Nunda River Lodge: Our full report
Nunda River Lodge (sometimes referred to as Nunda Safari Lodge) opened in May 2008 in Namibia's Caprivi Strip, ...... now renamed as the Zambezi Region. Taking the local Thimbukushu name for the fruit of the jackalberry tree, Nunda sits on the banks of the Kavango River, 2km downstream from Popa Falls (also referred to as the Popa Rapids).
With a total of 19 bungalows, Meru tents and chalets, guest accommodation at Nunda River Lodge is varied, but all the rooms and tents are clean and comfortable. In each, double or twin beds are surrounded by mosquito nets and covered with crisp white linen, with colour accents in the cushions and throws at the foot of the bed. An en-suite bathroom, with shower, single basin and flush toilet, is standard, and all rooms also have an electronic safe, floor-standing electric fan, flask of fresh drinking water and tea- and coffee-making facilities.
- Eight spacious bungalows are set under a shady canopy of trees, each with a thatched roof and a private, covered deck or patio overlooking the Kavango River. One of the bungalows has four beds, so would suit a family, and some of the en-suite bathrooms feature a bath as well as a shower.
- Seven twin-bedded Meru tents are raised off the ground on wooden decks. Like the bungalows, these too have plenty of tree shade and a private deck or patio overlooking the river.
- Four smaller chalets are set further back in the grounds from the tents and bungalows, and have no river views.
Activities from Nunda include guided game drives to Caprivi's Mahangu and Bwabwata national parks, boat cruises, bird walks and visits to a traditional village.
Nunda River Lodge is a comfortable, friendly base to explore this central part of the Caprivi – in particular Mahango National Park and Popa Falls. It’s also a short drive to the Botswana border crossing at Mahembo, so it makes a good stopover on the way towards Botswana’s Panhandle.
- Caprivi Strip, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- Two nights would be good here to explore this part of the Caprivi
- Nunda Lodge is south of Divundu, just 2km from Popa Falls.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Half Board
- Food quality
- When we visited Nunda in June 2017, we did not stay long enough to enjoy a meal, but we understand from the owner that:
Breakfast is a buffet of fresh fruit and cereals as well as a cooked breakfast to order.
Lunch is a light option of toasted sandwiches, burgers or fish with a selection of salads.
Dinner is a set menu with a choice of two main courses, which usually include a vegetarian option. They also have a buffet salad bar.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Drinks included
- Drinks are not included. Filtered drinking water is provided in the rooms.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Nunda Safari Lodge
- Property’s age restrictions
- No age restriction
- Special activities & services
- One of the bungalows has 4 beds so is suitable for a family.
- Generally recommended for children
- Because of the openness of the lodge we would suggest that it is not suitable for children under eight years old.
- Dangerous game, including crocodiles and hippos, will wander through camp day and night, and parents need to supervise children very closely at all times, the swimming pool is also unfenced.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Nunda River Lodge
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Nunda River Lodge have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- A generator is available for back up.
- There is cell-phone reception here.
- TV & radio
- There is a TV in the bar.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- The water supply is pumped from the river and filtered. Hot and cold running water is provided and the toilets are flush toilets.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a clinic at nearby Bagani and a hospital at Andara 15kms away.
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Security measures
- There are guards on duty 24 hours.
- Fire safety
- All rooms and the main area have fire extinguishers.
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is available for stays of two nights or more, with a laundry list provided in the rooms. Ironing is not possible.
- There is no currency exchange.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and Mastercard are accepted, as is cash in Nambian dollars and South African rand.
Other lodges in Caprivi Strip
Alternative places to stay in this same area.