Kigali Marriott Hotel: Our full report
Located in the heart of Rwanda’s capital city, the Kigali Marriott is a smart international hotel with comfort...... able rooms and plenty of facilities. The hotel is part of the Marriott chain of hotels and provides the same comparably high standards of accommodation, food and service as can be found at their other properties.
Walking in to the Kigali Marriott Hotel (next door to the Kigali Serena) you are struck by the vast atrium, which extends the full height of the building. One wall is decorated with hundreds of traditional woven Rwandan bowls, whilst the back ‘wall’ is constructed from glass panels, giving views out over the tropical garden. A set of curved steps leads down to an open plan dining area where a buffet breakfast is served daily.
Outside you will find a large swimming pool surrounded by shaded loungers and flowerbeds planted with small palms. Up a set of stone steps is a raised terrace with further seating and low tables in a colour scheme of black and red. There is a small bar here, and friendly staff on hand to serve you a refreshing drink.
The Kigali Marriott has 254 rooms and suites spread across eight floors. Whilst these vary in terms of their size and facilities, they all share floor to ceiling windows with views over Kigali. All the rooms come with either a king-sized bed or two double beds, and a writing desk and chair. Amenities include air-conditioning, a digital safe, tea and coffee facilities, a minibar, and a satellite TV. Each room has a well-appointed en-suite marble bathroom with a bathtub and separate shower. All the rooms have been designed in a neutral colour scheme, and are finished to a high standard, although there is very little to suggest you are in Rwanda.
The 25 suites are much more spacious than the standard rooms. The junior suites come with their own adjoining lounge, whereas the executive and presidential suites are vast, featuring their own private dining area and small kitchenette. The presidential suite also has a beautiful rooftop terrace.
There are a range of dining options at the Kigali Marriott:
- Soko is a vibrant restaurant located in the central atrium, and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Cucina is an Italian restaurant serving a range of tasty pizzas and pastas, and provides a more formal atmosphere than Soko.
- Iriba Bar and Terrace has the feeling of a trendy bar, serving specialty coffee by day and cocktails by night. Come here for a light lunch or an after-dinner drink.
- Sarabi Grill opens for lunch and serves a range of drinks and light lunches; we understand that the burgers are excellent.
The Kigali Marriott Hotel is certainly one of the better accommodation options in Kigali. With 254 rooms it is a large hotel with a somewhat impersonal feel. However, its contemporary design, range of restaurants, lovely views and good central location make it a great choice for a short stay in Kigali.
Country manager: Rwanda
- Kigali, Rwanda
- Ideal length of stay
- One or two nights
- The Kigali Marriott Hotel is around a 15-minute drive from Kigali airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- We did not eat at the Kigali Marriott Hotel in our most recent visit in 2017. However, we understand that there is a range of dining options.
Breakfast is served at Soko restaurant in the central atrium, and takes the form of a varied buffet. Guests can choose from a selection of fresh fruit, breads and cereals and eggs can be cooked to your liking.
Lunch can be taken at one of several on-site restaurants, such as Iriba Bar and Terrace or Sarabi Grill.
Dinner options are varied. Head to Cucina for an Italian-inspired menu, or Soko restaurant for international cuisine.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Room service is available at an extra cost.
- Drinks included
- Bottled water is provided in the rooms and is also for sale in the restaurants. You can expect to pay around US$3 for a soft drink and around US$5-10 for a beer or glass of wine. There are minibars in all the rooms.
- Attitude towards children
- The hotel welcomes children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- A babysitting service is available but it is worth noting that this will be by local ladies, and not professionally trained babysitters.
- Cots and highchairs can be provided.
- Generally recommended for children
- The Kigali Marriott is a family friendly hotel with lots of facilities.
- The swimming pool is deep and there are no barriers; we recommend that young children are supervised around the pool area.
- Power supply notes
- There is a back up generator.
- WiFi is available in all areas.
- TV & radio
- Every room has a satellite TV.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All bathrooms are plumbed and have hot running water and flush toilets.
Health & safety
- Medical care
- Staff are first-aid trained and there is a hospital in Kigali.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There is 24-hour security.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are located throughout the hotel.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is available at an extra cost.
- There are electronic safes in all the rooms and the hotel can exchange small amounts of money.
- Accepted payment on location
- The Kigali Marriott Hotel accepts all major credit cards, and cash payments in US dollars, GB pounds, euros and Rwandan franks.
Other lodges in Kigali
Alternative places to stay in this same area.