Roy's Restcamp: Our full report
Roy's Restcamp is situated between the Namibian towns of Grootfontein and Rundu, near the turn off to Tsumkwe.It works well as a stopover breaking a long drive to the Caprivi Strip in the north or en route to Bushmanland in the north east.
Roy's is an unassuming, slightly quirky rest camp. There are 7 small bungalows, all of an unusual rustic design. Built of stone and thatch, each bungalow has its own character created by the use of natural materials in the décor. Hessian curtains cover the windows, the beds are made with log bed frames and locally made masks and baskets adorn the walls. Each room has an en suite bathroom and barbeque facilities. Two of the bungalows are double storey and suitable for families – one room has a double and the other is fitted with twin beds.
Roy's Restcamp also has a nice campsite with 12 sites, a shower/toilet block and a kitchen area.
A thatched main building forms the relaxed heart of Roy's Restcamp with an informal bar and a simple dining area. As in the rooms, natural materials have been used to make the rustic furniture and local artwork adorn the walls. There is also a curio shop that sells locally made arts and crafts and a kidney-shaped swimming pool. Nearby is a campfire surrounded by overturned drums which form stools to sit on. Relax here with a drink in the evening and listen to the sounds of the surrounding bush before dinner.
For activities guests can choose between 2 self-guided marked walking trails or request an arranged visit to a Bushman village as part of a full or half day excursion.
If you're happy with the rustic environment, Roys Restcamp makes a good stopover en-route to Bushmanland or Rundu and the Caprivi Strip.
- Central Highlands, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Roy's Restcamp makes for a convenient 1 night stop for travellers en-route between Bushmanland and the Caprivi.
- Roy's Restcamp is situated on the main B8 road between Grootfontein and Rundu, near the C44 turn-off to Tsumkwe. The camp is about 1km from the road, and clearly sign posted.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Attitude towards children
- Roy's Restcamp welcomes families and has two rooms that will easily accommodation parents and children.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Roy's Restcamp
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Roy's Restcamp have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Internet facility and a communal safe are available at reception.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The closest doctor is in the town of Grootfontein.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available at an extra charge. However, use of this is only possible when spending more than one night at Roy's Restcamp.
Other lodges in Central Highlands
Alternative places to stay in this same area.