Central Lodge: Our full report
True to its name, Central Lodge is centrally located in the southern Namibian town of Keetmanshoop.A small oasis in otherwise fairly bland surroundings, it offers a comfortable stopover en route to the Fish River Canyon, Lüderitz or the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in South Africa. It is also worth visiting the nearby Quiver Tree Forest and Giant's Playground during your time here.
Although not one of Namibia's most picturesque towns, Keetmanshoop (considered the capital of the Namibian south) does have some handsome old buildings and an interesting museum showcasing the town's past. For the most part, though, visitors here are on their way to more dramatic landscapes to the east, west and south. Should you wish to explore the town itself, you can usually store your luggage with the reception staff rather than keeping it in your vehicle.
Guests at Central Lodge step through the main entrance of the cheery yellow building into a cool reception area where they are welcomed by helpful staff.
Most of the 27 air-conditioned rooms are set around a courtyard of green, manicured lawn, whose central fountain and well-placed palm trees enhance the tranquil atmosphere. Three of the rooms are large enough for families of up to four, and another two have an interleading door allowing family members to be next to each other while retaining their own space.
The lodge was fully booked on our last visit in May 2018 so we were unable to see the rooms themselves, but we know from several previous visits that each is furnished with comfortable beds, a writing desk, two chairs, and a coffee table. A built-in cupboard and luggage rack supply ample storage space and tea/coffee facilities provide the chance for a revitalising boost after what is often a long drive. Each room also has a TV and a telephone.
The en-suite bathrooms, although fairly small, are clean and functional,with a flush toilet, basin and shower. Four of the double rooms have a larger bathroom and boast a “spa bath”.
Partially screened off from the garden and rooms, Central Lodge’s swimming pool is surrounded by a lawn set with outdoor furniture, creating a nice area to relax with a drink or a quiet lunch.
While staff may be able to recommend a restaurant for dinner, it is often easier to eat at the lodge's à la carte restaurant. Central Lodge also has a fully licensed bar, popular with Keetmanshoop locals as well as guests, where food and drinks can be ordered throughout the day. A relatively new coffee shop to one side of the entrance is matched to the other by a new sushi bar (opening times to be finalised), which was undergoing the final touches during our visit. Both are owned by the lodge and should provide some variety to the culinary scene in this slightly tired town.
Central Lodge works well for a comfortable night's stopover between Namibia's sights. There are no bells and whistles here but the owners have done enough to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere. Occasionally there is the odd maintenance problem but we have always found the staff willing to assist with any queries during our visits.
Country manager: Namibia
- Southern Namibia, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Well situated for a one-night stopover between Namibia's more dramatic landscapes and sights.
- Central Lodge is set on Fifth Street in Keetmashoop, almost next to the town's Standard Bank and near the tourist information centre.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- On our last visit in May 2018 we didn’t have the opportunity to eat at Central Lodge, but we know from previous visits that meals usually take the following format:
A buffet breakfast, served between 6.00am and 9.00am, offers fairly standard guesthouse-type fare including a variety of cereals, breads, cold meats, fruit, juice and yoghurt. There’s also a selection of cooked eggs. Hot drinks, including a range of flavoured teas, are self-service.
For lunch, light meals include the likes of toasted sandwiches, salads and burgers.
Dinner is served in the restaurant between 6.00pm and 9.00pm. The à la carte menu offers a variety of straightforward fish, steak and chicken dishes, such as the tasty wiener schnitzel with mushroom sauce that we tried on one visit.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included
- Attitude towards children
- Central Lodge welcomes families and has a few rooms that will easily accommodate parents and children.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Highchairs and cots are available on request.
- Generally recommended for children
- Children must be under the supervision of their parents at all times, especially as there are steps and an unfenced, unguarded pool
- Power supply notes
- There are power points in the rooms for guests to use freely.
- There are phones in each of the rooms, and good cellphone coverage and free WiFi is available in the main areas for guests.
- TV & radio
- The lodge has DSTV (digital satellite television) in all the rooms and an entertainment system in the restaurant and bar. Soft music is played throughout the day.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All rooms have plumbed toilets and hot and cold running water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- Keetmanshoop hospital is about 1km outside the town centre. The Daan Viljoen clinic is about 10 minutes drive from the lodge.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The Central Lodge has a secure parking area and a security guard is on duty throughout the day.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are evenly placed outside some of the rooms.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available for an extra charge.
- The Central Lodge does not accept or exchange foreign currency.
There are no safes in any of the rooms, but guests can lock their rooms or ask that valuables be stored in the office behind reception.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and Mastercard are accepted without surcharge. Cash payments may be made in South African rand and Namibian dollars.
Other lodges in Southern Namibia
Alternative places to stay in this same area.