Le Mirage Lodge: Our full report
About 20km south of Sesriem, so within relatively easy reach of the dunes of Sossusvlei, Le Mirage Resort ...... and Spa is – as the name suggests – both a lodge and a spa. It’s a somewhat imposing sight, a castle-like building in the middle of the desert.
Le Mirage is decorated in a Moroccan style, with bright blue contrasting with the orange of the desert outside; in fact the building would be better suited to Morocco than Namibia, where it sticks out for being different.
There are 27 twin rooms, all en suite and the ‘Oasis Rooms’ have balconies that look over the lush garden or out to the distant mountains. The rooms are spread over two separate buildings, with eight rooms in one, which also has a courtyard full of plants and waterfalls (Camelthorn Rooms), and the rest in the larger building (Oasis Rooms). This is complete with a pool, shaded by colourful bougainvillea and tall palms. The rooms are laid out so that every second room is much bigger than the two either side of it.
Moroccan-style antiques furnish the stone-walled rooms, whose four-poster beds are covered by monogrammed sheets. All rooms have air conditioning, a safe, an empty minibar (for which guests must request drinks), and tea- and coffee-making facilities. There are also two star decks on the ‘castle’ turrets, each complete with its own shower and toilet, where guests can sleep under the night sky: a romantic experience for a honeymoon or an anniversary, perhaps.
The main facilities at Le Mirage include a turquoise outdoor swimming pool, a restaurant and a wine cellar. A choir sometimes performs at the sundowner spot, which also has a fire. Take a look at the cascading waterfall in reception, complete with fish and surrounded by tropical plants.
A decadent spa on the ground floor of the main building at Le Mirage Resort and Spa offers a wide choice of therapies. These include Thai and Indian massage and treatments such as facials, manicures and pedicures, in five treatment rooms. Three of the rooms offer a 'massage with a view', and some are also suitable for couples.
Other activities at Le Mirage include a Sossusvlei drive with a dune breakfast, bush dinners, nature drives and quad bike tours. The lodge can also arrange scenic flights over the area. For those wishing to drive themselves to Sossusvlei, note that the Sesriem Gate is around 20km away. (NB: It's essential that you read the Quadbike warning in the 'Health & Safety' section below for our comments on insurance issues regarding this activity.)
While Le Mirage doesn't particularly blend in with its surroundings, it’s certainly different! If you don't mind staying in a larger lodge and you are looking for good spa facilities, it offers a comfortable base for trips to the dunes, although smaller lodges closer to the dunes are more convenient.
- Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- 2 nights
- Le Mirage Resort and Spa is located on the C27, around 20km south of Sesriem.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Half Board
- Food quality
- Although we did not stay here when we visited in October 2018, we did take a look at the light lunch menu. This included smoked game fillet, spicy mussels, Greek or chicken Caesar salad, various gourmet sandwiches, vegetable stir-fry and a range of pasta dishes.
We understand that dinner is a five-course set menu.
- Dining style
- Individual Tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Le Mirage Resort and Spa offers a wide range of treatments and therapies, from massages and wraps to hydrotherapy and beauty treatments. Facilities also include a large pool and steam room. Combine a stay here with a visit to the iconic dunes of Sossusvlei
- See ideas for Wellbeing
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Le Mirage Desert Lodge and Spa..
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions here.
- Special activities & services
- There are no special activities to cater for children.
- Generally recommended for children
- Although children of all ages are welcome at Le Mirage, there are no special activities to cater for children and because of the theme of the spa and relaxation, we believe it would be best for children aged 5+.
- The pool is unfenced and children would require parental supervision.
Our travellers’ wildlife sightings from Le Mirage Lodge
Since mid-2018, many of our travellers who stayed at Le Mirage Lodge have kindly recorded their wildlife sightings and shared them with us. The results are below. Click an animal to see more, and here to see more on our methodology.
- Power supply notes
- There are power sockets in all rooms, however you will need to bring your own adaptor.
- WiFi is available in public areas.
- TV & radio
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- The showers are plumbed, the toilets are flush and there is plenty of hot water.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- The nearest doctor is in Mariental, but in an emergnecy, patients would be flown to WIndhoek.
Quadbike warning: Quadbiking is sometimes available as an activity in this area. As with any potentially dangerous activity, it's vital that you ensure that you have adequate travel insurance prior to taking part. Be aware in particular that some insurances cover quadbike activities only for bikes with lower engine ratings; check such clauses particularly carefully before you get on a bike.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- The property is fenced and there is guard at night.
- Fire safety
- There is a fire extinguisher in each of the rooms and there are fire extinguishers in the main area.
Hot air ballooning
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available for an extra charge.
- There is a safe in each room. Currency exchange is not possible.
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and MasterCard are accepted here, as well as cash in Namibian dollars or South African rand.
Other lodges in Namib-Naukluft National Park
Alternative places to stay in this same area.