Tanzania: reviews from our travellers
Origainal reviews written by our most recent travellers to Tanzania
"Our Jan 2023 trip"
"Green Season Safaris in Tanzania"
As usual they were very professional, efficient and helpful ( even down to helping us get our luggage stored in Zanzibar!).
Basically nothing was too much trouble.
This was our first safari in the Green season and, as expected, we did not see as much wildlife as we have done previously but this did not detract from our enjoyment and it was worthwhile in order to see the parks in leaf.
A very enjoyable trip." Read full review: 8 nights in Africa; 8 on a Tanzania safari
"My Nov/Dec 2022 trip"
This was our second trip organized by Expert Africa. The first was a short three-day outing in 2019 to Zanzibar planned as a side trip while we were in Kenya on a work trip. We chose Expert Africa to help us plan this longer two-week visit because we were so pleased with the quality of our trip to Zanzibar.
Needless to say, we are even more impressed by Expert Africa after this trip. Everything was outstanding: the advice that we received from Maruska during our planning of the trip, including the pros and cons of selecting either Botswana or Tanzania as our destination; the materials that we received - very detailed and helpful annotated itineraries, information to help us navigate Covid-related health requirements, a helpful guide to travelling in Tanzania; alternative choices of places to visit and camps for lodging; and high quality vendors for all of the services provided.
All five lodges/camps were located in beautiful places, were incredibly comfortable, provided outstanding service, and had plentiful, excellent, healthy food (we never left a meal wanting for more). And the guides that accompanied us in every place were very personable, likable, and knowledgeable people from whom we learned much about the countries and local flora and fauna. Finally, the ancillary activities - a visit to a local Maasai village and a long walk from our lodge to the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater - were interesting, informative, and fun, with the added benefit of providing exercise after long days of riding in safari vehicles.
We hope that we will make further trips to East Africa in the next few years before we lose the ability for long-distance travel (we are both in our 70s). One of our hopes is that we can take our two adult children and grandchild to see the incredible country-sides and wildlife in East Africa whenever we can make the schedules work for such a trip. We will definitely ask Expert Africa to help us plan any future trip whenever we are ready to do so.
We also would like to express our deep appreciation for the invaluable, outstanding assistance that Maruska Adye-Rowe provided to us during the planning of this trip. The choices that she provided for places to visit and stay and things to do, always giving us the final choice, and the vendors she selected made our incredible experience possible.
I am sure that you already know what it is like to work with Maruska. In addition to the summary feedback on Maruska's performance that the form requests below, we would like to provide a more detailed client's perspective on how easy, helpful, efficient, and effective she is to work with. I hope that you will not mind the detail of what follows:
- Maruska and I had 2 lengthy phone calls at the outset to discuss what our (my wife and I) objectives for our 10-day safari.
- Our first call focused on what we would like to see (wildlife in interesting places in either Botswana or Tanzania) and the types of places we would like to stay in (high-end luxury, middle-of-the range, etc.) She then sent us a lengthy email comparing safari options in Botswana and Tanzania and suggesting possible lodging options in each place.
- Based on this very helpful information, my wife and I chose Tanzania as our destination, with a focus on the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti and selected a few of the alternative lodges that she suggested (one on the crater rim, the other in the Serengeti)
- We then scheduled a second lengthy call to flesh out the itinerary (she suggested adding a safari in Lake Manyara on the way to the crater and suggested two other places to stay before we arrived at the crater)
- Maruska was fun to speak with. I enjoyed our conversations. She was very informative and, most importantly to me, listened carefully to what we wanted, provided very helpful answers to my questions, and made very helpful suggestions
- We then exchanged many emails (I counted at least 13 sent by me) in which I posed many questions and asked for greater detail on: the places we would visit, the lodges where we would stay, the activities that we could do, the logistics of the travel, the best time to depart and return to Kenya, etc.
- Maruska was incredibly prompt with her replies to my emails which provided very thorough answers to my seemingly endless questions (one of my unfortunate characteristics)
- She also was very adaptive when I suggested something that she had not included in the itinerary. Here are two examples:
- I indicated that we would like to add a visit Olduvai Gorge as a side activity during our stay on the Ngorongoro Crater and she adjusted the itinerary so that we could do that without having to eliminate one of the other activities that we already had planned.
