Damara Mopane Lodge: Our full report
Situated almost halfway between Etosha National Park and the Skeleton Coast, Damara Mopane Lodge aims to ...... deliver a comfortable rest stop in Damaraland. Although it resembles a local village in style, it feels more like a hotel.
We’ve never stayed at Damara Mopane, but we popped in for a visit and a cup of coffee in October 2018, and while we would never think of it as anything other than a hotel, it is certainly unique.
Each of its 60 chalets, connected by a labyrinth of paths, is neatly furnished, with AC, mosquito nets and an en-suite bathroom, and each has its own covered veranda. But then comes the surprise: each also has its own walled vegetable, herb and fruit garden, watered by the lodge’s filtered waste water and providing produce for the kitchen – adding a real feeling of individuality to the whole lodge.
The chalets are set in a large semi-circle around manicured green lawns and a big swimming pool, which attract plentiful birdlife. A characterful wooden bar overlooks the swimming pool from the extensive main area, where you’ll also find a large and somewhat utilitarian restaurant, and a reception with a well-stocked curio shop.
Although not well located for Damaraland’s best-known sights and activities, Damara Mopane Lodge is a very comfortable, friendly and characterful spot. Spending a night here is an ideal way to break up the long and bumpy drive between Etosha and the coast.
- Damaraland, Namibia
- Ideal length of stay
- one or two nights
- Damara Mopane Lodge is situated 25kms east from Khorixas, just off the C39.
- Accessible by
- Self-drive or Fly-and-Transfer
Food & drink
- Usual board basis
- Half Board
- Dining style
- Mixture of group dining and individual tables
- Dining locations
- Indoor and Outdoor Dining
- Further dining info, including room service
- Room service is not offered here.
- Attitude towards children
- Children are welcome at Damara Mopane Lodge.
- Property’s age restrictions
- There are no age restrictions here.
- Special activities & services
- No special activities offered for children
- Children must be under parental supervision at all times.
- Power supply notes
- Generator and mains electricity
- Water supply
- Water supply notes
- Mains water supply for drinking and general use and borehole for watering the gardens and for pool use.
Making ‘honest’ food with home-grown ingredients
Damara Mopane Lodge is positioned 20 km east of the town Khorixas and is nestled within the heart of the Damaraland. Ever since opening its doors in 2010, it has been operating following the principles of sustainability. Continuous efforts in becoming self-sufficient can be seen in the lodge’s initiative to engage both staff and visitors in producing its organic, home-grown products.
The innovative vegetable patches in each of the 55 bungalows supply fresh sun-drenched vegetables such as spinach and beetroot to the entire lodge. Apart from demonstrating self-sufficiency, the project reduces the lodges’ carbon footprint, achieved through minimal outsourcing and reduced food miles. Guests are also encouraged to embrace their role within the sustainable process as they watch the staff hand pick the vegetables from the chalets’ gardens in the evening before they are sent to the kitchens to be freshly prepared. Moreover, the verandas and vegetable patches create ideal spaces for the guests to observe the surrounding Mopane trees, and learn more about the native species, making each individual stay just that bit closer to the nature of Damaraland.
The lodge truly demonstrates its well-deserved Namibia Eco Award of four desert flowers, the award which the lodge voluntary participated within in 2015.
See more great sustainability projects in Namibia
Health & safety
- Malarial protection recommended
- Medical care
- the nearest doctor is in Khorixas
- Dangerous animals
- Moderate Risk
- Security measures
- Gate is manned by a guard throughout the day and the gate is locked after dark.
- Fire safety
- There are fire extinguishers around the main area and one near each room.
Guided walking safari
- Disabled access
- On Request
- Laundry facilities
- Full Laundry Service - Extra Charge
- Yes each room has a safe
- Accepted payment on location
- Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted
Other lodges in Damaraland
Alternative places to stay in this same area.