Camelthorn: Information from the owner
- Safari Lodge
- No. of rooms
About this information
All the information on this page is supplied to us directly from the lodge owner and reflects their view, not ours.
For Expert Africa's view, see our own full report on Camelthorn, which contains our own observations and views.
- Last updated by Owner
- 1 Apr 2020
Facilities at Camelthorn
- Property facilities
- Bar, Barbeque Facilities, Internet Access (Complimentary), Laundry Service (Complimentary), Malaria Free, Mobile Connectivity, Spa
- Room facilities
- Balcony / Deck, Bath, Dressing Gowns, Electrical Outlets, En-Suite, Fan, Fireplace, Fridge, Hair Dryer, Laundry Service (Complimentary), Lounge Area, Mini Bar, Mini Bar (Complimentary), Mosquito Nets, Pure Cotton Linen, Safe, Shower, Tea / Coffee, Verandah
- Activities on site
- Bird Watching, Game Drives, Game Viewing, Game Walks, Horse Riding, Horse-back Safaris, Safaris, Walks (Guided)
- Nearby activities
- Bird Watching, Cultural Tours, Cycling, Game Drives, Game Viewing, Game Walks, Mountain Biking
Room types at Camelthorn
Forest Villa - Double Room
Large bedroom with overhead fans and fireplace, large glass sliding doors, mini bar and en-suite lounge, with a king-sized bed, en-suite bathroom with bath in front of picture window, shower, double basin and toilet, outdoor maisonette via spiral stairway provides an outdoor deck/roof with hammocks ideal for a siesta, private dining or a night ‘under the stars’
Forest Villa - Twin Room
Large bedroom with overhead fans and fireplace, large glass sliding doors, mini bar and en-suite lounge, 2 double beds, en-suite bathroom with bath in front of picture window, shower, double basin and toilet, outdoor maisonette via spiral stairway provides an outdoor deck/roof with hammocks ideal for a siesta, private dining or a night ‘under the stars’
Activities at Camelthorn
Daily Horse Rides
The open grasslands and forest groves of the Ngamo Plains around Camelthorn and Bomani Lodges are among the most scenic areas of Hwange, as well as being home to a variety of wildlife, big and small. The landscape changes dramatically between the cooler dry winters and warm humid summers.
This special scenery is ideal for horse-riding and several activity options have been designed for riders of different experience levels. We have a weight restriction of 90kgs and do not allow children under 16 years of age (children 7 years and above are permitted on the Beginner Bush Experience).
All rides are led by our experienced, qualified guides and trackers. The pace is determined by safety and terrain and is mostly fast walking and trotting. Where possible in open areas we will canter and gallop. We look at our riders’ experience and tailor the pace accordingly.
Typically between 2 and 4 guests can join an activity; breaks with refreshments are carefully planned to rest both horse and rider. We offer 1 ride for beginners and 4 rides for intermediate to advanced riders:-
Beginner Bush experience: 1 hour excursion for beginners and novice riders (Children 7 years and above allowed) - RACK $70 per person
Hippo Sunrise: 3 hour excursion for experienced riders - RACK $105 per person
Cultural immersion ride: 5 ½ hour excursion for intermediate riders to a local village to meet the people and experience their daily life - RACK $135 per person
Sundowner ride: 2 hour excursion for intermediate riders - RACK $95 per person
Full day safari ride: 8 hour excursion for experienced riders - RACK $160 per person.
• Traditional open safari vehicles driven by licensed experienced guides
• Morning game drives with tea, coffee and biscuits and afternoon drives with drinks and cooked
• Land cruisers seat up to 9 guests and Land Rovers seat up to 7 guests
• Conducted by a fully licensed and highly experienced professional guide
• Usually undertaken in the mornings
• Ideal for photography of big game on foot
• Night drives within the lodge estate to view the array of wildlife particularly nocturnal creatures is
• Usually undertaken upon return from the afternoon activity or alternatively after supper, particularly
when lion are heard calling nearby
Pop Up Spa
Imvelo’s ethos is to enrich the lives of those who live around us as well as our guests. As such, we have a strong link with communities around the lodges and our spa treatments fall in line with our proud tradition of empowering the community through providing jobs in tourism as our beauty therapists have been hand-picked from the surrounding community area.
Our therapists were then trained locally to provide you authentic Zimbabwean treatments in the most spectacular settings! We encourage you to enjoy one of these treatments during your stay with us, as you will not only experience some true pampering in the African bush, but you will also be further giving back to our local community.
Spa treatments are available at your private villa on the maisonette level, overlooking the unspoilt acacia woodlands or a destination treatment can be arranged in the Camelthorn concession, close to the lodge, enjoying the sights and sounds of nature.
(Destinations available will vary, depending on seasonality, amount of guests in camp and time of day the treatment is requested.
Please discuss this with management the day before the treatment is requested and they will do their best to ensure something special is arranged.)
"Imvelo's Ikhanda Massage"
A rejuvenating head massage in the tranquil surroundings of the African bush relieving your mind of stress in Natures Company.
20 minutes - RACK $20
"Imvelo's Unyawo Massage"
Put your feet up and relax with a picturesque view as you get treated to a foot massage with the sights and sounds of nature at your feet.
30 minutes - RACK $30
"Imvelo's Ihlombe & Intamo Massage"
Shoulder & neck massage
Focused on your areas of stress, unwind and close your eyes as nature treats you to a relaxing shoulder and neck massage.
30 minutes - RACK $30
"Imvelo's Ubuhle Manicure or Pedicure"
Basic manicure or pedicure
With beauty in mind pamper and treat yourself with the sounds of nature in the backgrounds as you unwind on your holiday in Zimbabwe.
40 minutes - RACK $30.
• Imvelo Safari Lodges operates 8 waterholes for the wildlife within this area of the park, the furthest
of which is 55 km into the Park
• A popular activity is to take an all day trip into the park to visit the waterholes and drop fuel and oil
for the motors, and rations and supplies for the pump attendants.
• A picnic lunch is then enjoyed near one of the waterholes before taking an afternoon game drive
back to the lodge
School Tours and Village Visits
• Within the neighboring villages of Tsholothso 15 minutes drive from the lodge, our guests have the
opportunity to enjoy a real life look at village life in rural Matabeleland
• A fascinating experience of a variety of typical daily village activities is followed by a tour of one of
the nearby schools conducted by the Headmaster where guests are given the opportunity to hear
traditional songs sung by the children and enjoy a ‘class interaction’.
• A feature of Camelthorn is the 6m long underground blind with en-suite flush toilet
• Strategically positioned in the shade of a Leadwood tree, disguised as an antheap and aligned to
take advantage of both the sunsets and the evening light at elephant toe level - this blind will have
novices taking National Geographic pictures!
Other lodges in Hwange National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.