Tangala House: Our full report
Tangala House is the private home of Ben Parker, one of Tongabezi's founders, his wife Vanessa, who works ...... closely with the local schools in the area, and their young family. It stands on the banks of the Zambezi River, near to Tongabezi Lodge, about 15km upstream from the Victoria Falls.
The house has been designed with style; it's large and completely furnished. In fact, staying here is staying in a real home – complete with the children's toys, books, and a fully-equipped kitchen.
Tangala House sleeps eight people comfortably, and makes an ideal stay for a family holiday. It has four bedrooms. Three of these are en suite, there's also a bathroom, a separate loo, a spacious kitchen/dining room, a children's playroom, a large living room opening onto a thatch veranda, a snuggery with fireplace and a 12m swimming pool.
Tangala comes fully serviced and staffed by team members from Tongabezi Lodge – including a chef and an experiences guide with a 4WD for excursions in the Livingstone area.
The house is ideal for families. It has glass windows all round and was designed to keep insects out! Staying here you'll often see elephant drinking from the opposite side of the river, as well as crocodiles and hippopotamus in the river. It's a great spot for birdwatching; so far they've noted over 145 species just from their kitchen window!
If you're planning a family safari, then in addition to Tangala House you might also consider including a trip to Zambia's other 'houses' which have been designed with families in mind. In the South Luangwa National Park, Robin Pope Safaris run the Robin's House and the Luangwa Safari House - both of which work very well for families or small groups.
For something completely different, families can have the old stately home at Shiwa Ng'andu largely to themselves – and a whole range of activities from game drives and horse-riding to archaeology projects are possible there!
Meanwhile, in the Lower Zambezi National Park, the spectacular Chongwe River House, was designed from scratch with families and small groups in mind.
- Livingstone & Victoria Falls, Zambia
- Ideal length of stay
- Note there's a minimum 3-night stay here; we'd recommend 4-5 days as ideal - including time just to relax!
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board & Activities
- Dining style
- Group Meals
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Family holidays
- Tangala House near Tongabezi is a lovely family home that can be privately hired by up to eight guests – complete with toys, books, a 12m pool, kitchen equipment, etc. Its location is well-suited for Zambia family safari holidays including a visit to the Victoria Falls.
- See ideas for Family holidays
- Tangala has its own nice, quiet spot on the Zambezi. This makes it an excellent and fairly undisturbed place for birdwatching in Zambia; the boat trips from here are also excellent.
- See ideas for Birdwatching
- Private villas & houses
- The stylish Tangala House is a lovely private house in Zambia’s Victoria Falls area that feels like a home - hosting up to eight guests. Expect excellent service from your private staff and enjoy activities like trips to the Falls or exploring the wildlife area near Livingstone.
- See ideas for Private villas & houses
- Tangala House was designed as a luxurious family house, and is used mostly by its owners. However, it can be hired for a private group of up to eight – with a staff which includes a chef, a driver, and guides to show you around Livingstone and the Falls.
- See ideas for Luxury
- Attitude towards children
- Generally recommended for children
- A real family home - and a large and stylish one at that!
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Dangerous animals
- High Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Included
Other lodges in Livingstone & Victoria Falls
Alternative places to stay in this same area.