Kigali Radisson Blu: Our full report
The smart new Kigali Radisson Blu opened in 2016.Part of the Radisson Blu chain of hotels, it provides a high standard of accommodation, and an array of facilities. The hotel is some 15 minutes from the airport, and next to the Kigali Convention Centre, and has clearly been built with business clientele in mind.
For a large international hotel, the Kigali Radisson Blu has quite a striking design. The outside of the building is sheathed in brightly coloured strips, which give the impression of a rather colourful industrial birds nest. The modern exterior is mirrored by sleek and contemporary interiors, with the main atrium extending the full height of the building and furnished with leather sofas and glass chandeliers.
One of the largest hotels in Kigali, the Radisson Blu has 292 rooms and suites, split into Standard or Business rooms, and Junior, Presidential and Diplomatic suites. The rooms can be arranged as either doubles or twins, and feel fresh and bright, with colourful prints on the walls. All are spacious and modern in design, decorated with crisp whites and bright splashes of colour. They are well appointed, too, with tea and coffee facilities, a flat-screen satellite TV, a well-stocked minibar, and safety deposit boxes. Complimentary toiletries provided in the en-suite bathrooms.
- 209 Standard Rooms are a good size, and either have views over the swimming pool and courtyard, or over the city.
- The 68 Business Rooms (also known as 'Deluxe Rooms') are a little larger, but similarly furnished. Additional comforts include a Nespresso coffee machine, as well as a bathrobe and slippers. Guests staying in these rooms have access to the business-class lounge.
- Five Junior Suites boast a separate living area and writing desk, giving you extra space to relax after a day exploring the city.
- Five Presidential Suites have two self-contained en-suite bedrooms and a separate guest bathroom. Additionally there is a spacious lounge with contemporary furnishings.
- The Diplomatic Suite is vast, by far the most spacious option at the Kigali Radisson Blu. In addition to the facilities of the Presidential Suites, it has its own dining area, office, kitchenette, and a separate visitors’ lounge.
- The Larder is open throughout the day, serving a varied buffet breakfast in the morning, and later both an à la carte menu and a themed buffet.
- The Italian-themed Filini Restaurant, which is open from midday.
On the facilities front, the Kigali Radisson Blu meets the expectations of a large international hotel. Along with an outdoor swimming pool and a well-equipped gym, you’ll find the Spa by Amani, where sauna and steam rooms are complemented by a number of treatment rooms. Services include in-room dining and a multilingual concierge.
The modern Radisson Blu provides comfortable accommodation in Kigali, and is conveniently located for quick transfers to the airport. Whilst we felt that it was a little lacking in character, it may be a good choice if you are looking for luxurious accommodation and contemporary design.
Country manager: Rwanda
- Kigali, Rwanda
- Ideal length of stay
- One or two nights to explore Kigali.
- The Radisson Blu is around a 15-minute drive from Kigali Airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- We did not have the chance to eat here when we visited in May 2017, but there is a choice of restaurants and dining options.
Breakfast is served at the Larder, which is open from 6.00am. There is an extensive buffet on offer with a range of hot and cold dishes, and eggs cooked to order.
Lunch and dinner can be taken be taken in either of the restaurants. The Larder serves an à la carte menu as well as a themed buffet, drawing influence from international cuisine as well as local Rwandan dishes.
For something a little different head over to the Filini Restaurant where you can choose from a selection of Italian-inspired dishes, from pizzas and pasta to meat dishes.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Room service and in-room dining can be arranged.
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included. Bottled water is provided in the rooms.
- Attitude towards children
- The Kigali Radisson Blu welcomes children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Babysitting services are available, although guests should be aware that babysitters may not be trained to UK standards.
- The hotel can provide cots and highchairs.
- Generally recommended for children
- We think this is fine for families, however it does have a more corporate feel to it.
- Children should be supervised when using the swimming pool and on the balconies.
- There is free WiFi throughout the hotel.
- TV & radio
- All rooms are equipped with a satellite TV.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms are plumbed with hot and cold showers and flush toilets.
Health & safety
- Medical care
- Staff are trained in first aid, and there is a large hospital in Kigali.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is 24-hour security outside the Radisson Blu.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in the corridors and staff are trained in their use.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- There is a laundry service, which is at an extra cost.
- There are lockable boxes in all rooms and suites.
- Accepted payment on location
- The hotel accepts all major credit cards. Cash payments may be made in US dollars, British pounds, euros and Rwandan francs.
Other lodges in Kigali
Alternative places to stay in this same area.