Erongo Wilderness: Information from the owner
- No. of rooms
About this information
All the information on this page is supplied to us directly from the lodge owner and reflects their view, not ours.
For Expert Africa's view, see our own full report on Erongo Wilderness, which contains our own observations and views.
- Last updated by Owner
- 18 Feb 2020
Facilities at Erongo Wilderness
- Property facilities
- 24-hour Security, Bar, Battery Charging Facilities, Eco Friendly, Internet Access (Complimentary), Laundry Service (Available), Library, Malaria Free, Mobile Connectivity, Pool, Restaurant, Secure Parking
- Room facilities
- Balcony / Deck, Complimentary Wi-Fi, Dressing Gowns, Electrical Outlets, En-Suite, Fan, Mini Bar, Mosquito Nets, Pure Cotton Linen, Safe, Shower, Tea / Coffee, Verandah
- Activities on site
- Bird Watching, Cycling, Game Drives, Game Viewing, High Tea, Walks (Guided), Walks (Self Guided)
- Nearby activities
- Cultural Tours, General Sightseeing, Golf, Historical Tours, Rock Climbing, Wine Tasting
Room types at Erongo Wilderness
Private, luxuriously appointed 2-tented unit suitable for two couples travelling together or families with older children. The two spacious tents share their own private dining / lounge and relaxation area with an outside ‘boma’ fire pit. Spectacular views and tranquillity await. Each tent has 2 x 3/4 beds that can be converted into 1 x super king size bed.
Double luxury tent
Luxuriously appointed, elevated ‘meru style’ tent with, en suite bathroom. The Tent opens up onto a large shaded deck with spectacular views. Double tent is fitted with 1 x queen size bed.
Family luxury tent
Luxuriously appointed, elevated ‘meru style’ tent with, en suite bathroom. The Tent opens up onto a large shaded deck with spectacular views. Family Tent, including 2 x 3/4 size beds that can be converted into 1 x super king size bed and 2 x 3/4 beds in a separate but adjoining tent.
Twin / Double luxury tent
Luxuriously appointed, elevated ‘meru style’ tent with, en suite bathroom. The Tent opens up onto a large shaded deck with spectacular views. Double / Twin Tent is fitted with 2 x 3/4 beds that can be converted into 1 x super king size bed. Triple room option for 1 child sharing with 2 full paying adults available.
Activities at Erongo Wilderness
Erongo Wilderness Lodge has an abundance of bird life. From the raptors to the tiniest of sunbirds, the viewing of birds in the area is superb.
The nest of the resident breeding pair of Black (Verreaux) Eagles can be seen on cliff faces, with sightings of this magnificent bird occurring frequently. The lodge dining room and bar overlook a small valley where a fantastic variety of species can be sighted drinking from one of the three water points. These include both Namibian and South African endemics such as: Hartlaub's Francolin, Redbilled Francolin, Ruppell's Parrot, Rosyfaced Lovebird, Monteiro's Hornbill, Carp's Black Tit, Damara Rockrunner, Pririt Batis, Whitetailed Shrike, Violet-eared Waxbill, and the Redheaded Finch.
The abundance of water around the lodge in what is an otherwise dry area, also make it a haven
for Plumcoloured Starlings, Melba Finches, Rock Kestrels, Masked Weavers, Rock Buntings, Whitebellied Sunbirds and a whole host of others.
Nature Drive / Paula’s Cave
Erongo Wilderness Lodge forms part of the 200 000 hectare Erongo Mountain Nature Conservancy. This pristine wilderness area straddles the Erongo Mountains: a natural reserve within a vast volcanic crater complex, which boasts unparalleled biodiversity. After about an hour and a half’s drive through the scenically beautiful lodge property you will end up at the foot of the hill where the site of Paula’s Cave can be found. An easy walk up the hill will take you to the National Monument site of some outstanding bushman rock art.
After exploring the rock art, relax with a cold ‘sundowner’ drink and enjoy the closing of the day. A slow drive searching for nocturnal animals with the help of a spotlight will bring you back to the lodge in time for dinner. A must-see for anyone visiting the area. This drive can be done both in the morning or the afternoon.
Walking the area surrounding the Lodge is highly encouraged and is the best way to experience the beauty of the Erongo Mountains. Our guides have been very well trained on the interesting Fauna and Flora of the area and are available to escort guests through the property at any time that suits them. An unlimited number of guided walks are included in the rate. We have put together a number of interesting walks to suit people of all different fitness levels.
• Sundowner walk: Very close to the lodge, you will be guided up a granite hill where you can enjoy a cold sundowner drink while watching the sun set over spectacular views of the Erongo and Brandberg Mountains.
• Early morning walk: This is for those who want to get the most out of the beauty of the Erongo Mountains during the stunning early morning light. This walk is 3 – 4 hours in duration and can be of various degrees of difficulty depending on your preference. We meet at 06h00 in the restaurant for tea, coffee & rusks. Your guide will take extra water, juice and snacks along for en-route.
• Morning Walk: This is for those who want to have a more relaxed walk, but still experience the beauty of the Erongo Mountains. This walk is 1 – 2 hours in duration and can be of various degrees of difficulty, depending on your preference. We meet at 07h00 in the restaurant for tea, coffee, fresh juice, rusks, muffins and a selection of fruit.
Self - Guided Walking Trails
A number of walking trails have been marked out through the spectacular areas around the lodge. Again, these are of varying degrees of difficulty – some being more suited to the adventurous explorer, and some more suited to those wanting to opt for a gentle stroll.
Other lodges in Central Highlands
Alternative places to stay in this same area.