Dead Valley Lodge: Our full report
Dead Valley Lodge opened on the 1st of July 2019.The lodge is situated inside the Namib-Naukluft Park, in-between Sesriem and Elim Dune. We understand it’s a good value mid-range lodge and an excellent base from which to visit the famous dunes and pans of Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei.
We are still collecting information and have not yet visited but here is a little of what we do know:
Dead Valley Lodge is a new, slightly more luxurious sister property to Sun Karros Daan Viljoen. It has 20 air-conditioned chalets with each one with a panoramic view of the Namib Desert’s massive red sand dunes and rugged mountain ranges. Being inside the park means that guests who stay here are able to access the park 1 hour before sunrise and 1 hour after sunset, making it a great option for photographers.
The mains area consists of a restaurant serving Namibian style dishes, a bar and a swimming pool all of which are designed to make the most of the lodge’s views toward Elim Dune. As you might expect activities focus on morning and afternoon nature drives including trips Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon. This is also a great spot for exploring the dunes on your own.
We are looking forward to visiting Dead Valley Lodge for the first time. It seems like a great new addition to the Sossusvlei area and being inside the park makes it an interesting new prospect.
Country manager: Namibia
- Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2-3 nights
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Photography holidays
- The dunes at Sossusvlei are perhaps Namibia's most iconic and most photographed attraction. Death Valley Lodge is one of only two lodges whose guests are allowed access outside the usual opening times, making it an ideal stop for keen photographers in Namibia.
- See ideas for Photography holidays
- Attitude towards children
- Children of 6 and above are welcome
- Property’s age restrictions
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Fire safety
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- On Request
Other lodges in Namib-Naukluft National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.