- When I realized that we would have 2 extra days in Kenya before we were scheduled to join the group that we were meeting there, I asked Maruska if she could help us plan a 2-day visit to one of the soda lakes that I had last visited more than 20 years ago. She consulted with colleagues who were Kenya experts and recommended 2 options for lakes to visit. Once I chose Lake Nakuru, she identified two alternative lodges in different locations and different price ranges. We had a wonderful experience viewing land-based and aquatic wildlife at the lake and loved the lodge that we selected from her options.
- Maruska also was very helpful in other important ways:
- providing helpful resources on how to obtain reliable health and travel insurance
- notifying me that Kenya Air had changed our flight time to Tanzania without notifying me, which required some adjustment to our itinerary
- helping me navigate the Covid-related health requirements to enter Tanzania
- helping me to navigate Expert Africa's web site when it would not let me log in or accept my deposit for the trip. I had to provide my credit card information to her over the phone
- preparing and sending the detailed annotated itinerary, including all of the helpful information on visas, health information, luggage weight limits on the internal flights, the need to avoid older USD notes, and arranging the 2 internal flights
In short, Maruska helped us plan a fabulous trip and was a pleasure to work with. As noted below, I would recommend her very highly to my friends and would be delighted to work with her again in planning future trips." Read full review: 23 nights in Africa; 8 on a Tanzania safari
"My Oct 2022 trip"
Tanzania was again a great experience, Be Ho Be Ho being the highlight but it was good to see the contrast between southern and northern Tanzania. Southern Tanzania being remote africa, northern being busy, plenty of townships and easy game viewing.
Seychelles, pleased we went but a one off experience, it lacks a distinct culture and just seems to be a series of holiday resorts but the highlight was Denis Island." Read full review: 31 nights in Africa; 16 on a Tanzania safari
"My Oct 2022 trip"
"My Oct 2022 trip"
We enjoyed all of the recommended accommodation and wouldn’t have made any changes to the itinerary.
Both Selous and Ruaha are remote and quiet parks to visit and point camps were small and exclusive. The short flights and transfers were all seamless.
We recommended Expert Africa to other guests that we met at Kichaka who had been unhappy with their own agent.
Good idea to give us business cards to hand out!" Read full review: 17 nights in Africa; 11 on a Tanzania safari
"My Oct 2022 trip"
The guides were very knowledgeable and were keen to ensure we saw as much wildlife as possible." Read full review: 7 nights in Africa; 6 on a Tanzania safari
"My Oct 2022 trip"
Thank you to the team for their understanding and helping to handle the logistics during the pandemic and ever evolving red lists, etc... Always excellent service from Expert Africa!" Read full review: 13 nights in Africa; 12 on a Tanzania safari
"My Oct 2022 trip"
Maruska was a pleasure to work with and had great recommendations to create a customized itinerary. She was very knowledgeable about each camp, park, and area we would be visiting. Our trip would not have been as enjoyable without her recommendations.
The website was very easy to use and we enjoyed the animal sightings tracker to help us determine which camps and areas had the best wildlife.
Thanks Maruska and Expert Africa!" Read full review: 13 nights in Africa; 8 on a Tanzania safari
"My Sep 2022 trip"
Aided by Expert Africa again, we stuck to what we knew had worked. All the camps continued to be oustanding and the wildlife experience was once again wonderful yet completely different than last time.
We fell in love with Tanzania the first time, and we love it even more now.
Suggestions to help us improve our trips or our service:
Absolutely not, its been amazing from the outset, and even through the Covid nightmare you managed to keep us up beat and informed.
The only sadness this trip was the relocation of Olakira away from the river which was enforced by local authorities apparently. A great shame because the game experience and game drives were decidely poorer for the extra driving and diversions away from some riverside areas that this relocation requires. Can't be helped and of course if we'd not been there in 2017, we'd have no comparison.
We were only disappointed by the quality of the wine offered with meals. It really was at best average.. We had been spoiled by having Stellenbosch wines in 2017! And we do appreciate that economies may be necessary after the Covid pandemic." Read full review: 18 nights in Africa; 11 on a Tanzania safari