Nyamatusi Mahogany: Our full report
Located in in the Zambezi Valley within Zimbabwe’s Mana Pools National Park, Nyamatusi Mahogany camp is a ...... laid-back, family-orientated tented camp. With two family rooms and no age restrictions, it is perhaps the first truly family-friendly option within the park for those with younger children.
When we visited the site of Nyamatusi Mahogany and its sister property Nyamatusi Camp in October 2018, the camps were little more than a few decks and piles of building materials. However, even at that stage it was clear that there was a lot of thought and attention to detail going into their construction.
Completed in mid 2019, the two camps back onto each other in the same way that their sister properties Somalisa Camp and Somalisa Acacia do in Hwange National Park. As with the Somalisas, the two Nyamatusi camps are nearly identical in terms of construction, style and location, and if you were to walk between them you could be forgiven for thinking they were the same property. In fact, depending on bookings, the boundary between the two camps can be altered, increasing and decreasing the size of the camps to accommodate larger or smaller bookings.
Despite the flexibility and proximity, both camps are run completely separately, each with its own kitchen, main area, camp managers and guides. The main difference is in the atmosphere, with Nyamatusi Mahogany being much more welcoming to families, especially those with younger children.
Nyamatusi Mahogany has four rooms:
- Two standard suites are identical to those at the main camp. Each has a private plunge pool, large twin beds, or a double, under a mosquito net, air conditioning, minibar and small lounge area. Bi-fold doors at the front of the suites open up onto a deck overlooking the bush to the river and escarpment beyond. To the back of the suite is a large en-suite bathroom with indoor and outdoor showers, a bathtub, twin basins and a flush toilet.
- The two family suites are formed from two en-suite tents linked by a short corridor. The master bedroom is the same as in the standard double suites, with all the same features. The second bedroom, which is made up as a twin, is a little smaller and has no outdoor shower. These family tents are the closest to the main area, too, so that guests and their children don’t need to walk far through the bush.
Activities from camp include the usual range of game drives, walking safaris (not for under 16s) and canoe trips. However, for younger children the camp also offers their Ngwana Club, with specialist children’s guides who include nature walks close to camp, cooking classes, traditional storytelling, and arts and craft/beading. The range of activities here should allow for a much more flexible family safari experience than anywhere else in the park.
We have known the team behind Nyamatusi Mahogany for many years and while we have yet to experience the camp, we have every confidence that it will be well-run with great guiding and a welcoming atmosphere. Furthermore, with a range of child-friendly activities and no age restrictions we are sure it will be hard to beat for a family-friendly safari in Mana Pools.
Country manager: Zimbabwe
- Mana Pools National Park, Zimbabwe
- Ideal length of stay
- We’d recommend a minimum of three nights here as a stand-alone stay, or two if combining it with another property in Mana Pools.
- Guests staying at Nyamatusi Mahogany will generally fly to Mana Main airstrip before transferring through the park to the camp.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- We have not had the opportunity to sample the food at Nyamatusi yet but we would expect the same high standards here as at other properties in the African Bush Camps’ portfolio.
- Family holidays
- With no age limit and child-friendly activities, Nyamatusi Mahogany is one of Zimbabwe's most family-friendly camps. For a family safari in a remote wildlife area with a relaxed atmosphere and more than a touch of luxury, it would be hard to beat.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Private villas & houses
- Designed as a standalone satellite camp to the adjacent Nayamatusi Camp, Mahogany is totally self-sufficient with separate guides and staff. It is a great choice for families or groups looking for some privacy and flexibility.
- See ideas for Private villas & houses
- Looking to spoil yourself and your family while enjoying a world-class safari? Look no further than Nyamatusi Mahogany. Set on the Zimbabwean bank of the mighty Zambezi River, the camp effortlessly combines great guiding and prolific wildlife with touches of opulence for a truly luxurious stay.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcomed.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- The Ngwana Club, with specialist children’s guides offers child focused nature walks close to camp, cooking classes, traditional storytelling, and arts and craft/beading. So, there is plenty to keep younger family members entertained.
- Highchairs and cots can be provided with advanced notice.
- Generally recommended for children
- Nyamatusi Mahogany is one of the only camps in Mana Pools National Park to cater specifically towards families and is one of the best options for children in the park. Although they don't have any specific age limit, activities are focused on safari, and there is often large game within close proximity. Because of this we would only recommend the camp for children over the age of seven.
- Nyamatusi Mahogany is an open safari camp, deep in the bush, with dangerous animals often passing through. In addition, the camp’s swimming pool is unfenced and unguarded. As such children must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Nyamatusi Mahogany
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Nyamatusi Mahogany have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Water supply
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The management and guides at Nyamatusi are first-aid trained. In an emergency, medical evacuation by air would be arranged to Harare.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- On Request
Other lodges in Mana Pools National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.