Auberge Provence is on the edge of the cliffs in Hermanus, on South Africa's Atlantic Coast.
Auberge Provence: Our full report
The Auberge Provence guesthouse stands on the edge of the cliffs in Hermanus, on South Africa’s Atlantic Coast. It has the very solid style of a traditional French Provencal farmhouse, with a rustic stone and wrought iron balconied façade, stone floors and arched walkway – and aims to deliver a high standard of care, elegance and luxury in a pretty traditional setting.
Auberge Provence feels a little bit like a small castle and the solidity of its construction means that it’s pleasantly cool even on the very hot day that we last visited. We’d also expect it to also be nice and warm in the winter for the same reason – which is a failing for a number of South Africa properties.
The interior of this auberge is modern, quite luxurious and dotted with some interesting pieces of traditional South African artwork. In the main areas you’ll find a variety of comfortable open-plan lounge areas and a spacious dining area.
All the suites at Auberge Provence are individually themed and furnished in soft, relaxing colours and natural woods. The beds have high-quality linens (proudly noted as “100% percale linen"), down duvets and sometimes fur throws. The en suite bathroom has a walk-in shower with double basins, and there’s also a separate dressing room. Each suite also has digital Satellite TV; tea and coffee making facilities; mini-bar fridges; hair dryers; telephones; dressing gowns and slippers; and complementary Wi-Fi – not to mention port and sherry.
The Auberge Provence has five different suites:
- Southern right suite has a queen-size extra large bed and is on the first floor, facing the ocean. Its en suite bathroom includes a ‘slipper’ bath with a shower attachment above it and double vanities.
- Harbour suite is also on the first floor, overlooking the sea, and is effectively identical to the Southern Right Suite.
- Fynbos Suite is similar to the South Right and Harbour suites, but its en suite bathroom has a walk-in shower.
- Lavender suite is on the ground floor with uninterrupted sea views. This suite has a king or twin-size extra large bed and its en suite bathroom contains a French bath for two persons, walk in shower and double vanities. There is a leading door to the patio with gate to cliff path.
The private courtyard, which leads out from en suite bathroom and bedroom has its own plunge pool.
- Overberg suite is a double-storey suite with sea and mountain views. It includes a bedroom upstairs with an en suite bathroom which is identical to the one found in the Lavender suite. Downstairs is a proper lounge which leads to the central courtyard and a pool terrace. Furthermore there is an extra door to a private courtyard, where you’ll find a Jacuzzi.
Outside is an outdoor pool with sun loungers as well as private patios and balconies; all of the rooms have doors which lead onto the verandah outside.
For a relaxing eating, Auberge Provence offers a luxury breakfast, served in several different locations and the culinary delights of Hermanus’s excellent restaurants are barely 1km away – which effectively means a short drive or a taxi ride.
Guests of the Auberge Provence have the option of linking into the wide variety of activities that are possible from Hermanus. These range from whale-watching and shark cage diving through to wine-tasting and world-class golf courses. Enthusiastic hikers might enjoy the famouscliff path here, as well as a variety of trails in the surrounding areas.
Our viewAuberge Provence is a fairly luxurious place to stay with high quality service and food in a sea-front location outside the centre of town. It is a good choice for relaxing a few days in a cozy and very romantic atmosphere – with plenty of walking and other activities on hand if you want them.
Ideal length of stay: 2 to 3 nights
Directions: Auberge Provence is about 115 km (1hour 30mins drive) from the Cape Town Airport, and in a fairly low-density suburb about 1km from the centre of town.
Accessible by: Self-drive
Food & drink
Usual board basis: B&B
Food quality: The food quality is excellent and we found the staff to be very hospitable staff. Auberge Provence offers a luxury breakfast, which is sometimes served under the grapevine terrace or possibly on the seafront patio. In the evenings a complementary high tea is served
Dining style: Individual Tables
Dining locations: Indoor and Outdoor Dining
Drinks included: High teas, complimentary port and sherry and sparkling wines for special occasions are included.
Attitude towards children: Families with children are welcome at The Auberge Provence.
Property’s age restrictions: All ages welcome
Special activities & services: Babysitting by arrangement
Power supply: Mains Electricity
Communications: 24 hour Reception, each room has internet facilities, free Wi-Fi and a telephone.
TV & radio: All rooms have a Digital Satellite TV
Water supply: Mains
Health & safety
Malarial protection recommended: No
Medical care: The nearest doctor is a few minutes drive away in Hermanus.
Dangerous animals: Low Risk
Laundry facilities: A laundry service is available - at extra cost.
Money: A safe is available at the reception.
Accepted payment on location: American Express, Diner Club, MasterCard and Visa are accepted.