Moriah Hill Resort: Our full report
The basic Moriah Hill Resort has a lovely lake-side location in Kibuye, with views across Rwanda’s Lake Kivu ...... to many small islands. Named for the small hill close by, the hotel opened in August 2007.
Moriah Hill has 18 standard rooms, set over three storeys, with the second and third levels reached by steep concrete steps. All are simply furnished, and we would describe the en-suite bathrooms as functional rather than stylish, but they are clean and comfortable, and each has a small private balcony with views over Lake Kivu.
Inside, you’ll find the normal hotel amenities, including a phone, a minibar, an electric safe, a pedestal fan and a slightly dated TV. Most rooms are either doubles or twins, but two would be suitable for a family of three.
The hotel also has a two-bedroom presidential suite, finished to a much higher level than the standard rooms, and with a rather opulent feel. The master bedroom has an imposing dark wood bed with gold-effect detailing, which is echoed in the large dressing table and free-standing wardrobe. The en-suite bathroom has a double bathtub, large shower and twin sinks. There’s also a smaller second bedroom as well as a lounge area and a kitchenette. While Moriah Hill had clearly invested money in the suite, it all felt a little over the top when we visited in May 2017, and lacked character.
The restaurant at Moriah Hill lies next to the lake shore, with a terrace where you can dine overlooking the lake. Friendly staff are on hand to bring drinks from the small bar, which you can also enjoy on a separate terrace with imitation wicker furniture and a few glass-topped coffee tables.
At the time of our visit, facilities were completed by a small sauna, but Moriah Hill was in the process of building a children’s playground and creating a short nature walk.
Activities from Moriah Hill include scenic boat trips from the small man-made beach, perhaps to Gisenyi or to nearby islands such as Amahoro or Chapeau de Napoleon. Or borrow a kayak to explore by yourself. It is also possible to walk along Lake Kivu or to climb up Moriah Hill itself for lovely views of the area, or to visit the interesting small town of Kibuye.
We were rather underwhelmed by Moriah Hill. It has a beautiful location, and the staff are friendly, but the rooms were dated, it lacked attention to detail and the whole place felt rather scruffy. If you are on a fairly tight budget then it may be worth considering, but there are certainly better options in the Kibuye area.
Country manager: Rwanda
- Lake Kivu, Rwanda
- Ideal length of stay
- 2 nights
- Moriah Hill is a drive of about 5 hour drive from Kigali, or 4 hours from Volcanoes National Park.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- We did not eat at Moriah Hill on our last visit, but we understand that breakfast is served as a buffet, with lunch and dinner being à la carte.
For lunch and dinner, the menu features a selection of hot dishes, including grilled chicken, freshly caught fish and vegetable curry.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Drinks included
- Drinks are at extra cost. Expect to pay around 2,000 Rwandan francs (US$2.50) for a beer, and 3,000 Rwandan francs US$3.50) for a glass of wine.
Bottled water is supplied in the rooms.
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at Moriah Hill.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Cots and highchairs are available on request. A children’s playground was in the process of being built in 2017.
- Generally recommended for children
- Moriah Hill is generally fine for children, although the concrete stairs leading to the rooms are fairly steep.
- Moriah Hill is located right on the edge of Lake Kivu, and we would recommend that children are supervised around the lakeshore.
- WiFi is available in the main areas and rooms.
- TV & radio
- All rooms have TVs with access to local channels.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- Staff are first-aid trained.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are in all rooms and central areas.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is available at around US$2 per item.
- Every room has an electronic safe.
- Accepted payment on location
- Moriah Hill accepts US dollars, Rwandan francs and euros, as well as all major credit and debit cards including Visa, Mastercard and American Express.
Other lodges in Lake Kivu
Alternative places to stay in this same area.