Wolwedans Plains Camp: Our full report
Built in a dune valley of the Namib Desert, within the vast NamibRand Nature Reserve, Wolwedans Plains Camp ...... is only ever booked exclusively by one couple, family or small group at a time. It aims to offer a home away from home and privacy – and some might argue that it's the ultimate Namibian desert get-away.
Formerly known as Wolwedans Private Camp, Plains Camp is similar in design to the other Wolwedans properties, Wolwedans Dune Camp, Wolwedans Boulders Camp and Wolwedans Desert Lodge.
The villa sleeps six guests in three en-suite bedrooms, with twin or double beds. If your party is bigger, or perhaps there are one or two children in the group, the Plains Camp's 'sala' can be converted into a makeshift bedroom, although this is slightly separate from the rest of the camp's buildings, and is not en-suite.
The design is open plan and the décor similar in style to the other Wolwedans properties, with antique furniture, old leather-bound books on the shelves and canvas sides that can be rolled up to allow uninterrupted views of the deep-orange sands. The villa's huge lounge is filled with sofas and comfortable chairs and leads out onto open decks with more seating for admiring the scenery. Slightly further from the main area is the 'sala' – a separate area with a large day bed and a great view, perfect for an afternoon siesta.The fully equipped kitchen is stocked with high-quality food and provisions catering for all dietary requirements, and if you don’t feel like cooking Wolwedans can provide you with your own private chef. As this is a private camp, there are no staff on site, but if you need anything help is just a radio call away.
A small plunge pool, overlooks the camp's small but prolific waterhole and is ideal for a cooling dip in the heat of the day. For those looking to swim lengths it is possible to arrange a vehicle for the 20–30-minute drive to Dunes Lodge, to use their pool.
Activities at the Plains Camp, as at the other Wolwedans camps, include guided scenic drives and nature walks to explore this vast reserve. These can be enjoyed either with your own private guide (at an extra charge for smaller groups of less than six, or families with young children), or together with guests at the other camps. Hot-air ballooning and scenic flights can also be arranged; ask our team for prices if these interest you.
Wolwedans Plains Camp offers the luxury of space, peace and privacy, all in a stunning setting and with very comfortable accommodation. For a family or small group of friends looking to 'get away from it all', this is a camp that should be high on your list.
Country manager: Namibia
- NamibRand Nature Reserve, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Two or three nights will allow you to make the most of the activities on offer and enjoy the stunning desert scenery. The camp also requests that guests stay for a minimum of two nights.
- Wolwedans Plains Camp is located on the NamibRand Nature Reserve, which has its entrance on the C27, south of Sesriem. From the gate, it’s 20km to the reception farmhouse, where guests leave their vehicles. After checking in it's a short drive to the camp. Those arriving by air will be met at the airstrip, which is about a 20-minute drive from camp.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- We haven't dined at Plains Camp on our visits here. However, the stocked kitchen will usually include fresh greens and veggies from Wolwedans' organic garden at their base camp. For those opting to cook for themselves, meals and mealtimes can of course be really flexible – and you have the option of a private chef if you prefer not to cook.
- Dining style
- Group Meals
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Drinks included
- House wines, soft drinks, local beers and spirits are included in the rate, but premium spirits, champagne, imported wines and premium brands are at extra cost.
- Family holidays
- Set in a valley of the Namib Desert, the spacious, comfortable wooden villa of Wolwedans Plains Camp can sleep a family of six. Come here with children of all ages for scenic drives and walks during your Namibia family holiday.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- For extra privacy, honeymooners can book Wolwedans Plains Camp for just themselves. The beautiful NamibRand desert landscapes combine with comfort and unobtrusive service to create a romantic hideaway, a stunning setting for your Namibia honeymoon.
- See ideas for Honeymoons
- Private villas & houses
- Relax and enjoy scenic drives and walks in Wolwedans Plains Camp in the Namib Desert. With your own private chef and private guide - on request - you can enjoy exclusive private holidays in Namibia for a family or group of up to four people.
- See ideas for Private villas & houses
- Wolwedans Plains Camp is a sumptuous three-bedroom villa for exclusive use. A private chef and guide can be arranged to take care of your individual needs. This villa is ideal for those who want to spend a few days in pure private luxury.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Plains Camp, as your party will be the only ones staying here. However, because of age limits on activities at the other Wolwedans camps, families will not be able to join in shared activities. Hence the need to book private activities, at extra cost.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- There are no special activities for children, but childminding can be arranged. Parents should be aware that childminders are not professionally trained or qualified.
- Generally recommended for children
- We think the camp could be a great option for children, and their parents, who have an interest in nature. Its isolated and remote location also means that the whole family can really let their hair down, without worrying about disturbing other guests.
- There are some dangerous game species present in the area, even if their densities in the Namib Desert are much lower than in many more conventional 'safari' areas. If using the pool at Dunes Lodge, parents should note that it is not fenced and there are steep drops from the deck. Children should remain under the supervision of their parents at all times.
- Power supply notes
- There are plug points for charging camera batteries. Don't forget to bring a suitable adaptor.
- There is no cellphone reception, telephones or internet at Plains Camp. There is a telephone and WiFi available at the main reception building.
- TV & radio
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- The showers in the three bathrooms are plumbed in, and each has a flushing toilet.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The closest doctor is in the town of Mariental. In a medical emergency, guests would be evacuated by air to a hospital in Windhoek.
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- Wolwedans Plains Camp is protected by its remote location, torches are provided at night.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are placed around the villa.
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- A full laundry service is available at an extra charge.
- The camp does not offer a currency-exchange facility.
- Accepted payment on location
- Cash (Namibian dollars and South African rands), as well as Visa and MasterCard, are accepted at Wolwedans.
Other lodges in NamibRand Nature Reserve
Alternative places to stay in this same area.