The Motse at Tswalu: Our full report
In the Northern Cape region of South Africa, nestled close to the Kgalagadi National Park and Botswana, Tswalu ...... Kalahari Private Game Reserve is arguably the largest in South Africa. Situated within this 1,000km² reserve at the foot of the Korannaberg mountains is The Motse, facing out across the grasslands of the southern Kalahari. The scenery is beautiful and though wildlife isn’t prolific, the diversity of species more than make for this.
Re-opened in June 2019 after an extensive renovation, The Motse is now even better than ever. We are in the process of writing up a new webpage for The Motse at Tswalu, so please call us for further details in the mean time.
The Motse at Tswalu is a smart lodge in a fascinating area, quite different to the rest of South Africa. Desert wildlife dominates with chances of seeing the famous meekats and black-maned lions, as well as the possibility of catching a rare glimpse of the extremely elusive aardvark or pangolin.
Country manager: South Africa
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- 5 nights to give you a chance to fully explore.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Drinks included
- All drinks including a full selection from the wine list, as well as in-suite bar.
- Attitude towards children
- Property’s age restrictions
- The Motse welcomes children of all ages.
- Special activities & services
- Motse runs a special children's Junior Ranger programme.
They also offer a baby-sitting service, though do note that this is usually just one of the female staff who have children of their own as opposed to a qualified child-minder.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from The Motse at Tswalu
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at The Motse at Tswalu have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- The Motse has Wi-Fi available.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest doctor is in Upington.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
Sleeping under the stars
- Disabled access
Other lodges in Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.