Kalahari Arms Hotel: Our full report
The Kalahari Arms Hotel offers a basic overnight stop for travellers taking the Trans-Kalahari Highway between ...... Windhoek in Namibia and Maun, or elsewhere, in Botswana. It’s a simple hotel in the small outpost town of Ghanzi that offers a comfortable night’s stay in an area where there is relatively little by way of accommodation choices.
The small town of Ghanzi is located in Botswana’s fairly unpopulated west. An administrative centre to the surrounding ranching and village communities, Ghanzi has two banks, a supermarket, petrol station and selection of small shops.
Situated in town, the Kalahari Arms Hotel offers basic rooms either in the main hotel building or in round chalets known as rondavels in the grounds. All the rooms are en-suite with air-conditioning, satellite TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The hotel also has a campsite.
The hotel’s restaurant offers a menu of basic but good meals. Outside, a small garden area has a thatched lapa under which guests can enjoy a drink from the bar. A large swimming pool in the grounds is good for cooling off, but not for lounging around, as there is no poolside area and chalets surround it. A small playground is set up for young children and there’s a bbq area.
We'd generally encourage travellers passing through this area to spend a couple of nights enjoying Edo's Camp as a destination. However, for those who don't have the time, or perhaps the budget, the Kalahari Arms Hotel is a convenient and simple overnight break on what is usually a long drive. In addition the facilities available in Ghanzi allow you to stock up on provisions, fill up with fuel and pick up some local currency as required.
Country manager: Botswana
- Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Botswana
- Ideal length of stay
- The Kalahari Arms Hotel is best for a quick overnight stay to break up a long drive between Windhoek and your destination in Botswana.
- The Kalahari Arms Hotel is approximately 200km from the Namibian border to the west and 300km from Maun to the northeast.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Bed & Breakfast
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor Dining
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at the Kalahari Arms Hotel.
- Triple and family-sized rooms are available.
- You will get cell phone reception in Ghanzi and the hotel has a phone available for use on request. The town has a small internet cafe.
- TV & radio
- Each room has a TV and the choice of satellite channels.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a hospital in Ghanzi.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
Other lodges in Central Kalahari Game Reserve
Alternative places to stay in this same area.