payment on location
- Bills can be settled in cash using euros, US dollars, South African rand and Metical but not British pounds. MasterCard and Visa are also accepted and there is no surcharge. Amex and traveller's cheques are not accepted at Anantara Bazaruto.
Other lodges in Bazaruto Archipelago
Alternative places to stay in this same area.