Periwinkle Guest Lodge: Our full report
The nautically themed Periwinkle Lodge is a stylish guesthouse with a lovely setting overlooking Robberg ...... Beach in Plettenberg Bay. In the last year the lodge has been revamped and refurbished and now has a much fresher look. The main colour scheme of pastel greens, blues and sand colour still remains and together with other beach decorations like shells and wood artifacts gives the lodge that beachy, casual atmosphere.
There are seven tastefully decorated bedrooms, which are all of a good size, and located on different levels of the three storey house. Six of the seven rooms have private balconies with either full or partial sea views. The smallest of the rooms has a courtyard view only.
The tranquil rooms are all equipped with modern en-suite facilities, TV's, tea/coffee facilities, built-in cupboards that has a bar fridge, hair dryer, electronic safe and ready-made beach bag with towels in it. Big mirrors decorated with driftwood and paintings are some of the lovely furnishings in the rooms. Periwinkle Lodge accepts children though they do not have any specific family rooms. Two rooms share one floor and because of this, though they are not interlinked, they work well with parents in one room and children in the room next door
The main area of the lodge is the kitchen cum dining room which is a smart large open plan space with an arched roof and floor to ceiling glass windows. There are doors that lead out to the balcony and the swimming pool with stunning views of the beach. On a sunny morning breakfast can be enjoyed on the balcony and what better way to have it! On our visit in November 2011 we could have sat there all day!
The guesthouse is operated on an honesty bar system and there is a limited amount of soft drinks, spirits and liqueurs available from the fridge in the kitchen. Guests are usually served pre dinner drinks in the lounge from 6pm onwards although this is not a requirement but it is a nice way to mingle with other guests.
For those who feel the need to exercise there is a small gym as well as a sauna near the office and therapeutic and beauty treatments are also available although pre-bookings are essential.
Periwinkle is a comfortable and relaxed guesthouse with direct excess to the beach. It is away from the main hustle and bustle of Plettenberg town centre and so if you're looking to be near the beach then this is the place to be.
South Africa expert
- Plettenberg Bay | Garden Route, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- 2 – 3 nights
- Periwinkle is on Beach Head Drive, Plettenberg Bay.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Only breakfast is served here and a buffet selection of fruits, juice, breads, cereals, yogurts are laid out on the breakfast counter. Hot options are available to order.
- Beach holidays
- The Periwinkle is just across the road from the middle of a long stretch of the beach at Plattenberg Bay; it’s a great venue for a beach holiday. The Lodge extends to three levels, and has breathtaking views of the famous Robberg Peninsula, Tsitsikamma Mountains and the sea.
- See ideas for Beach holidays
- Attitude towards children
- Families with children of all ages are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- Yes, for those over the age of six, but there are no specific family rooms available.
- The area has mobile reception and each of the rooms is fitted with a telephone.
- TV & radio
- Each room is equipped with a Television with local channels only.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There are doctors and a hospital in Plettenberg Bay
- Dangerous animals
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are well placed around the lodge.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is available at an extra charge
- Each room is equipped with an electronic safe. Currency exchange is not possible at the lodge as there are banks in the town.
- Accepted payment on location
- All major credit cards, except for Amex and Diners cards are accepted.
Other lodges in Plettenberg Bay | Garden Route
Alternative places to stay in this same area.