Storms River Restcamp: Our full report
The Tsitsikamma Coastal National Park is best known for its walking trails through the forests and dramatic ...... coastal scenery which is part of Africa's oldest and largest marine reserve.
Below the forests, on a rocky promontory, the simple Storms River Restcamp defies the crashing waves below. This is an amazing location, and its inexpensive chalets and bungalows make the perfect base for taking yourself on a series of stunning walks around this coastal national park.
Storms River Rest Camp is large, but not overwhelming, with the accommodation very varied, from basic camping, right through to the more luxurious honeymoon cottages. All the accommodation is serviced daily and there is full linen, with bedding and towels, provided.
The Forest Huts offer a communal experience, with shared facilities such as the kitchen, making it a fun, social experience. However, the majority of the accommodation doesn't have self-catering facilities, with a choice from twin-bed Dolphin Cabins, through to the four-bed Oceanettes. Some of the chalets have impressive sea views.
Storms River Rest Camp has many facilities that some of the regions other rest camps do not. It has a restaurant which varies from a la carte to light snacks and refreshments. There is also a laundry room and a shop where souvenirs and basic commodities can be purchased.
Tsitsikamma Coastal National Park is organised for adventurous people, to hike and explore by themselves. A wander through the forests will reveal waterfalls, ravines and beautiful flora – whilst many of the walks follow spectacular sections of the coastal footpath. The site also has scuba refill facilities available for the more adventurous of you who are looking to explore beneath the waves of this spectacular coastline.
Viewing marine fauna is one of Storm River's main attractions; from the camp you can look out over the Cape's impressive coastline with dolphins and whales regular visitors to the waters.
- Tsitsikamma | Garden Route National Park, South Africa
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Room Only
- Family holidays
- Accommodation at the good-value Storms River Restcamp ranges from campsites to cottages - most of them not for self-catering as there’s a restaurant. During your South Africa family holidays here, explore the forest trails and dramatic rugged coastline of Tsitsikamma Park.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- There are some great self-guided walking options at Storms River. Explore the dramatic coastal scenery, wander through forests on the lookout for tinkering waterfalls and a great variety of flora.
- See ideas for Walking
- Attitude towards children
- Children are very welcome
- Generally recommended for children
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- There are laundry facilities, but flat irons are not supplied
Other lodges in Tsitsikamma | Garden Route National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.