Airport Planet Lodge: Our full report
Airport Planet Lodge is a new property located between Moshi and Arusha, about a 15-minute drive from Kilimanjaro ...... Airport (JRO) in Tanzania. With 12 rooms, it offers comfortable accommodation, pretty gardens and a large swimming pool. On a clear day Planet Lodge has views of Kilimanjaro, making it one of the few hotels near Arusha to do so.
Opened in 2017, Planet Lodge is a smart new hotel close to Kilimanjaro International Airport. The lodge is relatively low cost and, as one of only a few accommodation options close to the airport, it’s a good choice for an early arrival or a late departure. We recommend Planet Lodge as a possible alternative to Kia Lodge.
Currently Planet Lodge has 31 rooms split into Standard andDeluxe rooms. Six of the Standard rooms are located in the main building, whilst the others are within cottages in the garden, with two rooms per cottage. The Deluxe rooms are individual cottages. Although we felt that the rooms were simply decorated, they were brightened up with colourful wildlife paintings and African fabrics.
All rooms are en suite and come with all the amenities you would expect of an international hotel; these include air conditioning, a flat-screen TV, tea and coffee facilities and a retractable mosquito net. Outside each room is a small shaded veranda overlooking the garden with a couple of wooden chairs and a table. The en suites are clean and functional and have a good-sized walk-in shower with complimentary toiletries. The Standard rooms can be arranged as a double, a twin or a triple, and two of the rooms have an interconnecting door that makes them suitable for families.
The Deluxe rooms are a little larger and, in addition to the standard facilities, they also have a small sofa and a corner bathtub in the en-suite bathroom.
The restaurant is at the back of the lodge overlooking the gardens and you can choose to dine either inside or outside on the terrace, underneath a woven bamboo roof. The main lodge building also houses a small bar with a selection of cool drinks on offer and further indoor and outdoor seating.
Outside is a large swimming pool surrounded by lime green loungers; an accent colour that runs throughout the entire lodge. You can find a second bar here, with staff on hand to serve refreshments. The lush tropical gardens attract the local birdlife, and current residents include a flock of guinea fowl. The gardens are currently fairly large, however we were very conscious that once the new rooms have been built the amount of green space will diminish.
Additional amenities at Planet Lodge Kilimanjaro include a small massage room that offers a selection of spa treatments, and a work station with a desktop computer. Whilst we were there we were told that the lodge intends to build a small gym but it was unclear when this was due to be completed.
One feature about Planet Lodge that we particularly like is the shower service. It is possible to come to the lodge after a safari and pay a small fee simply to use the showers and enjoy a drink and a meal without the need to book a dayroom; this makes it a great option if you are on a late departure out of Kilimanjaro.
For a short stay before or after your international flight, Planet Lodge is a great choice. It is not particularly luxurious but its comparatively low price-tag makes it good value for money, and we really like the option to come here for a quick shower and meal without the need to stay a night.
- Arusha, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- Stay one night before or after your international flight.
- Airport Planet Lodge is around a 15-minute drive from Kilimanjaro International Airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- We did not have a chance to eat here on our most recent visit, however we understand that Planet Lodge offer a varied breakfast buffet and then a two-course set menu for lunch and dinner. The menu typically features international dishes and uses fresh local produce.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Room service is available on request and you can order a range of meals including burgers, curries, pasta dishes and salads.
- Drinks included
- Drinks cost extra and you can expect to pay around $2 for a soft drink, $3 for a beer and around $6 for a glass of wine. Complimentary drinking water is provided in the rooms.
- Attitude towards children
- Planet Lodge accepts children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- There are no special activities available for children.
- Cots and highchairs can be provided and there is a shallow section of pool, which younger children can enjoy.
- Generally recommended for children
- Whilst Planet Lodge has no special child activities or facilities, older children can enjoy the swimming pool and the lodge has a relaxed atmosphere. We think this would be a good choice for families.
- The swimming pool is deep and there is no lifeguard on duty. Parents are advised to supervise children around this area at all times.
- Power supply notes
- There is a back-up generator.
- There is complementary Wifi and a business centre with computers and printers.
- TV & radio
- There is a DSTV in all rooms.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms are fully plumbed and have hot running water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- Staff are first aid trained, and there is a hospital in Arusha, which is around a 40-minute drive away.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There are security guards outside the lodge 24 hours a day.
- Fire safety
- There are hose pipes and fire extinguishers in place, and staff are trained in their use.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available at a cost of around $1–3 US dollars per item.
- There are electronic safes in the rooms. Planet Lodge can exchange small amounts of cash is necessary.
- Accepted payment on location
- Airport Planet Lodge accepts Mastercard and Visa, but not American Express. Some currencies are accepted, and these include US dollars, euros and Tanzanian shillings. Please note that GB pounds are not accepted.
Other lodges in Arusha
Alternative places to stay in this same area.