Olive Exclusive: Our full report
Overlooking a neighbouring olive grove in the suburb of Klein Windhoek, the officially dubbed Olive Exclusive ...... All-Suite Hotel is more typically known simply as the Olive Exclusive. Only five minutes' drive from the centre of the Namibian capital the hotel boasts just seven individual, luxurious suites, and an equally intimate and contemporary on-site restaurant, The Olive.
Opened in 2011, the Olive Exclusive is perhaps the most luxurious boutique hotel in Windhoek. Its seven suites comprise three Junior Suites and four Premier Suites. Quality finishes blend with natural materials, incorporating an earthy African flavour, while large glass windows and cool screeded floors complement the light and spacious interiors.
Each suite is unique, the décor inspired by Namibia's distinct regions: Benguela, Namib and Otavi for the Junior Suites; Caprivi, Etosha, Erongo and Kunene for the Premier Suites. Illustrative photographs and natural elements drawn from each area are matched with complementary linen and fittings. Well-placed and easily adjustable lighting adds to the ambience.
Broadly speaking, the suites all offer similar amenities, including air conditioning, a gas fireplace, satellite TV, laptop, free WiFi, telephone, well-stocked minibar and a Nespresso coffee machine, plus complimentary sherry and port. Tucked away are winter and summer bathrobes, slippers, blankets, down and hypo-allergic pillows, a digital safe and a hairdryer.
All the bedrooms have a super-king-size bed or twin queen-size beds, and each en-suite bathroom has a large walk-in shower plus a separate toilet. Double basins are mounted on marble bench-tops with an overhanging mirror. A deep free-standing bath, candles, eco-friendly body products, fluffy towels and underfloor heating complete the set-up.
Where the suites differ is primarily in size and view:
- Premier Suites have front-row position on the hillside overlooking the olive grove and valley beyond. Inside they are larger than the others, with a small lounge and dining area, while outside each has its own deck with a private plunge pool. On our stay in April 2019 the pool was a delightfully refreshing way to cool off – though as it was unheated, we didn’t stay in long.
- Junior Suites, while lacking the lounge and pool, still have a small private courtyard with sun loungers, usually in the shade of a tree.
The Olive is open to the public, so guests wishing to eat in are advised to reserve a table, particularly in the busier months of July–October.
As you might expect from such a luxurious property, wellness treatments – from facials to full-body massages – are also available. These are best booked in advance and take place in the privacy of your own suite.
Other facilities include a communal swimming pool and secure off-street parking.
The Olive Exclusive should appeal to travellers looking for a luxurious, personalised stay in Windhoek. Its attractive setting and stylish design make it an extremely comfortable overnight stop to begin or end a Namibia safari, or for a longer relaxing treat. We particularly liked the striking décor highlighting Namibia's regional attractions, and the on-site restaurant makes eating here a real treat.
Country manager: Namibia
- Windhoek, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- The Olive Exclusive is usually used as a one-night stop to recover from or prepare for an international flight. For those looking to indulge for a little longer, two nights here would be a great way to do so.
- The Olive Exclusive is at 22 Promenaden Street in Klein Windhoek, about five minutes' drive from the city centre, 15 minutes from the domestic Eros Airport, or 45 minutes from Windhoek International Airport.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- The food during our most recent stay in April 2019 was delicious and well presented. The Olive restaurant offers lunch and dinner from an à la carte menu that is updated regularly, with an emphasis on seasonal and signature dishes. Private meals can also be served in your suite.
Breakfast offers a wonderful selection. The innovative “table buffet” – a three-tiered tray of continental treats that is brought to your table – is laden with freshly baked mini-pastries, sliced fresh fruit, muesli and yoghurt, homemade bread, cold meats, cheeses and pickles: a welcome fresh take on the usual Namibian breakfast. Hot dishes are prepared to order, with options ranging from scrambled eggs with avocado and crispy bacon or smoked salmon to the particularly delicious shakshuska that we enjoyed on our last visit. And if none of the pre-set choices appeals you can simply order your own selection of cooked items.
Lunch is generally light and may include a chicken Caesar salad, tomato soup with pesto yoghurt; feta, slow-roasted tomato and cucumber salad; and gourmet sandwiches. We enjoyed our delicious and generously filled chicken club and smoked salmon sandwiches. Slightly more substantial options such as burgers, chicken and mushroom crêpe roulade, and pasta dishes are also on the menu.
For dinner the choice is quite extensive. Starters include soup, smoked snoek (fish) paté, hake bites and game carpaccio. The main courses range from game or beef fillet or lamb shoulder to lemon and garlic prawns, fresh linefish or risotto. Desserts feature the likes of apple crumble, dark chocolate fondant and lemon cream.
