Matemwe Beach House: Our full report
On the northeastern coast of Zanzibar, Matemwe Beach House is a private house located just next door to Matemwe Lodge.The house has its own pool and kitchen with a full butler service, but guests are also welcome to pop over to nearby Matemwe Lodge.
Most of the practical and infrastructure details that apply to Matemwe Lodge apply equally to Matemwe Beach House, and the private house is managed and supplied from the main lodge, which is just 100m away up the beach to the north.
The beach house was added to the property in 2009. It has three bedrooms, sleeping a maximum of six people in two doubles/twins downstairs, each with a bathroom, and both air-conditioned. Upstairs is an open plan space that is more suitable for younger relatives or children. At present this upstairs room does not have air-conditioning, however the plan is to finish the top floor to a fully walled and ceilinged space with air-conditioning, just like the ground floor bedrooms. We were informed that they intended to carry out this work in early 2018.
It's a good choice for families or groups of friends travelling together. When we visited in 2016, we thought the house was a very pleasant option, and were assured that senior staff often stay over in the rooms to ensure the house is always in a good state or repair.
The pool in the front deck has a toddler-proof pool fence, so it's quite a safe environment for little ones. Guests at Matemwe Beach House have access to all the same facilities as those staying at the main lodge, including the spa, swimming pools, bar and restaurant.
Activities make use of the white sand beach and the beautiful Indian Ocean. To only mention a few, you can go snorkelling, kite-surfing, do a canoe trip or explore the marine life while diving. Matemwe Lodge's watersports centre is right by the gate to the house at the back of the beach.
There are relatively few private beach houses in this part of Zanzibar, and this option makes great sense, especially for families. The fact that you can do entirely your own thing at the house, or stroll in seconds to the facilities at the main lodge, make it delightfully flexible and relaxing.
- East Coast Zanzibar, Zanzibar
- Ideal length of stay
- 4-5 nights
- Accessible by
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Full Board
- Food quality
- The food supplies at the beach house are based on what is available in the main lodge. Your chef will discuss with what – and when – you'd like to eat, and prepare meals accordingly.
- Private villas & houses
- Matemwe Beach House accommodates up to four adults and two children who wish to have a private house exclusively to themselves for their private beach holidays in Zanzibar. With its own small pool and a veranda, the house also comes complete with a private chef and butler.
- See ideas for Private villas & houses
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Matemwe Beach Lodge.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no ages restrictions here, but please note that children under 6 cannot use the main facilities at Matemwe Lodge.
- Special activities & services
- You have the option of 24-hour childminding, though not from any professionally trained staff.
- There is a cot but no high chair.
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Dangerous animals
- Low Risk
- Fire safety
- Disabled access
- Not Possible
- Laundry facilities
- Laundry is included.
Other lodges in East Coast Zanzibar
Alternative places to stay in this same area.