Southern Sun Dar: Our full report
The Southern Sun is located in Dar es Salaam's town centre, making it very convenient for those who only ...... have a short stay in the city. With an outdoor pool, restaurant, fitness centre and variety of other facilities, it is a pleasant and good value hotel.
Southern Sun is suitably situated in the commercial capital of Tanzania. With vast gardens, full of flora and fauna at its backdrop, the hotel offers its guest space and relaxation. The hotel includes an outdoor pool, restaurant and fitness centre amongst other facilities by which the guests can occupy themselves.
Southern Sun has 152 comfortable rooms. Each is lightly decorated, and offers peace and calm away from the non-stop capital. All the rooms are spacious and include an en suite bathroom.
The 10 Executive rooms have a work desk and en-suite bathroom with bath and shower. These rooms are fitted with air-conditioning, complimentary WiFi, television with DStv, fully stocked mini-bar on request and other amenities that add to your comfort.
The 140 Standard rooms have an en-suite bathroom with bath and shower, as well as scenic views. All rooms are equipped with air-conditioning, work desk, complimentary WiFi, television with DStv, tea and coffee making facilities, a USB charging point, hair dryer and mineral water to add to your comfort.
The two Suites have a lounge area, work station and en-suite bathrooms with scenic shower. In-room comforts include television with DStv and DVD player, comfortable seating, fully stocked mini-bar, tea and coffee making facilities and other amenities that enhance your stay.
The Baraza Bar is open for light lunches and evening meals. Here they serve an al a carte menu featuring a range of international dishes including pastas, steaks and fresh seafood.
Southern Sun is a large property that offers numerous services and facilities by which the guests can keep themselves occupied. Guests can relax in the outdoor pool or enjoy the onsite gym. Nearby facilities include restaurants, squash and tennis courts and a golf club.
Southern Sun is a large hotel in the centre of Dar es Salaam. It is designed for comfort, allowing for rest and relaxation away from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. The hotel's pretty gardens, full of fauna and flora, and are worth exploring.
Country manager: Tanzania
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- The Southern Sun is roughly 40 mins drive from the airport, depending on the time of day, and the traffic this can vary.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Food quality
- Breakfast is served in the dining room and is available from 4am to 10am. It is normally served as a buffet and consists of good selection of cereals, fruits, sliced meats as well as an English breakfast.
Lunch and dinner are served in the Baraza Bar and the al a carte menu features a range of international dishes.
- Attitude towards children
- The Southern Sun welcomes children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Some rooms have sofa beds so a child can share room with parents.
- Generally recommended for children
- The Southern Sun is fine for children, however please note that some rooms have balconies, and are not recommended for children under the age of six.
- There is good mobile reception and there are also phones in all the rooms. Free Wi-fi is also available throughout the hotel.
- TV & radio
- All rooms come with DStv.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Fully plumbed.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The Southern Sun has a onsite nurse and the hotel is within easy reach of several international hospitals in Dar es Salaam.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The Southern Sun has 24 hour security in place at the main gate.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers in all communal areas and corridors around the hotel. Staff have received fire training.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is at an extra charge, on our last visit this was around $6 per item
- The Southern Sun will happily exchange small amounts of US dollars, pounds and euros. There are electronic safes in all rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- They accept cash payments in US dollars, pounds, euros and Tanzanian shillings. All major credit and debit cards are accepted although there will be a surcharge of around 5%.
Other lodges in Dar es Salaam
Alternative places to stay in this same area.