Beho Beho Tree-house: Our full report
Beho Beho has a treehouse option for guests who stay for four nights or more at the main camp.The Beho Beho team have built an exclusive treehouse which enables couples to spend a night under the African sky from the comfort of a purpose built platform in the treetops.
Forget your preconceptions of your average tree house, this one has not stinted on luxury. The platform is built into a leadwood tree, overlooking a sand riverbed. The Beho Beho treehouse comes complete with a comfortable double bed and mosquito net, which can be moved so that guests can sleep under the stars or under the cover of a canvas pavilion depending on their preference. In addition to this, there is an en-suite bathroom with a flush toilet and a shower.
Guests depart from Beho Beho in the afternoon on foot, accompanied by an armed guide who will point out any interesting wildlife spotted along the way. After around two hours or so, refreshing sundowners await you at the Treehouse, and guests will have some time to freshen up in the outdoor shower before going to a clearing nearby to have dinner around a campfire.
You will then head back to the treehouse for a night of star gazing and listening to the sounds of the African bush. In the morning, guests will be woken up to birdsong as the sun comes up over the Nyerere National Park before going on a guided morning walk. The walk will end with a gourmet bush breakfast under the shade of a large tree. Guests will then have the option to either drive back to Beho Beho or continue another guided bush walk.
Guests must pre-book before they arrive to Beho Beho so please speak to one of our Tanzania specialist if this is something that interests you.
The Beho Beho treehouse is perfect for couples who want to experience a sleep-out in the bush while maintaining a level of luxury. Only two people at a time can occupy the treehouse, so it creates a real feeling of exclusivity.
Unfortunately, in 2021, termites also discovered the joys of the treehouse and it is has had to be put out of use, temporarily we hope. Please ask your Expert Africa specialist for an update.
Country manager: Tanzania
- Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- 1 night - as part of a safari at Beho Beho
- It’s a 35-minute flight from Dar es Salaam into Nyerere National Park , where you will land at an airstrip right next to Beho Beho.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- For an unforgettable, romantic experience consider spending a night in the Beho Beho Treehouse.
- See ideas for Honeymoons
- The guides here are real experts on the birdlife, and the Selous is a great area for birdwatching in Tanzania. With waterbirds in the floodplains and lakes around the Rufiji River and dry-country raptors in the Beho Beho Hills, there’s good variety here.
- See ideas for Birdwatching
- Walking safaris
- Beho Beho's treehouse involves mostly walking safaris - with some of Africa's very best professional walking guides
- See ideas for Walking safaris
- Wildlife safaris
- Fly-camping always gets you closer to the wildlife, and you won't find better guides with whom to explore it than at Beho Beho.
- See ideas for Wildlife safaris
- This is Beho Beho’s satellite fly-camp, used as a ‘treat’ for a night in the bush from the camp. It’s probably the most luxurious ‘fly-camp’ that we know in Africa. Expect smart cocktails and a superb campfire dinner before retiring to sleep in a sumptuous double bed under the stars.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Beho Beho's treehouse isn't suitable for children.
- Generally recommended for children
- Parents should be aware that the treehouse is in the heart of the bush and wildlife can pass through at any time – children cannot be left unaccompanied.
- To all intents and purposes you should consider yourself out of contact. You will have contact with the camp via a radio, and the manager would use a satellite phone in case of emergency.
- TV & radio
- There is no TV or radio – this is deepest Africa!
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a first-aid kit on site for minor illnesses and injuries. For more serious cases, Beho Beho has links with the flying-doctor service in Dar es Salaam. Two walking guides have had advanced first-aid training.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Security measures
- There are guards around the camp and at night you will be escorted to and from the tree house.
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Included
- There is no currency exchange at Beho Beho.
- Accepted payment on location
- There are no extras to pay at Beho Beho, but tips are best made in either US dollars or Tanzanian shillings.
Other lodges in Selous Game Reserve
Alternative places to stay in this same area.