Le Sans Souci: Our full report
Reached via a mountain road which winds through the tropical vegetation, Le Sans Souci Guest House stands ...... high on the mountain slopes overlooking Victoria Port and the neighbouring islands of St Anne Marine National Park. Set amongst tropical mountain gardens, this gem of a guest house is not on a beach; however it has stupendous views and an ideal location for exploring Mahé's interior.
Owner-run by the very welcoming Janine & Hugues, Le Sans Souci only has three rooms for visitors: two doubles and one family room, which has a double and twin beds. A very extensive fourth room, with two bedrooms, some catering facilities and a massive panoramic window, is planned to open in 2016.
All of the rooms are decorated in the same fresh style - white-washed and exposed granite walls, white tiled floors, simple wooden furniture and white cotton curtains and soft furnishings. Each double room has a good-sized fitted wardrobe, full length mirror, cushioned deck-chairs, double bed, and bedside lamps and tables. There is also air-conditioning, a ceiling fan, telephone, mini-bar, tea and coffee making facilities and free Wi-Fi throughout Sand Souci.
The rooms are all light and spacious and are accessed by sliding doors. Towards the back of the double rooms a few steps lead up to the bathroom which is in the same style and has a good sized shower, single wash-basin set in a wooden work top and toilet. There is a wall mounted hair-dryer and washing basket, and soap is provided.
The family room is almost identical to the doubles except that it is double-storey and there is a dressing room. The twin beds are on the ground floor along with the bathroom and dressing room, and upstairs you will find the double room; its own balcony has lovely views over Victoria and the harbour.
Sans Souci has a very open terrace with a lovely swimming pool adjacent to an open-sided bar and dining area where breakfast and dinner (on request) are served. Both take full advantage of the beautiful views and there are sun-beds and tables and chairs laid out around the pool. Janine's social personality makes this a very welcoming, friendly area where guests often linger to relax and chat. It's clear that this is a pleasure for Janine, not merely a job, and her approach is a big factor in making Sans Souci a real pleasure to visit.
Sans Souci Guest House is about 15 minutes' drive from the centre of the capital, Victoria, and so car hire is more-or-less essential if you are staying here – so we'll usually include it in your trip. Free transfers to and from the airport are offered, and the owners will also help you to organise any excursions or activities that you are interested in.
Le Sans Souci has not only a spectacular location in the mountains, but it is also probably the best base in the Seychelles for walking and hiking trips in the mountains and forests which cloak this part of Mahe's interior. The owners know the local walking routes well, and can provide leaflets and simple maps on the walking trails.
We find Le Sans Souci to be very welcoming: Janine makes a great hostess. Although not on the beach, the setting is wonderful and Sans Souci is ideal as a base for walking in Mahé's forested mountains. Meanwhile, it's only 15 minutes' drive to Beau Vallon Beach and, on the other side, it's 20 minutes' drive to the beaches in the Port Launey area.
- Mahe Island, Seychelles
- Ideal length of stay
- 3 nights or more – especially if you're keen to do a lot of walking.
- About 10 minutes up the mountain road coming from Victoria the turning to Sans Souci is on your left, 50m past the tortoise and goat pen, just before a viewing point. It is easy to get lost on your first time here, so we'll normally arrange for the owners to pick you up from the airport. We still remember the owners venturing out to find us when we got lost on our first visit here – and doing so with smiles and plenty of understanding!
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Not really room service, but a 3-course evening meal, can be arranged on request.
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included.
- Birdwatchers in the Seychelles will enjoy Sans Souci for seeking out some of the Seychelles' endemic birds. These include the blue pigeon, Seychelles kestrel and Seychelles scops owl. A pair of barn owls also visit regularly in the evening.
- See ideas for Birdwatching
- Le Sans Souci Guest House is a great base for walks in the Seychelles with access to the mountains of Mahe Island; routes leading directly from the guesthouse; and the trails in Seychellois National Park are only a short drive away.
- See ideas for Walking
- Attitude towards children
- Le Sans Souci Guesthouse is certainly family friendly.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Baby-sitting can be arranged on request, though they won't be formally trained child-minders.
- Cots, high chairs and car seats for babies can be provided on request.
- Generally recommended for children
- This is a relaxed guesthouse, which would be suitable for families. Though refer to the notes about the unfenced pool and steep drops, as supervision of children is required at all times.
- Children must be supervised at all times as there is an unfenced pool, and there are steep drops around the sides of the property due to its mountainside location.
- There is cellphone reception at the guesthouse and in-room telephones are provided. Fax and internet services are available on request. Free WiFi is available throughout the property.
- TV & radio
- Weather-permitting, a big screen can be set up outside for major events, but there are no TVs in the rooms.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- The rooms have a flushing toilet and shower.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest hospital is in Victoria about 10-15 minutes away. There is a private doctor 10 minutes away who will come to Sans Souci if needed.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers outside the rooms.
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- There are key-operated safe deposit boxes in the rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- Le Sans Souci will accept Mastercard, Visa and Amex credit cards, as well as cash payments in Seychellois Rupees, US dollars, Euro and Pounds Sterling.
Other lodges in Mahe Island
Alternative places to stay in this same area.
The luxurious Constance Ephelia Resort is set on the quiet western coast of Mahé, overlooking Port Launay Marine National Park.