Safari House: Our full report
Set within the wildlife-rich Etosha Heights Reserve, Safari House is a fully renovated traditional Namibian farmhouse.The house is one of the few genuinely family-friendly safari properties in Namibia but would also work well for a small group looking for a bit of privacy and luxury.
Although we have stayed on the Etosha Heights Reserve, the Safari House was not complete on our visit so we haven’t seen it yet. However, here is what we know:
Safari House shares the Etosha Heights reserve with the nearby Safarihoek Lodge and Mountain Lodge, however as the reserve covers over 600km² there is little chance of overcrowding even when all the properties are full.
With three en-suite air-conditioned bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, private chef and private vehicle/guide, Safari House is perfectly suited for families or a group of friends travelling together. For families with younger children, two of the rooms have an interleading door.
Above the kitchen, the main area consists of an indoor lounge and dining area which opens up to an outdoor deck and private swimming pool nestled within a manicured garden.
Activities here focus on morning and afternoon game drives within the reserve. (NB: due to the location of the property it isn’t currently possible to visit Etosha; it is simply too far.) On top of the usual game drives, night drives, bush walks and trips to the photographic hide (shared with Safarihoek) are also on offer. All activities are included in your stay and the private vehicle and guide allow highly tailored and flexible activities.
For a family or friends travelling together we would expect Safari House to be a fantastic option. The private chef and guide will allow for high levels of flexibility and exclusivity throughout a stay here. We have long known the team behind the lodge and would expect them to deliver very high standards.
Country manager: Namibia
- Etosha National Park, Namibia
- Safari House is on the Etosha Heights Reserve, approximately 70km west of the Andersson Gate to Etosha.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- Safari House offers a private chef. The house should be informed about special dietary requirements prior to arrival. Based on the quality of the food elsewhere in the reserve we would expect great things here.
- Family holidays
- Like the adjacent Safarihoek, Safari House offers discounted child rates up to the age of 18. However, staying in this fenced, exclusive-use, private house allows families more freedom, with flexible activities and mealtimes – perfect for a Namibia trip with the family.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Private villas & houses
- Safari House offers an exclusive stay on the impressive Etosha Heights Reserve for up to six people. Supplied with a chef and a private vehicle and guide for activities, guests staying here have the ultimate flexibility on a Namibian safari.
- See ideas for Private villas & houses
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Property’s age restrictions
- The house and garden is fully fenced.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Safari House
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Safari House have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- The house has a generator for back up.
There are charging facilities where guests can charge their batteries.
- There is a cellphone signal everywhere in the house as well as unlimited WiFi, which can be used for a donation of N$50 to the anti-poaching programme the reserve takes part in.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- All the en-suite bathrooms have hot and cold running water and flush toilets. Note, though, that water is heated by a solar geyser so isn’t endless, especially early in the morning.
Health & safety
- Medical care
- The managers and guides are trained in first aid. The nearest doctor is in Outjo. In a medical emergency, a traveller would be flown during daylight hours to Windhoek.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- The house is in a remote part of the Etosha Heights Reserve, which is fenced, and there are security guards at the gate. An air horn is provided in each chalet to attract attention in case of emergency.
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry services are included.
Other lodges in Etosha National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.