Katambuga House: Our full report
Situated just a 10-minute drive from Arusha Airport, Katambuga House is an elegant lodge with six comfortable bedrooms.It is set in tropical gardens and has lovely views of Mount Meru.
Katambuga House’s location, on the west side of Arusha, makes it a great choice for an overnight stay before your safari. It is close to Arusha Airport, allowing for quick transfers for onwards safari flights, and if you're on a private guided trip it allows you easily escape Arusha without driving through the town.
Katambuga House consists of just six well-appointed bedrooms, three of which are part of the main house and three which are set in the gardens. They feel fresh and modern, with a neutral colour scheme and floor to ceiling windows which let in plenty of light. Each room can be arranged either as a double or a twin, and beds are surrounded by a retractable mosquito net. They put out fresh flowers on the coffee table and artwork, including some impressive wildlife photography, decorates the walls. A ceiling fan helps to keep you cool during hot afternoons and there is an electric safe for valuables. Sliding glass doors lead out on to a veranda with a couple of chairs overlooking the garden.
All the bedrooms have an en-suite bathrooms (shower, not bathtubs) and toiletries and hairdryers are provided.
The open-plan lounge and dining area in the main house is furnished with comfortable chairs and sofas, and there's a fireplace as the focal point. There is a dining area to one side of the room with individual tables. As with the bedrooms, the lounge and dining area feels stylish, with white walls, wooden beams, beaded mirrors and monochrome photography. Outside a wide verandah has further seating and it's a good spot to gather for pre-dinner drinks.
The established gardens are beautiful, filled with tropical flowers, and on a clear day you can see Mount Meru towering above you. A flagstone path leads to a good-sized swimming pool, laid out with parasols and sun loungers.
If you're planning an extended stay in Arusha there are lots of activities on offer. Take a trip to Arusha National Park and go canoeing on the lakes or go for a day hike on the lower slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro. Alternatively, if you are looking for less strenuous activities then you may like to visit the cultural heritage centre or go for a coffee tasting tour in the nearby plantations.
Katambuga House is a small, contemporary lodge on the outskirts of Arusha. It is one of the more economical options in this area and we feel it's excellent value for money. This is a good base as an overnight before or after a safari in northern Tanzania, or for exploring Arusha.
- Arusha, Tanzania
- Ideal length of stay
- Stay one or two nights to explore Arusha or as an overnight before or after a safari.
- Katambuga House is around a 60-minute drive from Kilimanjaro Airport and only ten minutes from Arusha Airport.
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Half Board
- Food quality
- On our stay in 2018 we were impressed with the food at Katambuga House and found the dishes fresh and very tasty.
Breakfast is typically served in the dining area and consists of a cold buffet with a selection of fresh fruit, cereals, bread and pastries. Hot items are available with eggs cooked to order.
Lunch is typically a buffet. Depending on the weather, it is eaten outside on the terrace. We didn't have lunch on our visit, however we understand there is normally a good selection of salads accompanied by fresh bread.
Dinner is a more formal, three-course meal. We started with pea soup and mushroom croutons, followed by seared beef, spring vegetables and roasted cherry tomatoes. Desert was a passionfruit semifreddo served with a tropical fruit salad.
- Attitude towards children
- Katambuga House welcomes children of all ages.
- Property’s age restrictions
- Special activities & services
- Babysitting by housekeeping staff is possible.
- Baby cots and highchairs are available.
- Generally recommended for children
- We think Katambuga House is well suited for children.
- Parental supervision is required around the swimming pool.
- Power supply notes
- There is a backup generator
- There is mobile phone reception and free wi-fi throughout.
- TV & radio
- There is no TV at Katambuga House.
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Katambuga House has plumbed showers and flush toilets.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- There is a doctor on standby and it is only a short drive to a hospital in Arusha.
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Security measures
- There are security guards outside the property day and night.
- Fire safety
- Fire extinguishers are in place throughout.
- Disabled access
- In Place
- Laundry facilities
- A laundry service is available at a cost of around $3 per item.
- There are electric safes in all rooms.
- Accepted payment on location
- Katambuga House accepts all major currencies including US dollars, Euros and GB pounds. Most credit and debit cards are accepted, although there is a surcharge of 4%.
Other lodges in Arusha
Alternative places to stay in this same area.