Chobe Savanna Lodge: Our full report
Situated in the eastern Caprivi, on the northern bank of the Chobe River, Chobe Savanna Lodge overlooks the ...... floodplains of Chobe National Park's Puku Flats. Its riverside location is ideal for boat trips, fishing trips, cultural visits, birding and watching large herds of elephant and buffalo in the dry season (Jun-Oct).
Run by a company whose other properties include Chobe Game Lodge (just a short distance down river, on the Botswana side), Savute Safari Lodge and Leroo La Tau in the Makgadikgadi Pans, amongst others.
Spaced out along the banks of the Chobe river, it’s 13 thirteen thatched chalets, are linked by brick pathways to the main area. All are spread out within attractive gardens and extensive lawns and have a private deck with a river view across to Chobe National Park, making for very relaxing game viewing even when not on game drives.
The classic timber-and-thatch roofed, brick walled chalets, have a tastefully furnished open-plan lounge and bedroom area with polished wood floor and animal skin rugs, and an en-suite bathroom. The décor follows a contemporary African theme, coupled with crisp, white bed linen.
Taking centre stage and facing out towards large, glass sliding double doors and picture windows to the river, are the twin or double beds with mosquito net, and bedside tables with reading lamps. Sharing the beautiful view are a couple of chairs and a small table positioned in front of the bed, and off to the side is a reading desk with a tea and coffee station. As well as ceiling fans, the chalets also have air conditioning, whilst other room amenities include multi plug adaptors, a hairdryer, torch, a safe and a respectably stocked, complementary mini-bar. Outside, through the sliding doors is a small, shaded veranda with a couple of directors’ chairs to relax in.
Off the side of the bedroom the fully tiled, en suite bathroom has twin basins, flush toilet and a shower with toiletries, as well as a bathrobe.
One of the chalets is designed for families and has the addition of an extra twin bedroom for children, with both rooms sharing one bathroom.
Possible activities at Chobe Savanna Lodge include game viewing from a motorised boat, seasonal fishing trips for bream or tiger fish on a catch-and-release basis, cultural visits to a local community, specialist birding trips and seasonal guided nature walks along the floodplain.
Although we have not stayed at Chobe Savanna Lodge, we liked what we saw on our visit in June 2018. Overlooking the Chobe National Park, activities are firmly focused on the water. While this offers a change of pace from the usual safari activities, in the wet season the parks herds of elephant and buffalo disperse making game viewing more challenging. If wildlife watching is your priority, consider combining Chobe Savanna Lodge with a camp on the Botswana side.
- Caprivi Strip, Namibia
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Food quality
- A light continental breakfast is served between 05:30 and 06:00 before guests head out on their first activity for the day.
Brunch is served back at the lodge between 11:00 and 11:30.
Afternoon tea is served between 15:00 and 15:30 before the afternoon activity commences.
Dinner is served between 19:30 and 20:00
- Family holidays
- With three family chalets and a pool, Chobe Savanna Lodge makes a great stop on a family safari in Namibia.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Attitude towards children
- Children of all ages are welcome at Chobe Savanna Lodge.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Families with children younger than six years of age must book private activities. (subject to availability)
- Special activities & services
- Generally recommended for children
- Chobe Savanna Lodge is a good option for families with children.
- Children must be under their parents or guardians supervision at all times.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Chobe Savanna Lodge
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Chobe Savanna Lodge have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- Chobe Savanna Lodge has a backup generator which automatically kicks in when there is a power outage.
- The lodge has no telephone communications, however there is a satellite phone as well as radio communications for emergencies only.
There is no WiFi but there is a communal laptop with basic internet connectivity for guest use.
- TV & radio
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Reverse osmosis water treatment plant supplies all drinking water. Bottled water is available on request at an additional charge.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The closest doctor is in Kasane, which requires a one-hour boat trip then a short drive. In the event of a serious incident, guests would be flown to Windhoek, from Kasane.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- On Request
- There is a small pass-code protected safe in each chalet.
Other lodges in Caprivi Strip
Alternative places to stay in this same area.