- The seven stunning suites at Olive Exclusive are all individually themed and beautifully designed. Impressive photographs of African culture and wildlife embellish the walls whilst light floods through the spacious suites. This place is a rarity in Africa: a truly luxurious boutique hotel!
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- The Olive Exclusive welcomes children of any age.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions to stay at the Olive Exclusive.
- Special activities & services
- A babysitting service can be arranged, preferably with advance notice, with prices on request. However, please note that childminders are not qualified or formally trained in childcare.
- A cot and highchair can be provided on request.
- Generally recommended for children
- The suites, especially the Premier Suites, are big enough to accommodate a family of three or even four comfortably. However, the design of the hotel, incorporating raised terraces, steep stairways and an unfenced swimming pool, is not geared towards young children. Furthermore, the hotel has a fairly adult feel to it so families with young children may feel a little out of place here.
- The property is built on a hillside with many levels, including steep steps with no or minimal handrails, and steep drops. Neither the main pool nor the plunge pools in the Premier Suites are fenced. Children must be supervised at all times.
- Power supply notes
- Each suite has a selection of international plug sockets, and a hairdryer is provided.
- Each suite has a telephone, complimentary WiFi access and fixed-line internet with in-room laptop. There is cellphone reception here too.
- TV & radio
- There's a satellite television in every suite with a bouquet of movie, news and radio channels.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- The showers, bathtubs and handbasins are all plumbed in, and there are flushing toilets.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- Medical centres and hospitals are located in town. There is a first-aid kit and qualified first aiders on site.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The Olive Exclusive is fenced, with secure off-street parking and a remote-controlled entrance gate. A security guard is on site 24 hours. The suites are accessed by key card using a monitored software system.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers and smoke detectors are located in each suite, and there are also fire hoses and extinguishers in communal areas, including the gardens.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A full laundry service is available at extra cost. In April 2019, prices were N$10–35 per item. Items handed in before 9.00am are usually returned that evening, depending on the weather.
- There is a digital safe in each suite. No currency-exchange facilities are offered.
- Accepted payment on location
- Mastercard and Visa are accepted. Cash payment may be made in Namibian dollars and South African rand.
Room types at Olive Exclusive
The three Junior Suites at Olive Exclusive are set within their own private courtyards with outdoor seating. Large glass windows and cool screeded floors complement the light and spacious interiors. Each is individually themed around a region of Namibia: Benguela, Namib and Otavi. Descriptive photographs and natural elements unique to each area are matched with complementary linen and fittings. Well placed and easily adjustable lighting adds to the relaxing ambience.
The bedroom is furnished with a super-king-size bed or twin beds, bedside tables, a desk and a small lounge and dining area. You’ll find a range of amenities including satellite TV, air conditioning, gas fireplace, laptop, complimentary Wi-Fi and fixed-line internet, telephone, well-stocked minibar and Nespresso coffee machine. Tucked away are winter and summer bathrobes, slippers, blankets, down and hypo-allergic pillows, a digital safe and a hairdryer.
The en-suite bathroom separates into a large walk-in shower plus a toilet. Double basins are mounted on marble bench-tops with an overhanging mirror. A deep free-standing bath, candles, eco-friendly body products, fluffy towels and under-floor heating complete the set-up.
The Olive Exclusive’s four Premier Suites have front-row position overlooking the olive grove and valley beyond, and tall glass windows make the most of the views. Doors lead to a large deck with a plunge pool, sunloungers and additional seating. High ceilings and cool screeded floors accentuate the spacious, open-plan interior. Adjoining the central bedroom there’s an enormous en-suite bathroom to one side and a lounge and dining area to the other.
The bedroom is furnished with a super-king-size bed or twin beds, bedside tables, vanity table and plenty of cupboard space. Tucked away you’ll find winter and summer bathrobes, slippers, blankets, down and hypo-allergic pillows, a digital safe and a hairdryer. The lounge and dining area is equally well-appointed with comfy seating, coffee table, reading material, desk, laptop, complimentary Wi-Fi and fixed-line internet, telephone, gas fireplace, well-stocked minibar, Nespresso coffee machine, dining table and chairs. Wall-mounted satellite TVs and air conditioners are located in the bedroom and lounge areas.
The en-suite bathroom separates into a large walk-in shower plus a toilet. Double basins are mounted on marble bench-tops with an overhanging mirror. A deep free-standing bath is positioned to enjoy the outside views, and an eco-friendly range of body products, fluffy towels, candles and under-floor heating complete the amenities.
Each suite at Olive Exclusive is individually themed around a region of Namibia: Caprivi, Etosha, Erongo and Kunene. Descriptive photographs and natural elements unique to each area are matched with complementary linen, furniture and fittings. Well-placed and easily adjustable lighting adds to the relaxing ambience.
Other lodges in Windhoek
Alternative places to stay in this same area.