Gorilla's Nest: Our full report
North of Kinigi, Mountain Gorilla's Nest, often know simply as 'Gorilla's Nest', is just a short drive from ...... the headquarters of Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park.
Gorilla's Nest has been taken over by One&Only, and has undergone significant refurbishments...and what a transformation it is too! It reopened under its new ownership on the 30th October 2019 as an extremely luxurious lodge. We are in the process of updating this webpage but please call us to find out the latest information.
Gorilla's Nest is a little north of Kinigi, and very close to the main headquarters of Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park – from where all the hikes to see the gorillas depart in the morning. Previously a larger and good quality hotel, it was taken over by Dubai World in 2008, and was undergoing lengthy and considerable refurbishments. The ownership changed hands over the years, and we had no word on when the lodge would be re-opening.
One&Only took over Gorilla's Nest, and the adjacent Jack Hanna's House, in early 2017, and they now have a beautiful lodge in line with their other properties, including Nyungwe House, just outside Nyungwe Forest National Park. We have high expectations for this smart, high-end lodge.
Gorillas Nest is a well-appointed, highly luxurious accommodation option, with very friendly and professional staff. The size and layout of the property gives it a resort feel, and becasue of this it does perhaps lose the personalised touch that some of the smaller high-end options in this area can offer. However, the location is fantastic both as a base for trekking to the gorillas, and to enjoy the scenery and many other activities on offer. Overall this is a very good inclusion to a high-end Rwandan safari.
- Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda
- Ideal length of stay
- We would recommend a stay of three or four nights at Gorillas Nest - though this will be dependent upon how many times you trek to see the gorillas, and if you wish to partake in any other activities
- Gorillas Nest is a drive of approximately 2½–3 hours from Rwanda's capital, Kigal
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- We did not get the opportunity to eat at Gorillas Nest when we visited. However, we expect that the quality and variety of food would be comparable to that at sister lodge Nyungwe House. The food there was incredibly high, and easily matches that of any top city restaurant. With advance notice special diets and requests can be catered.
- With luxurious private free standing villas, heated infinity pool, spa and fine dining, Gorillas Nest is an exclusive base to trek the mountain gorillas. You’ll experience top level service throughout.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Children aged 12 years and above are welcome.
- Generally recommended for children
- Young children are not hugely encouraged, though they will be made to feel welcome. Gorillas Nest has an adult atmosphere and so is more suited to older or well-behaved and mature children. Note that the minimum age for trekking gorillas is 15 years old.
- The pool is unfenced, so younger children should be supervised in this area.
- Cellphone and WiFi connection throughout.
- TV & radio
- There is satellite TV in every villa.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- We understand there are first aid kits on site, and some staff members are first aid trained. The closest hospital is in Kirambo, a 35-minute drive from Nyungwe House.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- Gated and fenced with security personnel on the property.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are located in each room and in the main area. Staff trained in their use.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- Included. 24 hour service.
- There is an electronic safe in each room. It is possible to exchange small amounts of USD.
- Accepted payment on location
- isa and Mastercard are excepted.
Other lodges in Volcanoes National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.