The Last Word Franschhoek: Our full report
Often known as simply ‘The Franschhoek’, The Last Word Franschhoek is a small, smart boutique hotel with ...... just ten rooms, in the town of Franschhoek, in the heart of the Cape’s winelands. It’s a very short walk from restaurants, shops and art galleries – and a great base from which to explore the surrounding vineyards and countryside.
The entrance to The Franschhoek is directly off the main road along a narrow paved walkway lined by bougainvilleas and a rose garden. Steps to the side of the building lead up to a wooden deck around an old oak tree with views across the mountains. We understand the tree is home to spotted eagle owls, and we saw a juvenile in the garden!
The décor throughout The Last Word Franschhoek is elegant, and the colour scheme of neutrals and creams, with pale greens, blues and the occasional (tasteful) floral pattern gives it sophisticated and really tranquil atmosphere.
The open-plan main area of the Franschhoek is divided into a lounge area to the left and a breakfast area to the right. Directly in front, glass doors lead out on to a pretty courtyard patio and a swimming pool with a few sunloungers. There is also a small residents’ bar and library with a guest computer.
From our stay, long experience of its sister-properties, and reports from travellers, we are confident in the very high levels of personal service from the small team here; it’s the kind of place where they go above and beyond what travellers expect in terms of helpfulness.
There are just ten rooms, comprising two ‘pool suites’ and eight ‘superior doubles’.
Standard features in all of the rooms include under-floor heating, tea/coffee trays, electronic safes, air conditioning, telephones, flat-screen TV with satellite access and DVD player, a bedside clock and telephone. The en-suite bathrooms are fitted with hairdryers and shaving points, heated towel rails, bathrobes and slippers and complimentary toiletries. Added extras in the rooms are fresh flowers and port decanters, and each room also has free internet access.
The ‘superior doubles’ each have a private patio and garden area, whilst the ‘pools suites’ – which are about 50% larger – each have their own private pool and courtyard.
The Last Word Franschhoek is a smart little boutique hotel in the heart of the lovely village of Franschhoek. It offers the high levels of service and comfort that we’d hope for from a good boutique hotel – and we believe that it delivers these. It’s not inexpensive, but we have no hesitation in recommending it enthusiastically.
South Africa expert
- Winelands, South Africa
- Ideal length of stay
- 2–3 nights
- The Last Word Franschhoek is located opposite the BICCS on the main road in the town of Franschhoek. It is about 1.15 min drive from Cape Town
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- All drinks are included.
- The Franschhoek promises a very romantic honeymoon in South Africa. There are six rooms, two of which each have their own private pool and patio; a honeymoon here offers real privacy in absolute luxury. Expect special touches from the dedicated staff at this boutique hotel.
- See ideas for Honeymoons
- The Last Word Franschhoek’s location in the French corner of the Cape proves to be a perfect setting for an idyllic, luxurious holiday. High levels of personalized service and comfort in a region with a fine tradition of wine-making make this a perfect base for wine lovers.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Children over 8 years are accepted.
- Generally recommended for children
- Although children over eight years of age are accepted here, the atmosphere is quite quiet and smart – and so probably best suited to adults or very well-behaved older children.
- Free WiFi is available throughout and there is a guest computer in the library. The area has cellphone reception.
- TV & radio
- Each room is fitted with a 13 channel satellite TV.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a hospital in the town
- Dangerous animals
- Security measures
- There is 24-hour security and the managers live on site.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are well placed around the property.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- Each room has an electronic safe. Currency exchange is not possible.
- Accepted payment on location
- All major credit cards are accepted at The Franschhoek.
Other lodges in Winelands
Alternative places to stay in this same area.
Le Quartier Francais
Le Quartier Français is a boutique hotel with beautiful rooms and a great restaurant conveniently located on Franschhoek’s main street.
La Petite Ferme
A comfortable, elegant guesthouse, La Petite Ferme offers a broad range of accommodation in a stunning vineyard setting.
Babylonstoren is beautiful property located on a stunning working wine farm between Franschhoek and Paarl, and is surrounded by vineyards and the Drakenstein Mountains.
Located in the historic heart of Stellenbosch, the Oude Werf is a lovely hotel and a good base for exploring the South Africa’s Winelands.
Angala Boutique Hotel
Angala Boutique Hotel is a luxurious, contemporary guesthouse in the heart of the Cape Winelands – between Franschhoek, Paarl and Stellenbosch.
The Lanzerac Hotel is a historic Cape Dutch manor house and winery that has been turned into an opulent hotel offering some of the regions finest accommodation and first-rate cuisine.