Coco de Mer Hotel: Our full report
Stretching along nearly 2km of coastline at Anse Bois de Rose, in the quiet southwest, you will find the ...... family-friendly Coco de Mer Hotel and its affiliated sibling, Black Parrot Suites.
The resort is perched on the hillside, not far up from the beach and sea and most of the rooms offer sea-views. Of the 40 en-suite rooms at Coco de Mer, 18 are 'Superior' rooms, right on the beach terrace, whilst 22 are 'Standard' rooms, set slightly back on the hillside. Despite the names, inside all are basically the same and offer refreshing, bright, modern interiors with maple furniture and sea-blue fabrics.
The rooms are built in blocks and therefore not particularly private. On entering, you will find that some, though not all, of the rooms are quite long and thin, with the only natural light coming from the French doors at the far side. This can give these rooms a slight corridor-like feel. These doors open out onto a small patio and lovely views to the sea. Each patio has its own table and chairs.
In the main living and sleeping area, there are large fitted wardrobes and cupboards, bedside tables, a dresser with television, beds and sofas which can be converted into beds. In the corner of the bedroom, rather unusually, you will find a corner bath with mirror surround, framed by two huge plant pots complete with up-lighters. All the rooms are air-conditioned.
The bathroom is tastefully decked out with neutral tiles and modern fittings, and offers double sinks, loo and walk-in shower and of course the ubiquitous bidet, found in virtually every bathroom in the Seychelles!
There's a raft of activities available including mini-golf, tennis, table tennis and giant chess, and it is possible to rent bicycles and snorkelling gear. There is a small gym and a free guided nature trail available which takes about 2 hours to complete. A selection of board games is available to borrow from reception.
There are hammocks and sunbeds scattered in the palm-shaded gardens and around the free-form swimming pool and there is a separate pool for toddlers. If you fancy a change to the resort's own beach, which is only a minute's walk away, a free bus service operates to Anse Lazio from Monday to Friday. The “Turtle Boutique" is stocked with souvenirs and gifts and well as essential toiletries and suncream.
Coco de Mer offers two restaurants which have a definite Creole vibe, largely courtesy of the extremely helpful staff. Next to the pool, there is a small bar/restaurant which offers a child-friendly a la Carte menu: for example burgers and chips, spaghetti bolognese, carbonara and toasted sandwiches are offered. We found them really reasonably priced when compared with most other hotels in the Seychelles. In the evening, those staying on half board basis (which is recommended), eat buffet-style in the Hibiscus Restaurant.
Coco de Mer is a cheerful place which is exceedingly well run. Unusually, it appeals just as well to families as it does for honeymooners, as it offers really exceptional value (by Seychelles standards) with very good food and a wide choice of plenty of activities.
- Praslin Island, Seychelles
- Ideal length of stay
- 3 nights or more
- Coco de Mer is 5 minutes by car from the jetty if you are arriving by boat, and about 15 minutes from the airport. Meet and greet transfers can be arranged if you prefer not to hire a car.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Half Board
- Food quality
- Coco de Mer has two restaurants. Next to the pool is the Mango Bar, which is open for lunch and serves a variety of lunch dishes, including fish, sandwiches, hamburgers and even a few pasta dishes. It makes for a very informal and relaxed spot for a bit to eat or even just a drink.
In the main building is the buffet-style Hibiscus Restaurant. An extensive buffet breakfast is served here, as are the buffet dinners. We found the food delicious when we visited, and we particularly enjoyed the Creole themed buffet on one evening. The meal was made even more enjoyable by the very friendly waiting staff.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Room service is available.
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included.
- For a really amazing value Seychelles honeymoon, Coco de Mer is a lovely choice. With good service and great food, you’ll enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. Set on a hillside, most of the rooms have sea views, and there are lots of activities, as well as an idyllic private beach.
- See ideas for Honeymoons
- Beach holidays
- Coco de Mer Hotel stands beside the sandy beach at Anse Bois de Rose, on Praslin’s south-west coast. With two pools, lots of activities and a gently sloping beach, it is great for children and one of the Seychelles best spots for a family beach holiday.
- See ideas for Beach holidays
- Attitude towards children
- Coco de Mer Hotel is a very family-friendly resort.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Babysitting can be arranged on request (for ages 3yrs and up), though parents should be aware that staff are not formally trained in child-minding.
- Cots and highchairs can be provided.
- Generally recommended for children
- Children are very welcome here and with two pools, lots of activities and a gently sloping beach, it is great option for families with children.
- The pool are unfenced and there is direct acess to the beach. There are also some steep drops. So children must be supervised by their parents at all times.
- Power supply notes
- UK -style 3-square-pin sockets are fitted throughout. International adaptors are available on request.
- In room telephones are provided. There is cellphone reception and complimentary WiFi is available in the main area.
- TV & radio
- Each room has its own television with some news, sports and movie channels.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms have a flushing toilet, shower and bathtub.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest hospital is in Baie St Anne 5 minutes' drive away.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is 24 hour security at Coco de Mer.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in all of the rooms.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- There are electronic safes in the rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa, MasterCard and Amex credit cards are accepted, as well as all cash in Seychellois Rupees, Euro, US dollars and Pounds Sterling.
Other lodges in Praslin Island
Alternative places to stay in this same area.
La Reserve is a friendly and well-run resort right on the beach. Stylish without being stuffy, it has a laid-back charm that suits both couples and families.
At the end of Côte d'Or, above the secluded beach of Anse Gouvernement, Hotel l'Archipel is a lovely, old-school hotel reminiscent of the island's colonial past.