Legendary Lodge: Our full report
Situated a short distance from Arusha airport, Legendary Lodge is a small guesthouse set in lush green gardens ...... on a working coffee plantation that opened in 2005. On a clear day there are magnificent views of Mount Meru. It offers a luxurious and comfortable place to overnight at the beginning or end of your safari.
There are ten garden cottages at Legendary Lodge, each decorated slightly differently, but all extremely comfortable and spacious with a sophisticated colonial style. At the front of the room the 'living area' has a number of plush leather sofas facing the open fireplace (welcome in Arusha's cooler months) and large satellite TV. A few coffee table books are scattered around, including one which explains the colourful history of the lodge itself, which makes for an interesting read - guests can do a tour of the coffee farm too if they are interested. There's a well stocked mini bar (which is included in the price) and also tea and coffee making facilities. A small table and chairs can be used as a desk if guests want to take advantage of the free WiFi on offer.
Immediately behind the living area, the bedroom contains a vast and very comfortable four-poster mosquito net-covered double bed. Out of sight behind the sleeping area, there's a small dressing area, with plenty of space to hang your clothes and store your luggage. The bathroom is at the far rear of the cottages, with a large bath, twin sinks, and separate toilet and rain shower. A hairdryer, plus towels and bathrobes, and a number of Africology toiletries are provided for guests to use. There's certainly no lack of space in these cottages, and everything is finished to a high standard.
In addition to the cottages, there are also two family houses, which are similar in style, and with several bedrooms connected by one vast living area. Families are welcome to have meals here separately.
The central areas of the lodge are a continuation of the colonial style in the rooms. The roaring open fireplaces, leather sofas, open bar (to which guests are welcome to help themselves) means you feel immediately at home and relaxed. Despite the comfort and luxury, the lodge has an incredibly unpretentious feel to it, which we really enjoyed. Meals are generally served either in the dining room, out on the verandah (blankets are provided in the evenings!) or when the weather is nice, out on the manicured lawn. During our last stay in September 2018, we enjoyed pre-dinner drinks and bitings out on the lawn as the sun was setting, before moving to the verandah for dinner
For those who have a little more time to spend here, there is also a well-equipped spa with a variety of treatments available. Whilst most treatments take place in the spa itself, some can be set up in your own room. The swimming pool is a lovely spot to while away an afternoon, although note that its proximity to the owner's private house means that it is not available for guests' use when the owners are staying (just a few weeks per year).
About 10 minutes golf cart drive away, there is an excellent recreation centre with squash and tennis courts, a gym, pool, sauna and steam room which are free for guests to use. Yoga and Zumba classes can also be arranged. There are bicycles available at the lodge with which guests can explore the grounds and surrounding farmland.
We think Legendary Lodge is a brilliant option for travellers who need to spend a night or two in Arusha. It's well run, small, welcoming, and certainly of a very good quality. Its price tag means that it will appeal more to those with a slightly higher budget, but as it's one of Arusha's best options, Legendary Lodge would be a great beginning or end to a luxurious safari itinerary.
- Arusha, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- Stay here for a night or two at the beginning or end of your safari.
- The lodge is 15 minutes drive from Arusha Airport, and around an hour from Kilimanjaro International Airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- We visited Legendary Lodge in September 2018 and were very impressed with the dining experience. The menus were balanced and interesting, service attentive and friendly, and location overlooking the gardens was very pleasant.
Breakfast was served on the verandah and involved a buffet selection of fresh fruits, pastries, cheese and meats, followed by a cooked breakfast.
Lunch is a choice between three starters, three mains and three deserts. We had a delicate salmon terrine to start, followed by steak frites, and a light sorbet to finish.
Dinner was also an a la carte menu with three choices. There was a good variety of options which we really struggled to choose between! We started with prawn tempura and then had wonderful duck breast with a red wine jus, ending with a decadent chocolate soufflé.
Overall, the food here was just as good as we were expecting, given the high quality of the accommodation.
- Attitude towards children
- The lodge welcomes children.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions.
- Special activities & services
- Dining can be arranged to suit the needs of a family.
- Cots and highchairs are available.
- Generally recommended for children
- The family rooms here make it a good option for families, with plenty of space while still being under the same roof. The bicycles, large grounds and swimming pool are enough to provide entertainment for an afternoon, while venturing out to the sports complex nearby is a great addition to burn off some energy.
- The lodge grounds are fenced and patrolled, but the grounds are extensive which is worth bearing in mind.
- Power supply notes
- There are multi-plug adaptors in all of the rooms.
- There is good cellphone signal in Arusha. There are phone in all the rooms which can be used to call outside lines (for an extra charge). There is free WiFi for guests to use throughout the lodge.
- TV & radio
- There are TVs in each of the rooms.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Bottled water is supplied for drinking. Bathroom facilities are all plumbed in.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a first aid kit on site for minor injuries. For more serious issues, the lodge is about 15-20 minutes drive from Arusha where there is medical care available.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The lodge is within a gated compound and there is 24-hour security personnel.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in the rooms.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A full laundry service is available but only if you're staying more than one night.
- There is a safe in each room.
- Accepted payment on location
- Mastercard, Visa, Amex are all accepted (5% surcharge), as is cash (US dollars, Tanzanian shillings, euros, and pound sterling).
Other lodges in Arusha
Alternative places to stay in this same area.