Nest Hotel: Our full report
On a prime seaside spot in Namibia's coastal town of Lüderitz, the Nest Hotel overlooks the beach and the ...... ocean beyond, with sea views from all its rooms. It makes an ideal base from which to explore Lüderitz and the many unusual attractions found in and around the area.
The Nest lies towards the southern end of this small town, a short drive or a longer walk from the harbour and other central amenities. Facilities are what you might expect from an international-style and fairly large hotel: a restaurant, a deck bar, a terrace with spectacular views of the sea, a swimming pool, children's play area, sauna, a conference room, WiFi facilities, 24-hour room service, and laundry services.
Each of the 70 en-suite rooms has a view over Lüderitz Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. They differ slightly in décor, not least as when we visited in April 2018 they were being renovated.
The newly decorated or ‘deluxe’ rooms feature a more modern theme and a higher standard of fittings. They also have a different bathroom layout, resulting in a spacious shower that feels more like a wet room, as opposed to the original shower-over-bath set up.
All the rooms have air conditioning (and heating, which might be more useful in Lüderitz) and are furnished with twin or double beds, a desk, chairs and a TV with satellite channels. Other amenities include direct-dial phones, tea/coffee facilities and a hairdryer. The twin rooms have a small balcony whereas the double rooms have just a window from which to appreciate the view.
Central to the Nest Hotel is the Penguin restaurant, which usually offers both a buffet and a supplementary à la carte menu, or just the à la carte menu when the hotel is quieter. It is advisable to pre-book a table for dinner if you wish to eat at the hotel as many local Namibian residents like to dine here too, especially on a Sunday; the standard is pretty high. Sliding glass doors lead from the restaurant onto a terrace that overlooks a manicured lawn and the beach. This is a nice spot to enjoy the view with a book or a cup of tea or coffee and cake. Upstairs, you can dine from the same à la carte menu in the less-formal Crayfish Bar and Lounge, whose pleasant terrace offered a good vantage point for an afternoon drink during our stay.
Although the Nest overlooks a small private beach area, the Atlantic Ocean is usually far too cold to swim in. On a hot day you can enjoy the two-partswimming pool instead, with a kidney-shaped main pool and a smaller children's splash pool. Set on the leeward side of the hotel, it surrounded by green lawns, palms and sunloungers.
Venturing out, the hotel makes a great base from which to explore the town itself and the Lüderitz coastline and Diaz Point, as well as the fascinating ghost town of Kolmanskop, Bogenfels rock arch and the mining town of Pomona in the surrounding desert. A trip to Halifax Island to see a colony of African penguins is also highly recommended!This is split in two with a kidney shaped main pool and a smaller children's splash pool.
The rooms and communal areas at the Nest Hotel lack the atmosphere of many of Namibia's smaller guesthouses, and the clientele is mostly made up of coach parties and business people. However, if you don't mind the corporate surroundings and anonynimity of a large hotel, it offers a very attractive location and is well placed for exploring the town, the peninsula and the desert.
Country manager: Namibia
- Luderitz, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- One or two nights
- The Nest Hotel is situated on Lüderitz's ‘Blade Strand’ along the beach at the southern end of the town.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- We were thoroughly impressed by the food on our last stay at the Nest Hotel in April 2018. The quality and the selection of the food on offer was excellent and we couldn’t fault the service.
A breakfast buffet is served between 7.00 and 10.00am. There was a huge selection to choose from including cereals, different types of breads and rolls, pastries, meats, cheeses, fruits, yoghurts and muffins. Along with ready-cooked hot items such as sausages, bacon, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms there was an omelette bar where eggs were cooked to order. The only downside was that with lots of groups in residence, and most people having breakfast at the same, it did feel quite busy and cramped.
Light meals such as sandwiches, pasta dishes or pizzas are available from 10.00am to 6.30pm, either on the terrace, in the Penguin Restaurant or from room service.
Dinner was as impressive as breakfast in terms of choice and standard. We chose from an extensive array on the buffet menu, with cold starters including spring rolls, samosas, chicken wings, and fresh bread rolls. For the main course our selection of fresh fish was fried in front of us and served with our choice of sauce and a selection of vegetables, potatoes and rice dishes. There was also roast pork, roast chicken and beef. The choice didn’t stop there as the dessert table was groaning with profiteroles, malva pudding, chocolate marble cake, caramel fudge cake, jelly and more!
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Yes, between 7.00am and 11.00pm.
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included at the Nest Hotel.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at the Nest Hotel.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- There is a small children's play area and childminding is possible if arranged in advance at reception. Note, however, that childminders are not qualified in childcare.
- Highchairs can be provided on request.
- Generally recommended for children
- Power supply notes
- Generator back up
- There are phones in each of the rooms at the Nest Hotel. WiFi is also available throughout the hotel.
- TV & radio
- There is a satellite TV in each room and in the bar.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Each room has a flush toilet, and hot and cold running water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a hospital in Lüderitz.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The Nest Hotel has a secure parking area and 24-hour security.
- Fire safety
- Each room is equipped with a fire extinguisher.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is available for an extra cost.
- No currency exchange facilities are available. There is a safe in every room.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and Mastercard are accepted for card payments, while cash payments may be made in South African rand and Namibian dollars.
Other lodges in Luderitz
Alternative places to stay in this same area.