Namib Outpost: Information from the owner
- No. of rooms
- Check-in time
- Check-out time
About this information
All the information on this page is supplied to us directly from the lodge owner and reflects their view, not ours.
For Expert Africa's view, see our own full report on Namib Outpost, which contains our own observations and views.
- Last updated by Owner
- 10 Oct 2023
Facilities at Namib Outpost
- Property facilities
- Bar, Battery Charging Facilities, Eco Friendly, Laundry Service (Available), Malaria Free, Mobile Connectivity, Pool, Secure Parking
- Room facilities
- Air Conditioning, Balcony / Deck, Detached Private Bathroom, En-Suite, Fridge, Hair Dryer, Laundry Service (Available), Mini Bar, Mosquito Nets, Pure Cotton Linen, Safe, Shower, Tea / Coffee
- Activities on site
- Game Drives, Horse Riding, Horse-back Safaris, Walks (Guided), Walks (Self Guided)
- Nearby activities
- Game Viewing, General Sightseeing, Hiking, Horse Riding, Horse-back Safaris, Hot-air Ballooning, Walks (Guided), Walks (Self Guided)
- Afrikaans, English
Room types at Namib Outpost
The Family Suite offers private shaded decks with a view. The Suite with a thatched roof is air conditioned, offers space or a family of 4, a double bed and two single beds.
The suites offer private shaded decks with a view. The suites with a thatched roof are air-conditioned.
The Superior Suite offers a genuine experience of the quietness and vastness of the Namib. It offers
a private pool and plenty of space. The modern and refined interior completes the appealing appearance.
Activities at Namib Outpost
NAMIB DESERT ON HORSEBACK
EXPERIENCE THE NAMIB
DESERT ON HORSEBACK
For the more adventurous of spirit, Desert Homestead Lodge offers a unique experience where guests can ride out onto the private reserve and sleep out in nature. The reserve is situated in between the majestic red sand see of the Namib Desert and the rugged Naukluft mountains.
Leaving the stables and lodge behind, an unforgettable journey set off through wide open plains riding over a varied terrain changing from soft, sandy, stretched open fields, to rockier mountain trails, through dry riverbeds, under social weavers nests and around camelthorn trees.
The experienced guide will eagerly tell more about the environment, fauna and flora. Riders are almost guaranteed to come across a herd or two of grazing Oryx, springbok, or Zebra and some varieties of smaller carnivores, such as Jackal and bat-eared foxes.
Riding takes place at a comfortable pace so that everyone feels comfortable. Slower riders can hang back while more experienced riders go for long stretched out gallops over grassy plains while winding the way towards the tented Camp, where refreshments await for a truly remarkable sundowner with magnificent views. After watching the sunset over the majestic mountains it’s time to kick off the boots, relax and enjoy the Namibian night skies. While Dinner gets ready on the campfire true Namibian style a refreshing shower awaits.
Dinner is served next to the crackling fire whilst conversation is sure to revert to the days riding. Then it’s time to retire to the comfortable tent or even a stretcher outside, for those who preferto sleep out in nature under starry skies to get some rest before the next day’s riding.
Riders will wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee brewing and bacon and eggs cooking over an open fire while watching the horses being prepared for the next stretch of riding. After a hearty breakfast, it is time to stretch the legs once again and set off on horses who eagerly awaits the rest of the adventure.
This experience can be tailored. There are three different offers.
The ‚Namib Night‘ begins in the afternoon and consists of two stages riding and one overnight stay in tents. The ‚Desert Experience‘ begins early in the morning and has three stages slightly
longer riding with an overnight stay in tents.
And ‚Stars of the Namib‘ with five stages of riding and two overnight stays (Desert Homestead Outpost / tented camp) offers a very intense experience for horse lovers, coupled with the exploration of nature in the Namib Desert. Riding to the next destination is done during the cooler time of day, while enjoying some lunch and down time during the heat of the day.
Horses vary from very tame and easy to ride -even if for those who have never ridden before-, to ones that are just as easily manageable, but willing and able to give a more exiting ride.
Beginners are just as welcome to join on this adventure as more experienced riders.
SOSSUSVLEI EXCURSION SUNDOWNER DRIVE
• Drive to the Sossusvlei dunes in a safari 4x4 vehicle accompanied by a Guide with in depth knowledge of the area
• Departure seasonally, depending on national park opening hours. Activity is possible in the early morning or afternoon ( in the morning preferably for photography – departing before sunrise. In the afternoon preferably for experiencing the dunes more in private, less visitors will be there)
• Minimum of 2 guests or single supplement applicable; small groups only (maximum of 9 guests per vehicle)
• Activity duration is approx. 1⁄2 a day (approx. 6 – 7 hours)
• Rate includes a picnic in the dunes, guide, water, entrance fees
On the Witwater Wilderness Reserve – 7000 ha.
• A relaxing way to end the day and enjoy beautiful views and a sundowner with drinks and snacks
• Starts in the afternoon, lasts 2 – 2 1⁄2 hours, departure times change seasonally; guests are back at the lodge just before dinner
• minimum of 2 guests or a single supplement applicable, max. 9 guests per vehicle
• Opportunity to come face to face with the pro-Namib in a safari 4x4 vehicle
• Includes sundowner-drinks and snacks
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
• Quad biking
• Hot air ballooning
• Scenic flights
The staff at Desert Homestead Lodge and Desert Homestead Outpost will be happy to organize all activities of other providers in the area.
An employee of the lodges informs the guests in detail about the start and departure times, depending on the season, as well as about meeting points, equipment, clothes etc. of the activities of the next day during the dinner.
For participation in afternoon a activities, check-in is necessary until 2 pm. In the case of a later arrival, it is not possible to guarantee a performance or attendance due to the different start times.
Other lodges in Namib-Naukluft National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.